IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can't decide between BMW 328i/330i and IS300

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 01:07 PM
MacroZed
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
^I see your point Macro but remember 20 years ago Toyota wasn't exactly cutting edge. They did not make vehicles to compete with BMW in terms of performance. Now Lexus is BARELY entering the performance era where they actually compete in terms of suspensions and powertrains and gadgets--all things BMWs have had for decades and have had some reliability problems because of that. So now today with lexus barely entering into turbo engines and more dynamic bushing-heavy suspensions, you're going to start to see to some degree Lexus starting to fall victim to some of the same problems BMW, Audi, MBZ has with powertrain and wear. There's more complexities when you start adding turbos and all the other intricate sub-systems that revolve around it, including electronics. I mean we saw the other day of a guy with a brand new IS that had his entertainment system on the fritz, or the constant turbo regulator valves that keep going out on the 200T. Older Camrys and Lexuses did not have all these gadgets. My point is Lexus is now forced to play in the powertrain and tech field to compete with the big boys and that Lexus reputation stemming from 15-30 year old N/A 3.5L V6 engines and grandma slow shifting transmissions and basic suspensions isn't going to be exactly as flawless anymore as Lexus is just now entering the "pay to play" automotive world. Do any of us here think Lexus's new Turbo LS is going to be as flawless as the older ones with the standard V8? The new LS is packed up the wazoo with tech. Only time will tell!
I hear ya. You do make a valid point.

It's the same reasoning that makes me want to buy a later production E46 (1999-2005 3-series for the non-BMW people) with a NA straight 6. I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat if it was babied and garaged its entire life.

And also, I'm with you on the new 3-series back end. I like it. But then again, I'm a BMW guy...I even like some of the Bangle-butt BMW rear ends.

Old 09-13-18, 01:15 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MacroZed
But then again, I'm a BMW guy...I even like some of the Bangle-butt BMW rear ends.
Wouldn't that make you NOT a BMW guy if you actually like the Bangle butt era? lol

Old 09-13-18, 01:26 PM
MacroZed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Wouldn't that make you NOT a BMW guy if you actually like the Bangle butt era? lol
Negative. I thought the Bangle-designed Z4 were just plain gorgeous. I miss mine every day.

Old 09-13-18, 01:30 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ THIS ^^^

I just got rid of my 2012 X5 because of exactly this. I was spending $200-400 on repairs and maintenance a month on a vehicle that barely had 60k miles. It was eating me alive....and that was with me doing all the labor.

I switched to Lexus because of the legendary build quality and reliability. I've worked on 20 year old Toyotas that still had original parts that held up beautifully. I hope to have the same experience with my Lexus.

Do the BMWs drive better? I would have to say yes. I am especially interested in the new 3 series coming out later this year as E46CT suggested.
But even with all the improvements on the new 3 series, you still have to contend with the quirkiness of BMW. I would love to have a new BMW, but I would NOT keep it after a couple of years due to their maintenance requirements.
I remember reading a while ago that the X5 and 7 series were the worst cars to own along with range rover and infiniti qx80 due to maintenance issues. With any BMW, keeping the car beyond 6 yrs is not an ideal option unless you are not scared putting your hand under the engine cover. Anyways, coming back to answer OP, you should try driving them back to back at a carmax or someplace and judge by yourself. You already know which car you will spend more money on maintenance. With either car, drive them for atleast 15-20 miles in varying types of roads (highway, neighborhoor road etc).
The following users liked this post:
doctor80 (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 01:37 PM
ZISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The @$$ end is one of the best things about the design. Not sure how it can be hideous since it's quite similar to the IS, particularly the tail lights and trunk. That's an absolutely masterful design. Also m3 starts around 62k. I think you are thinking M5.
In no way does it represent anything close or similar to the Lexus rear end, you take that back. Don't disgrace our cars gorgeous styling with something that looks more similar to a honda accord. Masterful?... its a rectangle with sexy German styling, very square like LOL . I've seen sexier lines on a football field, like the cheerleading line. Also, 62K in the USA, 100K for us Canadians.

