IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Another JoeZ Axleback Review - IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 04:41 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Another JoeZ Axleback Review - IS350

I would like to thank JoeZ for making an incredible axleback, and ModinJapan for bringing the exhaust to my attention through their summer sale and the fast delivery. I placed an order for the exhaust on Saturday, and received it by Tuesday the following week (which would now be last week). Installed it just this Sunday.

Sound:
Not a single video that I watched and listened to over the internet even remotely came close to how the JoeZ axleback sounds in person. When I first started it up after install, I was surprised by how deep it was. There is no high pitched, rattle can, fart sound. Cruising at 80mph is perfectly quiet and with my long cross-country trip ahead, I’m very happy with that.

Cabin sound:
There is some drone from 1k to 3k, but to me, it’s perfectly tolerable and very inoffensive. On the contrary, I actually like it. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the loudest, I’d give it a 3. Obviously what I find quiet or loud, may be different to what others may find quiet or loud.

Do I regret not getting a midpipe?
Since this is serving as my daily, I really find the axleback perfect. I did find myself wanting a midpipe a few times over the past few days, but I really cannot complain. Bottom line: zero regrets.

Does it attract attention?
In one word, yes. Im still forming an opinion on this, but have noticed more BMW and Benz drivers tailgating me. Ive been driving normally, but I’ll admit I’ve been driving in manual to stay in the gears longer to hear the exhaust, so that may be contributing to this. Had a civic and an Infiniti, that wanted to race me, and just a few minutes ago, a truck. I did not engage with anyone. Keep in mind, I’ve only had the exhaust installed for the past 2 days.

Overall, I’m very happy with the exhaust note and the build quality.

Ive tried recording sound of the exhaust, but as with the internet, none of my recordings truly capture the axleback’s true deep sound. Because of this, I think it would be a waste of time to upload a video.

Hope this helps anyone who has been on the fence.

The following 5 users liked this post by RageRacerM:
Bacon (08-22-18), jkonquer (08-21-18), LexSense (08-21-18), ModInJapan (08-22-18), Nicoooo (08-22-18)
Old 08-22-18, 10:15 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

I prefer the OEM look compared to the others on the market. Muffler looks a little greasy cause of all the WD-40 from my gloves.

Each JoeZ piece weighs 17 lbs. Mufflers are brushed stainless steel.

Each stock piece weighs 15 lbs.

Old 08-22-18, 10:31 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Thank you for the kind words
The following users liked this post:
RageRacerM (08-22-18)
Old 08-22-18, 10:49 AM
Nicoooo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking to pick this up lately. If anyone would like to sell me theirs, please DM me!
Old 08-22-18, 02:27 PM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the thorough review! I'm trying to decide on an exhaust and all this info is really helpful.

One question I have is that you said cruising at 80 is super quiet, but then you also mentioned some drone at 1k-3k rpm. Is there drone when you're cruising at 80 that's just very minimal?

Reason I ask is because my girlfriend (and soon to be fiance) hated the drone that the exhaust on my previous car (a Mustang) had, and absolutely loves how quiet my Lexus is.I also like how quiet it is while cruising, but definitely miss hearing the exhaust when I get on the throttle. I'm looking for something with as little drone as you can possibly have with an aftermarket exhaust, while still sounding great when you punch it.
RageRacerM (08-22-18)
Old 08-22-18, 03:19 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bacon
Thanks for the thorough review! I'm trying to decide on an exhaust and all this info is really helpful.

One question I have is that you said cruising at 80 is super quiet, but then you also mentioned some drone at 1k-3k rpm. Is there drone when you're cruising at 80 that's just very minimal?

Reason I ask is because my girlfriend (and soon to be fiance) hated the drone that the exhaust on my previous car (a Mustang) had, and absolutely loves how quiet my Lexus is.I also like how quiet it is while cruising, but definitely miss hearing the exhaust when I get on the throttle. I'm looking for something with as little drone as you can possibly have with an aftermarket exhaust, while still sounding great when you punch it.
I hear ya.

I'll break it down further. The drone is most prominent from 1k-3k under acceleration from a stop. Now lets say you are driving around 20-50 mph and you're just flowing with traffic, braking and accelerating within that range. The drone is obvious. It will resurface and its intensity will vary by how much gas you give. The slower you accelerate, the deeper the drone. The drone is deepest at the low rpm range 1k-2k, especially when in Eco Mode (since its programmed to minimize fuel spending).

However, while cruising at a constant 80mph the drone is minimal (again, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the loudest, I'd give a 1 or 1.5/10) because the car is already in momentum and the engine is receiving a constant flow of fuel. You're not accelerating. I can guarantee that your gf/fiance won't find this annoying at high speed. Its seriously so minimal, I'd describe it as a low and faint hum in the background. Combine this with music in the car, you'll forget its even there unless you actively listen for it or step on the gas.

