IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca

Old 02-27-19, 01:57 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

This one already runs Apple CarPlay.
I was watching a video on the person that had installed this, he said you had to have a specific type of infotainment **** (round circle) to use the head unit, I have the rectangular one.
Old 02-27-19, 02:33 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
I was watching a video on the person that had installed this, he said you had to have a specific type of infotainment **** (round circle) to use the head unit, I have the rectangular one.
They already fixed this with a new harness for those with the gps ****.
Old 02-27-19, 09:29 PM
JoA
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flash5

Hmm, after the initial software bugs got fixed, I haven’t had any issues. That low temp issue is weird (how long are we talking). I think if you don’t have a big screen already and you want more functionality, it’s definitely worth it if you get it for $750 like I did d:
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely enjoy it and paid $550 via a group buy organized by one of the FB Tundra members. From -5 to -20C, before the truck warmed up the screen went scrambled and froze, 4x over the last couple of months, a simple pin reboot got it going. I'm attributing it to low temps but can't say for sure, it's happened to others in our group. Wondering what extreme heat will do to it too. I can handle it if it happens once or twice a month as long as it comes back. The thing is, this doesn't happen to the stock unit at all. I've kept mine in case I need to install it back later.

No software bugs here but the configuration settings can drive people nuts. A lot of members were having mic issues and a parameter change buried in the settings that requires a passcode to get in was the fix, I forget what the setting was called or how the individual figured it out, the name of the setting had nothing to do with sound or mics lol.

People should just be prepared it's a very rewarding head unit, but there may be small hurdles along the way. I still remember opening the box, a big HU, a bunch of harnesses and no instructions lol. Phoenix now has several videos online, and our FB group has really become a huge knowledge base.
Old 02-27-19, 11:30 PM
Sonn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoA
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely enjoy it and paid $550 via a group buy organized by one of the FB Tundra members. From -5 to -20C, before the truck warmed up the screen went scrambled and froze, 4x over the last couple of months, a simple pin reboot got it going. I'm attributing it to low temps but can't say for sure, it's happened to others in our group. Wondering what extreme heat will do to it too. I can handle it if it happens once or twice a month as long as it comes back. The thing is, this doesn't happen to the stock unit at all. I've kept mine in case I need to install it back later.

No software bugs here but the configuration settings can drive people nuts. A lot of members were having mic issues and a parameter change buried in the settings that requires a passcode to get in was the fix, I forget what the setting was called or how the individual figured it out, the name of the setting had nothing to do with sound or mics lol.

People should just be prepared it's a very rewarding head unit, but there may be small hurdles along the way. I still remember opening the box, a big HU, a bunch of harnesses and no instructions lol. Phoenix now has several videos online, and our FB group has really become a huge knowledge base.
Will definitely buy once everything is solved. Hope it will get cheaper too lol 😉
Old 02-27-19, 11:48 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JoA

Gotcha. Yeah the lowest temp for me has been 20 F and I didn’t have any issues. Right now the one and only super frustrating issue is that the audio sounds really bad over AUX and Media. I have to use Bluetooth then in Apple CarPlay I have to airplay the music to Bluetooth so it doesn’t play over the Apple CarPlay box thingy. Overall, I would purchase again. I just hope it lasts long (at least 3 years).
Old 02-28-19, 08:12 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JWIS350
My top right corner is a little wonky. And yes, this thing rattles. I've rolled up a few pieces of black electricians tape and placed in each corner. Keeps the bezel in contact with the dash lip. Somewhat stops the rattles when driving.

The other part that is a tad noisy is the plastic trim piece that replaces the OEM one. I used some Velcro pads to hold it in place better.

I'm home tomorrow and will try switching AUX and A/V to hear the audio difference.
I was able to get a video from the engineer on fixing the screen rattling in the housing (attached), it worked great for me and you should be able to get rid of that electrical tape now. I pushed the screen in as far as possible and locked in the two side clips and top clip on each side.. There are bottom clips you can adjust as well if needed.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
how to fix the screen.avi (3.46 MB, 89 views)

Last edited by MD3; 02-28-19 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 02-28-19, 08:14 AM
MD3
Pit Crew

Hi All - Can someone take a picture of what your stock Lexus "GPS" signal looks like on the Lexus side when you get a lock? I still can't get my compass or Lexus GPS to get a signal, I'm sure it's something I did on the install. I'm trying to figure out if i'm actually getting a signal or not, my "GPS" image below the compass is a small grayed out rectangle.

Anyone? I mean, clearly I'm not actually in the pacific ocean haha. Does your GPS indicator look like mine (a bit grayed out) or bigger and not grayed out???

Last edited by MD3; 03-01-19 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-17-19, 06:16 PM
Sonn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoA

You know anyone that is willing to do group buy? O also want to buy one.
Old 03-18-19, 12:27 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sonn
You know anyone that is willing to do group buy? O also want to buy one.
We can’t do group buys over the forum. The seller isn’t a vendor here so it’s not allowed. I tried when it first came out and got yelled at lmao.
Old 03-18-19, 05:49 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by MD3
Hi All - Can someone take a picture of what your stock Lexus "GPS" signal looks like on the Lexus side when you get a lock? I still can't get my compass or Lexus GPS to get a signal, I'm sure it's something I did on the install. I'm trying to figure out if i'm actually getting a signal or not, my "GPS" image below the compass is a small grayed out rectangle.

Anyone? I mean, clearly I'm not actually in the pacific ocean haha. Does your GPS indicator look like mine (a bit grayed out) or bigger and not grayed out???
Just a general comment if this still isn't fixed, with the GPS grayed out and clearly your location is incorrect, looks like there is an issue with the GPS antenna.
I'm not sure if it's built in or seperate on this unit...but it acts like if it's not connected or not functioning.
Of course if you're inside a building while doing this, it may act the same way due to the building blocking the signal.
Old 03-19-19, 02:09 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Just a general comment if this still isn't fixed, with the GPS grayed out and clearly your location is incorrect, looks like there is an issue with the GPS antenna.
I'm not sure if it's built in or seperate on this unit...but it acts like if it's not connected or not functioning.
Of course if you're inside a building while doing this, it may act the same way due to the building blocking the signal.
Thanks for the reply, I had to take my car in for a fresh set of slippers (tires) and had them look at the GPS as well asking them not to fix it if it wasn't an easy software issue. They said the same thing as far is it being hardware related. I think I just didn't plug it in all the way during the install and need to get back behind the stereo to adjust it. I've been lazy about it since I never use it.
Old 03-19-19, 04:47 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Anyone know the status of a unit conversion (metric to English) update?
Old 03-19-19, 11:23 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
Anyone know the status of a unit conversion (metric to English) update?
Nope, I haven't asked though.
Old 03-21-19, 11:37 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I asked a month ago and didn't get a response
Old 03-21-19, 12:41 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dkotoric
I asked a month ago and didn't get a response
I thought you disappeared lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10.25 Inch Display Android Car Radio GPS Navigation Head Unit from 4x4Shop.ca