IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 04:56 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Ya I had to cut out the little squares as well, aznknightz are you having the issues me and flash are having with flickering. Hoping for that update today.
Old 10-22-18, 08:30 AM
aznknightz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, here is my initial review and after reading this thread in its entirety.

Quick shout out to @Flash5 for the fast reply as I was trying to install/hooking up 1 of 3 cables from car into the radio that didn't fit.

My Car: 2017 IS200t F-Sport

Cost: $850 + 100 AA/AC adapter + fees = $977 shipped.

Installation Difficulty: Medium to Slightly Hard (Definitely not easy as you would have to know what you are doing. Requires 2 sides leg rest, 2 silver sides plastic molding, controller ****, center console, and radio removal. LCD unit at the top is the only thing that we are taking out and replace with new unit.)

Install Duration: 3-4 hrs

Install Feedback: I had helped with a friend who is MECP tech at local AV store. We took our time as there was no installation guide included as mentioned and the videos on YouTube are just enough to get your console opened, and start plugging cables in via trial and error method. We ran into a small snag during the install as one of the cable coming from the car wouldnt fit into the back female side of the harness. You can see my picture couple of posts back. I also didn't see anything mentioned about the LCD bracket being slightly modified, but we took out the mounting bracket from the old LCD, dremel part of it down so that the cable can be plugged in (you'll know what part it is as its the only one that blocking the holes). I mount the GPS near the windshield similar to dkotoric's. However, I didnt run the wire through the glove box but rather drilled a small hole at the center console armrest and loop it out so that I plug and unplug easier. Aside from those things, I recommend you all to read @dkotoric first post, and then read it again several times before attempting. The backup camera adapter is easy and straight forward. Plug into one of the lead at the top (color black i think), then plug into one of the yellow RCA that has Chinese words with number "1" on it.

UI interface.
I think dkotoric's video review is pretty much spot on. The aspect ratio of the LEXUS default infotainment did become slightly stretched but I turned back on the dual info mode where it has the picture of the temp/km til empty gas tank/etc etc and the problem went away. Everything look crisp, sharp, and clear. There wasnt any UI lag that I could feel but I had it less than 24hrs but so far so good. **** response very good and might be even faster than the original LEXUS UI. I did buy the adapter for Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I tested with my Samsung S9+ and AA works great. Plug the adapter in first, launch the AA app on the head unit. and then plug in your phone. It will auto recognize and put it in AA mode. Took me an about to sit in the car and update all the apps. There are some small UI bugs and kinks but I need to play with it more so that I make sure its repeatable and a real bug.

My feedback is limited as its only been less than 24hrs since installation. I am taking a 4hrs road trip in a couple of hours and will be using it more heavily. I'll update this post after the drive.

Overall Im extremely satisfied with the headunit. Been wanting AA since dawn of time and finally made the dive for the unit. I hope this unit will last 3-4yrs and I'll be happy. By then I wouldnt mind upgrading into something faster. PS. During my install and me scrambling for guides, I noticed 4x4shop.ca raised the price to $1100. *ouch*

Originally Posted by dkotoric
Ya I had to cut out the little squares as well, aznknightz are you having the issues me and flash are having with flickering. Hoping for that update today.
I did not experienced any flickering and I hope not to! (knock on wood) LOL. I noticed my Android OS version is in between your first one and your replacement? Your first is 180806, replacement is 180910. Mine is 180807. Please keep us posted if you gotten the new update and if it fixes the flickering.

Old 10-22-18, 08:36 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Great thanks, took me about 2.5 -3 hours to install first time and only about 1-1.5hrs the 2nd time
Old 10-22-18, 08:36 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by aznknightz
Alright, here is my initial review and after reading this thread in its entirety.

Quick shout out to @Flash5 for the fast reply as I was trying to install/hooking up 1 of 3 cables from car into the radio that didn't fit.