From what I read, JoeZ seems to be on the louder end of the spectrum for axlebacks. The loudness and deepness, in my experience, tapers off in the upper rpm range (I've read that some people report the opposite, but forget if they have a catback or just axleback). It will sound great when you punch it, at least to me it does.

The only real problem I can see with this axleback is city driving with the frequent accelerating involved. Compared to a mustang, I want to say itll be easily quieter, but obviously I haven't heard your previous system. This part's the real gamble and the most subjective to each person's ears.

***With your gf/fiance in mind, I'd consider the JoeZ to be borderline. And trying to be completely objective here, I think that if they somehow reduced in-city drone, by jus a tick or two, this would be ideal for your situation.

If I can think of anything else I'll comment more. Hope this helps!
Old 08-22-18, 03:40 PM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
I hear ya.

I'll break it down further. The drone is most prominent from 1k-3k under acceleration from a stop. Now lets say you are driving around 20-50 mph and you're just flowing with traffic, braking and accelerating within that range. The drone is obvious. It will resurface and its intensity will vary by how much gas you give. The slower you accelerate, the deeper the drone. The drone is deepest at the low rpm range 1k-2k, especially when in Eco Mode (since its programmed to minimize fuel spending).

However, while cruising at a constant 80mph the drone is minimal (again, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the loudest, I'd give a 1 or 1.5/10) because the car is already in momentum and the engine is receiving a constant flow of fuel. You're not accelerating. I can guarantee that your gf/fiance won't find this annoying at high speed. Its seriously so minimal, I'd describe it as a low and faint hum in the background. Combine this with music in the car, you'll forget its even there unless you actively listen for it or step on the gas.

From what I read, JoeZ seems to be on the louder end of the spectrum for axlebacks. The loudness and deepness, in my experience, tapers off in the upper rpm range (I've read that some people report the opposite, but forget if they have a catback or just axleback). It will sound great when you punch it, at least to me it does.

The only real problem I can see with this axleback is city driving with the frequent accelerating involved. Compared to a mustang, I want to say itll be easily quieter, but obviously I haven't heard your previous system. This part's the real gamble and the most subjective to each person's ears.

***With your gf/fiance in mind, I'd consider the JoeZ to be borderline. And trying to be completely objective here, I think that if they somehow reduced in-city drone, by jus a tick or two, this would be ideal for your situation.

If I can think of anything else I'll comment more. Hope this helps!
You’re awesome, thanks for the detailed info. It’s always hard to chose an exhaust because one person will say one thing and the someone else has a totally different review, but your in depth info definitely helps. I’m leaning towards the Invidia but I love what I’ve heard from the JoeZ as well so we’ll see.
Old 08-22-18, 03:48 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Happy to help! After a few days of having the axleback, I have more positives to say about it than negatives. And to clarify, I consider myself someone sensitive to drone and I am perfectly happy with the JoeZ. Any louder, and I’d consider selling it. Which I’m not.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-18, 06:46 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Here's a clip of my JoeZ

The following 3 users liked this post by rL-gT:
Burrcold (08-23-18), ModInJapan (08-23-18), RageRacerM (08-22-18)
Old 08-22-18, 11:17 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

You can capture the deep tone if you listen with headphones. But I guess ppl need to be aware of that when listening.
Old 08-23-18, 07:15 AM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rL-gT
One of the best sounding IS exhausts that I've heard, very nice.
Old 08-23-18, 12:01 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by rL-gT
Awesome! LOL how did you get Jakub to test drive and film your car??
Old 08-23-18, 03:35 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Awesome! LOL how did you get Jakub to test drive and film your car??
He was filming the car that the exhaust came from. Jakub was a good friend of his.
Old 08-23-18, 04:08 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Probably the reason people tailgate and try to challenge is not really the sound (though that could be it) but more so the shiny/chrominess/flash when driving from behind. I always notice an IS from a mile away when my headlights reflect off the shiny exhaust in back. If it were me, i'd paint the box black w/ hi temp paint.
RageRacerM (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18, 07:46 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Originally Posted by E46CT
Probably the reason people tailgate and try to challenge is not really the sound (though that could be it) but more so the shiny/chrominess/flash when driving from behind. I always notice an IS from a mile away when my headlights reflect off the shiny exhaust in back. If it were me, i'd paint the box black w/ hi temp paint.
Funny you mention that. I was searching the ClubLexus forum and came across an RC thread where the guy did exactly that. I’ll insert the picture. I also agree about the flashiness of the exhaust though.

Quick Reply: Another JoeZ Axleback Review - IS350