ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   Exhaust Install (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/898597-exhaust-install.html)

Flash5 09-04-18 03:33 PM

Exhaust Install

Who has done their own axleback install and how hard was it etc? I would appreciate the help before I go try to install mine. Thanks.

Rudiculous 09-04-18 05:11 PM

It's pretty straightforward:

1. Lift the rear of the car
2. Spray WD-40 on the hangers, rubber holders, and 4 bolts that connect to mid-pipe
3. Unbolt and wiggle the exhaust off
4. Spray again, but on the new hangers and wiggle on
5. Bolt up the 4 and you're done

Flash5 09-04-18 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rudiculous (Post 10297279)
It's pretty straightforward:

1. Lift the rear of the car
2. Spray WD-40 on the hangers, rubber holders, and 4 bolts that connect to mid-pipe
3. Unbolt and wiggle the exhaust off
4. Spray again, but on the new hangers and wiggle on
5. Bolt up the 4 and you're done

Do most axlebacks come with a gasket or just use the one already on there?

Burrcold 09-04-18 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Flash5 (Post 10297290)

Do most axlebacks come with a gasket or just use the one already on there?

Use the one that you already have. It's definitely helpful to do it with a friend though. I've done axle backs on many previous cars and they were all easy (even with simple jacks...if you have jack stands it will be simple).

Flash5 09-04-18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Burrcold (Post 10297298)

Use the one that you already have. It's definitely helpful to do it with a friend though. I've done axle backs on many previous cars and they were all easy (even with simple jacks...if you have jack stands it will be simple).

I have access to lifts and all kinds of pro tools so it should be easy. Also my friend will be with me. I just wanted to see if there were any weird issues people have run into before. Thanks for your replies.

truu 09-04-18 07:00 PM

The only difficult part of the install was removing the bolts. I had limited tools, no lift, and I live in Canada so those bolt rusted and seized on like *****. Other than that it was straight forward. I also used the existing gasket and saved the provided one for a future date.

Flash5 09-04-18 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by truu (Post 10297387)
The only difficult part of the install was removing the bolts. I had limited tools, no lift, and I live in Canada so those bolt rusted and seized on like *****. Other than that it was straight forward. I also used the existing gasket and saved the provided one for a future date.

Awesome! Thanks for the insight! I appreciate it. I知 pretty mechanically inclined so I don稚 foresee issues, Installing my lowering springs was rough so I知 sure this is way easier lol.

ex00 09-04-18 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Flash5 (Post 10297392)

Awesome! Thanks for the insight! I appreciate it. I知 pretty mechanically inclined so I don稚 foresee issues, Installing my lowering springs was rough so I知 sure this is way easier lol.

If you were installing the midpipe there are some extra steps to do this right like loosening some of the plastic underbody panels to get to the middle bracket for the midpipe which takes some time since there are bolts, clips and screws. The bolts holding the axleback to the midpipe are bolted down pretty tight, air tools didn't get them off so I had to use some wrenches and loosen the bolts before using air tools.

Other than that align the axleback and take your time.

DJSpeed 09-05-18 01:32 AM

not install guide.. but u get the idea

JNP1227 09-05-18 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the installation guide from Lexus for an axle back. Hope it helps.

chinox22x 09-05-18 07:54 AM

hardest part is removing hangers...on some cars they are a pain in the a$$!

i'd use pb blaster the night before on the bolts if they seized up, that will make things faster the following day for removal.

Flash5 09-05-18 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by chinox22x (Post 10297699)
hardest part is removing hangers...on some cars they are a pain in the a$$!

i'd use pb blaster the night before on the bolts if they seized up, that will make things faster the following day for removal.

I知 hoping since my car only has 5,000 miles that I知 not at that point lol.

Flash5 09-05-18 08:03 AM

Thanks everybody. Seems like it’s going to be a simple install as no one has mentioned any real complicated issues they ran into. Seems the axleback install is indeed as easy as I thought. Will update once I do it on Friday.

henrymc8 09-05-18 08:39 AM

Something simple with 4 bolts only, I still can't get 2 bolts loose. I soaked bolts with PB blaster for 4 days straight and tried to heat them up with proprane torch no luck. One mechanic says $40 to loosen 2 bolts because he has to put on lift. I can't see paying for this and I don't have any air tools. Any suggestions?

Flash5 09-05-18 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by henrymc8 (Post 10297738)
Something simple with 4 bolts only, I still can't get 2 bolts loose. I soaked bolts with PB blaster for 4 days straight and tried to heat them up with proprane torch no luck. One mechanic says $40 to loosen 2 bolts because he has to put on lift. I can't see paying for this and I don't have any air tools. Any suggestions?

Have you tried an extra long breaker bar?