IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Turbo lag-IS300 & 200t?

Old 08-22-18, 02:43 PM
Thesickest
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get the tti tune and it’ll fix the lag😁 not completely but you’ll definitely feel it less..
also got a 4 banger turbo because I thought of the possibilities but everyday this “possibilities” are getting smaller and smaller.
Old 08-22-18, 03:37 PM
kimmi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by V350
For all that is holy, an 03 IS300 unmolested, with low (for the years) mileage is a holy grail of tuner cars!
Maybe wait a year or two to see what Lexus does with the upcoming 4th gen.
Yeah and it has been 100% garaged too! Looks like it just left the showroom. She absolutely loves the car, her only complaint is the dash is starting to show some wear. Not the sticky mess some had, but scuffs on the console because the plastic is softening. $3K quote from the dealer to replace dash and center console is nuts! She really wants a GS350 , but I keep telling here telling her should be happier with the IS. Two guys at work want it to do a motor build. I would spend my money on adventure trips than new cars.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...a174977015.jpg

Last edited by kimmi; 08-22-18 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 04:22 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Thesickest
Just get the tti tune and it’ll fix the lag😁 not completely but you’ll definitely feel it less..
also got a 4 banger turbo because I thought of the possibilities but everyday this “possibilities” are getting smaller and smaller.
A tune is not simple. An industry insider has warned me against tunes from all but the best in the business. Modern engines, especially D4S engines, have tolerances and timing down to the nanosecond. It is easy to press buttons on a laptop he says, but hard to replicate all the variables and things you will see in the wild, not on a dyno.
Old 08-23-18, 08:39 AM
MorrisGray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supra? Nascar has announced that the Supra will be used next year in the Xfinity Series, but not in the Cup Series
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/07/...-for-2019.html
Old 08-30-18, 05:55 AM
doog442
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UK owner here. It looks like Lexus are addressing the throttle lag on the 200t engine.

They have announced a new version of the RC in the UK / EUROPE and I see there is mention over on the RC forum that the same is happening here

https://newsroom.lexus.eu/even-sharper-and-more-refined-even-sharper-and-more-refined-lexus-reimagines-its-rc-luxury-sports-coupe?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

They state this " Throttle response from the turbocharged 2.0-litre engine has been improved to deliver a more direct feeling of acceleration and a more spirited driving experience ".

As an IS200t owner Its not a massive issue for me but I'm wondering whether there will be some kind of retrograde software update from Lexus that can be applied to current vehicles.
Old 08-30-18, 06:40 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
The new 3 Series is coming out September-ish. It has a re-engineered chassis, engine, everything. It's going to crush the IS in every metric. Tenfold. Get ready. The new 4-turbo (330) will have 295 torque... stock

(Render) 90% accurate

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...totype-review/

The redesigned IS will be unveiled within the next 18 months and will likely crush that. Besides, I don't trust BMW cars for reliability. It's my least favorite German auto maker.
Old 08-30-18, 06:43 AM
JBison73
Lead Lap

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah the 300 AWD doesn't really feel punchy till around 3500 RPM, but then it doesn't continue to build power like the 350 due to the detuning. Around 4500 is where it seems to top out. But, there's no lag in the response. I think most people would be happy with it especially coming from the 4-cylinder.
I have the IS 300 V6 and i love the way it drives. But yeah I had a Mazda 3 before this, so that has something to do with it. Lol
Old 08-30-18, 09:10 AM
2XLXTN
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
The 4 Cylinder is only 10 lbs lighter.

The low end torque is nice, 100% of it available at 1,650 RPM. But between idle and 1,650 RPM does take a while. You do have to do some thinking/preparing if you want to compete with other cars in traffic.

I would get the V6 if you don't want the car to get in your way.

The V6 does tend to have less incentives and less wiggle room for negotiation. Also dealers tend to have a lot less of them. So you will get quite a huge chunk of money off if you do choose the 4.
This is pretty spot on and was my experience. I bought a 2018 IS350 F-Sport AWD about 3 months ago and there were only 2 in the Nashville area at the time, vs probably 20+ IS 300's.

I cross shopped it against the Audi S4 and the BMW 440i and in spite of the IS 350 being slower, it beat out both of those cars for me by quite a bit. If you want the power on demand and (like E46CT said) the car to stay out of the way, definitely go with the 350, especially if money is no object. The V6 (usually) feels great and pulls great at any speed. Plus you get a few extra suspension features with the 350 if I'm not mistaken. I think it's a more complete experience overall. Only complaint is the 6-speed's hesitation to downshift if you're on the lower end of 3rd gear and you punch it. The most aggressive experience seems to come with the use of the paddle shifters.

I have no experience with the RWD 8-speed so that tranny may be more aggressive. Other than that one quirk, I'm extremely happy with the vehicle. I test drove the turbo 4 and the difference was very noticeable to me.

As far as wiggle room on negotiation, the dealer gave me the existing incentives ($4k factory incentive and then an additional $2k off MSRP) but was very hesitant to come down any further. I've bought from that particular dealer before and they've been extremely generous on price, but were really unwilling to budge much on the IS350. They basically wanted to give me a GS 350 F-sport ($55k car, offered it to me for $480/month) and an IS300, but had no interest on negotiating on the IS350. Just one man's experience. Good luck with your search.
Old 08-30-18, 12:58 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,473 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XLXTN
Only complaint is the 6-speed's hesitation to downshift if you're on the lower end of 3rd gear and you punch it. The most aggressive experience seems to come with the use of the paddle shifters.
No idea on that issue (I have the same transmission in my IS 300 AWD). I haven't had any issues like that - if anything it seems to downshift to 2nd when sometimes it isn't necessary - "I only have like 500 RPM before redline, y u no stay in 3rd?" Just my experience.
Old 08-30-18, 02:52 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by JBison73
The redesigned IS will be unveiled within the next 18 months and will likely crush that. Besides, I don't trust BMW cars for reliability. It's my least favorite German auto maker.
I don't know about crush. BMW put in some serious serious effort into the next 3 Series. Lexus still has never made a truly competent IS. The 3IS is as best as they ever got and it pales in comparison, especially in drivetrains. It's also the porkiest, heaviest, slowest in class.