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
LMAO!!! If a rammed a Mack truck into the back of an IS, it would look EXACTLY like that 3 series.
Don't kid yourself, we the people say the back end is ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but damn that thing is fugly!
Couldn't agree with you more. I consider the BMW 3series the honda civic of Germany.
Old 09-13-18, 01:41 PM
doctor80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ THIS ^^^

I just got rid of my 2012 X5 because of exactly this. I was spending $200-400 on repairs and maintenance a month on a vehicle that barely had 60k miles. It was eating me alive....and that was with me doing all the labor.
Can you explain m what went wrong with the car?
2012 is relatively newish car.
Just curious to know.
Old 09-13-18, 01:50 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

^I see your point Macro but remember 20 years ago Toyota wasn't exactly cutting edge. They did not make vehicles to compete with BMW in terms of performance. Now Lexus is BARELY entering the performance era where they actually compete in terms of suspensions and powertrains and gadgets--all things BMWs have had for decades and have had some reliability problems because of that. So now today with lexus barely entering into turbo engines and more dynamic bushing-heavy suspensions, you're going to start to see to some degree Lexus starting to fall victim to some of the same problems BMW, Audi, MBZ has with powertrain and wear. There's more complexities when you start adding turbos and all the other intricate sub-systems that revolve around it, including electronics. I mean we saw the other day of a guy with a brand new IS that had his entertainment system on the fritz, or the constant turbo regulator valves that keep going out on the 200T. Older Camrys and Lexuses did not have all these gadgets. My point is Lexus is now forced to play in the powertrain and tech field to compete with the big boys and that Lexus reputation stemming from 15-30 year old N/A 3.5L V6 engines and grandma slow shifting transmissions and basic suspensions isn't going to be exactly as flawless anymore as Lexus is just now entering the "pay to play" automotive world. Do any of us here think Lexus's new Turbo LS is going to be as flawless as the older ones with the standard V8? The new LS is packed up the wazoo with tech. Only time will tell!
A couple of notes on this...and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.

Toyota has built vehicles since the mid-80's that have had turbos (Celica, MR2, Supra), all the way up to the last twin turbo Supra in 1998.
Among that decade and a half, they also had vehicles with Superchargers...MR2 and Previa.
20 years ago Toyota wasn't trying to compete with BMW...at that time Lexus only had 4 models if I count correctly (LS, ES, SC, and GS). The brand was just taking off, especially when they introduced the GS400 in the late 90's.
You will definitely find powertrain and tech that is older in the Toyota/Lexus/Scion lines, and the Toyota philosophy is to engineer, test, and perfect this components before putting them to market...therefore making them superior in quality and reliability than the other manufacturers, like BMW, that just stuff them into the vehicle and hope it works. Nothing is perfect, but certainly Toyota strives to make it as perfect as they can...can't really say the Germans do with the track record of Audi, MB, and BMW...or even VW.
Toyota has also been first to market with a lot of automotive innovations that work, and work well...1998 Prius, or for us in NA, the 2001 Prius.

Last but not least, it's probably not widely known that BMW, in the late 90's bought a 1996 Toyota Camry to reverse engineer it.
The goal was to discover why the vehicle was as good as it was.
Up to 1996, and even years after, the 1996 Toyota Camry remains, and will always remain, one of the most over engineered vehicles of it's time.
IMO...no point giving me a bunch of buttons, bells, and whistles of half of them are not gonna work, or give me problems constantly.

I hope Toyota/Lexus never competes with BMW, MB, or Audi...I'd rather they stand alone with their own reputation, which will always set them apart from the rest of the field.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
doctor80 (09-13-18), ZISF (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 01:52 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

I wonder if he had the twin turbo V8. Bmw's turbo V8s of the era (particularly 12/13) were NOTORIOUS for bad engineering. they went back to the drawing board and completely redesigned the V8 for the 14 models cause it was so bad. Valve steam seals, coolant pipe leaks, vanos problems etc. The redesigned V8 was stout AF. It was designed as a "Tu" or technical update engine model.

all the I6s including the turbo ones are pretty stout. push 800 -1000 whp on the stock insides. very very beefy and well done engine.

you just get usual german oil leaks. cause when you start to play with turbos you get a lot more parts and plumbing. same with any car when you introduce turbos.
Old 09-13-18, 01:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

To the OP, have you driven the cars back to back? The F30 generation 3 series handles worse than the IS350 F-sport. I drove the F30 back to back and found the IS350 to be better in steering feel and handling. Most 3rd party reviewers say the same. The new G20 will be better though so you should definitely wait for those if you are going to BMW. If i were buying today though, my money would go to an S4. I'd also test drive the Genesis G70. I'm thinking going a little smaller even and geting the RS3.
The following users liked this post:
doctor80 (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 02:08 PM
doctor80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
To the OP, have you driven the cars back to back? The F30 generation 3 series handles worse than the IS350 F-sport. I drove the F30 back to back and found the IS350 to be better in steering feel and handling. Most 3rd party reviewers say the same. The new G20 will be better though so you should definitely wait for those if you are going to BMW. If i were buying today though, my money would go to an S4. I'd also test drive the Genesis G70. I'm thinking going a little smaller even and geting the RS3.
No not yet.
Did you test drive the 328 or the 320?
Per my understanding these are two completely different vehicles.
Old 09-13-18, 02:18 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Yeah I forgot to mention, winter is fun in the IS 300 AWD. It drives really nicely in the snow. Very driftable. Can't speak to that on the BMW, might also be really good for all I know.
Old 09-13-18, 02:18 PM
MacroZed
Rookie