My Car: 2017 IS200t F-Sport

Cost: $850 + 100 AA/AC adapter + fees = $977 shipped.

Installation Difficulty: Medium to Slightly Hard (Definitely not easy as you would have to know what you are doing. Requires 2 sides leg rest, 2 silver sides plastic molding, controller ****, center console, and radio removal. LCD unit at the top is the only thing that we are taking out and replace with new unit.)

Install Duration: 3-4 hrs

Install Feedback: I had helped with a friend who is MECP tech at local AV store. We took our time as there was no installation guide included as mentioned and the videos on YouTube are just enough to get your console opened, and start plugging cables in via trial and error method. We ran into a small snag during the install as one of the cable coming from the car wouldnt fit into the back female side of the harness. You can see my picture couple of posts back. I also didn't see anything mentioned about the LCD bracket being slightly modified, but we took out the mounting bracket from the old LCD, dremel part of it down so that the cable can be plugged in (you'll know what part it is as its the only one that blocking the holes). I mount the GPS near the windshield similar to dkotoric's. However, I didnt run the wire through the glove box but rather drilled a small hole at the center console armrest and loop it out so that I plug and unplug easier. Aside from those things, I recommend you all to read @dkotoric first post, and then read it again several times before attempting. The backup camera adapter is easy and straight forward. Plug into one of the lead at the top (color black i think), then plug into one of the yellow RCA that has Chinese words with number "1" on it.

UI interface.
I think dkotoric's video review is pretty much spot on. The aspect ratio of the LEXUS default infotainment did become slightly stretched but I turned back on the dual info mode where it has the picture of the temp/km til empty gas tank/etc etc and the problem went away. Everything look crisp, sharp, and clear. There wasnt any UI lag that I could feel but I had it less than 24hrs but so far so good. **** response very good and might be even faster than the original LEXUS UI. I did buy the adapter for Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I tested with my Samsung S9+ and AA works great. Plug the adapter in first, launch the AA app on the head unit. and then plug in your phone. It will auto recognize and put it in AA mode. Took me an about to sit in the car and update all the apps. There are some small UI bugs and kinks but I need to play with it more so that I make sure its repeatable and a real bug.

My feedback is limited as its only been less than 24hrs since installation. I am taking a 4hrs road trip in a couple of hours and will be using it more heavily. I'll update this post after the drive.

Overall Im extremely satisfied with the headunit. Been wanting AA since dawn of time and finally made the dive for the unit. I hope this unit will last 3-4yrs and I'll be happy. By then I wouldnt mind upgrading into something faster. PS. During my install and me scrambling for guides, I noticed 4x4shop.ca raised the price to $1100. *ouch*

I did not experienced any flickering and I hope not to! (knock on wood) LOL. I noticed my Android OS version is in between your first one and your replacement? Your first is 180806, replacement is 180910. Mine is 180807. Please keep us posted if you gotten the new update and if it fixes the flickering.
I forgot to tell you the bracket wasn’t needed anymore lol. The 4 little plastic yellow or blue pieces on the stock stereo are supposed to be removed and put on the new unit and those clips hold the new unit in place. Also dkotoric has posted a picture circling which connectors to remove from the stock stereo unit so you wouldn’t have to guess that helped a lot. Glad to hear you’re install went good though and hopefully 4x4 Shop sends us the update today so the flickering will stop. You got lucky you didn’t get a botched software update haha.
Old 10-22-18, 08:40 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Flash5 I just asked 4x4 if we are getting update today, he replied saying he is uploading the file right now 755MB.
Old 10-22-18, 08:44 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Flash5 I just asked 4x4 if we are getting update today, he replied saying he is uploading the file right now 755MB.
Awesome!!!
Old 10-22-18, 08:55 AM
aznknightz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thanks, took me about 2.5 -3 hours to install first time and only about 1-1.5hrs the 2nd time
Yea I figured it could be faster but we lost some good time when the cable doesn't fit. Had to google, youtube, and tried contacting 4x4 even though they closed on Sunday lol.