Old 08-30-18, 05:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Sorry but the F30 is bad. The IS was better by a wide margin in everything but powertrain. For the price of a 328, the Is350 is the much better choice.
Old 09-02-18, 01:27 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XLXTN
The V6 (usually) feels great and pulls great at any speed.
If you're above 3000 RPM. The turbo I6 of the BMW just destroys it (but you pay for it). Even the BMW I4 is at least as good.

The BMW's, of course, suffer a little bit from the turbo-lag thing. But, let's face it, ALL of these cars suffer when mated (as they usually are) to automatics that are tuned for efficiency, so that RPM's are kept as low as possible, unless you floor the damn thing.

I took an E90 BMW M3 for a test drive, once. OMG, what a difference a transmission makes. That (dual clutch) thing downshifted at the slightest provocation. You were always ready for action. Your drivers license was also in severe jeopardy.

I almost should bought that thing (used). I already have a "toy sports car, though. That V8 M3 was the most wicked car I've ever driven (even if not as outright powerful as a 505 HP Z06 Corvette that I once drove. But, hells bells, do you want to taking a freaking race car to work? (For all you who responded "hell yes!", I admire you.)
Old 09-04-18, 04:11 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If the 4IS has dual-clutch and about 200lbs lighter, it will be a winner.. right now, the main gripe for me with my IS200t 8-speed tranny is that it is soo hesitant to downshift, almost feels like it needed half a sec to get that message you wanna drop a gear and another half a sec to actually drop it, even after the accelerator is floored.

But, gotta say, even after 30k miles on the car, other than routine servicing by the dealer, and a voluntary exchange of a leaking absorber (one which i did not even know till they told me after inspection and they replaced for free), the car has been very lovely to drive. No weird noisies, no CEL, no downtime, no battery issue, no leave-at-dealer-to-diagnose-problem, not one day was unable to start, everyday was just push-start and go. This might seem natural to some, but it really isn't with some other marques. The ONLY problem is not enough power...

Last edited by zhifan1; 09-04-18 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-04-18, 06:42 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmi
The wife is making noise about replacing her 2003 IS300 which only has 90K; too soon I know!
Owners of the 200t or new IS300 care to comment about the turbo lag? I have heard that it is pretty bad. After driving that sweet 3L straight six for 15 years she will be pissed if it hesitates when she puts her foot in it! $ not an issue, we can always get the 350.
get IS350 F-sport or you'll regret it, i have the 1st version of 3rd Gen IS350 AWD Fsport, even though we had a little issue with the Navigation but the firmware updates seems to fixed it, AWD on the IS350 is awesome i didn't even need winter tires for snow driving, 6 speeds Auto Trans+Paddle shifts on IS350 with the SPORT+ , OMG those BMW Audi A4 and C350 don't wanna mess with me on Highway/Freeway.

1, Suspension is firmed and good handling when i drive the car like Tokyo Drift, AWD in snow with SNOW MODE on >>>> i always wondering how did Lexus do that ! (i've been driven snow in Canada for 20 years without snow tires)
2, Sport mode feelings is consistent to Street and City driving, Steering wheel not too harsh like a BMW and not too loose like a YARIS even in normal mode you'll feel comfortable
3, Seating is comfort, body and frame are tight, my son 6' feet and he told me this new Lexus is better than the 2nd Gen IS250/350, yep i've owned the old 250 and 350 Lexus too
4, Service and Maintenance, Basically Lexus is the only Luxury car brand that you CAN DO IT YOURSELF, oil change Diff or Trans fluid, light bulb or filter etc, similar to V6 Toyota Camry
5, It is reliable ? oh HELL YA i was gonna do my 100k KM service but i am hesitating because after i got rid of AFTERMARKET brake pads the car drives even SMOOTHER and so BALANCED OUT ! i was CHEAP OUT and bought aftermarket brakes last year and they made so much noise and car pulls felt like Caliper seized , i have learnt something now, Lexus OEM brakes pad and Alignment only FROM LEXUS DEALERSHIP, unless the Alignment shop is a Professional, Cheap alignment shop CAN'T ALIGN THIS LEXUS IS350 AWD well, my Shop cannot do it, don't know why, my Boss just bought a new Hunter Alignment stand but still can't correct....

My IS350 AWD F-sport still driving like the 1st day all Original no major issue, try it out Kimmi, maybe you'll come back and thanks me , Trac Off Manual mode Sport+ 2nd Gear up hill, you'll be surprise with the Lexus Power My wife in the front Seat, she always screaming out and says this car take off is like an Airplane

Last edited by Solara350; 09-04-18 at 06:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
UngBuck (09-04-18)
Old 09-04-18, 03:57 PM
kimmi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Solara350
get IS350 F-sport or you'll regret it, i have the 1st version of 3rd Gen IS350 AWD Fsport, even though we had a little issue with the Navigation but the firmware updates seems to fixed it, AWD on the IS350 is awesome i didn't even need winter tires for snow driving, 6 speeds Auto Trans+Paddle shifts on IS350 with the SPORT+ , OMG those BMW Audi A4 and C350 don't wanna mess with me on Highway/Freeway.
Yeah, this will probably happen. At least I talked her out of the GS350. More HP than she needs, but at least she has attended a (1) day driving school. What is this snow you speak of?