Originally Posted by doctor80
Can you explain m what went wrong with the car?
2012 is relatively newish car.
Just curious to know.
Electric water pump / thermostat / overflow tank. Went out at 61k miles. $550 in parts, 6 hours in my labor.
Valve cover gaskets. Leaked like a sieve. $45 for the gasket, 6 hours labor.
Tension struts....causes instability under braking, much like the 3IS LCA bushings. $200 plus an hour of my time.
60K mile tune up. Plugs, fluid change. About $200, plus 5 hours labor.

I was about to do the transmission service, but I decided to part ways with this monster. I bought the parts ($350), but never did the work. That X5 is someone else's problem now.

Don't get me wrong....I understand that things break. And some things need tended to before they break. But all of the above took place between March - July this year.
Enough is (and was) enough.

I do miss the 300hp/300tq though. That thing drove really well too, for a big SUV.

Old 09-13-18, 02:28 PM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

Hello guys.
I am quite new to this forum.
Currently I drive Mazda 3 2010. In close future I'm going to upgrade the car to either BMW 3 series or Lexus IS 300.
I just wanted to get your opinion on that (and I know this is a Lexus forum and favor will go definitely towards Lexus).
What is important to me, is a car handling and the driving pleasure experience.
I'm not looking for the badge in particular.
I'm a reasonably mechanically inclined, and doing all my maintenance by myself.
What is especially important to me are opinions from people here that did the switch from BMW to Lexus or vice versa, or potentially have both cars and can compare.
Feel free to criticize and whatever
Thank you very much!

That's funny, I had a 2010 Mazda 3 as well. My transmission went in March and I decided to go with a Lexus Is 300 AWD. I had been thinking about getting a Lexus next year but once this happened I just decided to take the plunge early. Anyway, I've never once driven a BMW, but I can say I love the IS 300 and would recommend it for anyone thinking about it. Great fun car with some power (all you'll need for every day driving) and incredibly reliable. Good luck with your decision
Old 09-13-18, 02:56 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Electric water pump / thermostat / overflow tank. Went out at 61k miles. $550 in parts, 6 hours in my labor.
Valve cover gaskets. Leaked like a sieve. $45 for the gasket, 6 hours labor.
Tension struts....causes instability under braking, much like the 3IS LCA bushings. $200 plus an hour of my time.
60K mile tune up. Plugs, fluid change. About $200, plus 5 hours labor.

I was about to do the transmission service, but I decided to part ways with this monster. I bought the parts ($350), but never did the work. That X5 is someone else's problem now.

Don't get me wrong....I understand that things break. And some things need tended to before they break. But all of the above took place between March - July this year.
Enough is (and was) enough.

I do miss the 300hp/300tq though. That thing drove really well too, for a big SUV.
Ah you had N54/N55? Electric water pump. Yeah it happens. Usually goes beyond 100k though. But yeah they're expensive.

Thrust arms.. yep those go around that time. As would our CABs. But the thrust arms have a lot more aluminum in them. Valve cover gasket.. understandble. Only one gasket right. Did the N54 get more complex than earlier M54s? The n54 is heavily based on the M54. in my experience that was a 1 hour job. first time. i can do them in 25-30 min now. Spark plugs while you're in there. These things can theoretically go (and do) on Lexus too. Our cars use a manual water pump for now but I can see in the future lexus moving to electric. Enjoy our somewhat analog powertrains for now. things won't be so rosy in the future!

this is why i like to lease my cars now. 30k miles and done. onto the next one. someone else's problem!
Old 09-13-18, 03:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

No not yet.
Did you test drive the 328 or the 320?
Per my understanding these are two completely different vehicles.
I test drove the 335 back to back with the IS350 F-sport. The 335 was loaded with the M package and stickered around $60k. The handling still wasn't great and thought the IS was better. My buddies 340 is a bit better but generally, the F30 chassis is a disappointment.