Originally Posted by Flash5
I forgot to tell you the bracket wasn’t needed anymore lol. The 4 little plastic yellow or blue pieces on the stock stereo are supposed to be removed and put on the new unit and those clips hold the new unit in place. Also dkotoric has posted a picture circling which connectors to remove from the stock stereo unit so you wouldn’t have to guess that helped a lot. Glad to hear you’re install went good though and hopefully 4x4 Shop sends us the update today so the flickering will stop. You got lucky you didn’t get a botched software update haha.
Ok that makes sense. Oh well, it's in there super securely now LOL. Yea only after we gotten 2 of the cables in and ran into the issue where I start to read all the posts in this thread and saw the pics.

Oh joy!! Btw is the update via the USB cable? Assuming upload to flash drive, plug usb it into the usb cable and do Firmware update?

Praying for flickering fix, UI bug fixes, and dare to say...metric to imperial? lol
Old 10-22-18, 09:01 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aznknightz
Yea I figured it could be faster but we lost some good time when the cable doesn't fit. Had to google, youtube, and tried contacting 4x4 even though they closed on Sunday lol.

Ok that makes sense. Oh well, it's in there super securely now LOL. Yea only after we gotten 2 of the cables in and ran into the issue where I start to read all the posts in this thread and saw the pics.

Oh joy!! Btw is the update via the USB cable? Assuming upload to flash drive, plug usb it into the usb cable and do Firmware update?

Praying for flickering fix, UI bug fixes, and dare to say...metric to imperial? lol
Will let you know and I assume its via USB Flash drive. I wouldn't update if I was you if everything is working until we have tested ours for a day or two.
Old 10-22-18, 09:07 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Will let you know and I assume its via USB Flash drive. I wouldn't update if I was you if everything is working until we have tested ours for a day or two.
Yeah you put it on the flash drive and plug into the usb from the unit not the oem USB ports. I did it because they gave me a mini update thinking it would fix it but didn’t then they “figured it out” and that’s the update we are about to receive. I highly doubt we will get a metric to imperial option haha. I’m going overseas to Europe soon for 3 years so it works out for me that it’s metric d:
Old 10-22-18, 09:15 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Yeah you put it on the flash drive and plug into the usb from the unit not the oem USB ports. I did it because they gave me a mini update thinking it would fix it but didn’t then they “figured it out” and that’s the update we are about to receive. I highly doubt we will get a metric to imperial option haha. I’m going overseas to Europe soon for 3 years so it works out for me that it’s metric d:
Ya I wouldn't think anything but the USB from the unit. So do you have to go the the update section under settings or does it start the update automatically?
Old 10-22-18, 09:15 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Ya I wouldn't think anything but the USB from the unit. So do you have to go the the update section under settings or does it start the update automatically?
You go to settings and do it manually.
Old 10-22-18, 09:18 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

You go to settings and do it manually.
Ok figured, thanks, seems like their upload speed is low as still nothing from them, even though I wont be able to update until I get home as my work pc wont accept USB drives, they have it blocked.
Old 10-22-18, 09:19 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Ok figured, thanks, seems like their upload speed is low as still nothing from them, even though I wont be able to update until I get home as my work pc wont accept USB drives, they have it blocked.
As soon as I get the file I am going to go update my unit and hold my breath
Old 10-22-18, 09:24 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

As soon as I get the file I am going to go update my unit and hold my breath
I will attempt right away as well by downloading it to the root of my android phone and hooking it up to the the unit via file transfer.
Old 10-22-18, 09:27 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

As a seperate item i also got the CarPlay cable and get this error message in the app when i launch it, I want the update for flashing screen first so didn't even bother 4x4 about it yet as I just got the cable late last week. Can u guys help?

Last edited by dkotoric; 10-22-18 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca