ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   Went up against a Dodge Challenger v6? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/895508-went-up-against-a-dodge-challenger-v6.html)

RageRacerM 07-29-18 10:45 PM

Went up against a Dodge Challenger v6?

I may get flamed for this, but I’ll share it anyway.

*Not that this makes it ok, but this took place on empty streets on the outskirts of town.. Always drive safely!*

For reference, I’m in a stock ‘15 is350 rwd fsport. Dodge Challenger w/ exhaust and wheels at the very least. Maybe v6? No idea the year.

It happened this evening. The Challenger was already at the light by the time I pulled up, and I don’t think he was expecting a 350 to pull up along side (statistically, majority of the cars in the area are 200t's and 250s).

It looked and sounded modified (it was murdered out) but I wasn’t sure if it was a v6 or not. He had a female passenger and that’s all I could tell. He revved his engine, and I looked over and gave a nod. That engine/exhaust is so loud it drowned out the music I was playing in my car, on top of whatever engine noise I had (we know how quiet ours cars are).

It was kind of even in the beginning (maybe up till 25-30mph) but then the is350 was in the sweet spot in the power band and we pulled away very quickly. Pretty sure the Challenger guy was embarrassed cause he made every effort to avoid me. I honestly wanted to tell him I liked the noise his car made, but oh well. Funny enough, we ended up going to the same market plaza.

I only accepted the challenge because I knew the weight difference was fairly significant, power be damned. I had less than a half tank of gas, car was empty, and I was driving alone.

Was in auto Sport+ mode with traction control on. Did not torque brake.

*Awaits potential flaming*

jay90011 07-29-18 11:38 PM

Sounds like a v6 model. I have ran against R/T models and the weight difference is what hurts these challengers. It could also be the gearing but never driven one. On a R/T I have put about 2 cars length up to 100mph with just a rrtune and full catback. The two R/T' s I ran against, The first had a straight pipe the other sounded like some flowmaster mufflers.
all done on empty roads with no other cars or people. Be careful with those scatpacks or SRT's though those models are mid 4's 0-60.

monoglot 07-30-18 02:51 AM

LOL, which county (or city) was this in? Haha, was just happy to hear that you beat a challenger XD
Pretty interesting, so thanks for posting this.
...now i kind of want to race one.

2XLXTN 07-30-18 07:57 AM

I've had two Challengers...a '13 RT and a '13 SRT. Yes. Same year. Don't ask. Long story.

ANYWAY...Our 350's should be able to handle all of the Challenger V6's and RT's with the 5.7 with ease. The 5.7's are slow. They're typical Chrysler - doing less with more.

Like another poster said, watch out for the SRTs and the Scat Packs. Even some RT's that aren't marked as Scat Packs have the 6.4 these days. Even with a crappy driver, they'll walk our 350's with ease. They're very fast. My SRT was a lot of fun. That engine hits and pulls VERY hard. The only chance you have against one of those is if the back wheels slip out. The traction control is garbage on those things. Even the ones with launch control slip like crazy. If you can get some overaggressive clown with the 6.4, you may be able to pull off a miracle. By and large I'd stay way from those though.

But yeah...crush some V6's and RTs all day. It's fun to put those guys in their place.

E46CT 07-30-18 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2XLXTN (Post 10265297)
I've had two Challengers...a '13 RT and a '13 SRT. Yes. Same year. Don't ask. Long story.

ANYWAY...Our 350's should be able to handle all of the Challenger V6's and RT's with the 5.7 with ease. The 5.7's are slow. They're typical Chrysler - doing less with more.

Like another poster said, watch out for the SRTs and the Scat Packs. Even some RT's that aren't marked as Scat Packs have the 6.4 these days. Even with a crappy driver, they'll walk our 350's with ease. They're very fast. My SRT was a lot of fun. That engine hits and pulls VERY hard. The only chance you have against one of those is if the back wheels slip out. The traction control is garbage on those things. Even the ones with launch control slip like crazy. If you can get some overaggressive clown with the 6.4, you may be able to pull off a miracle. By and large I'd stay way from those though.

But yeah...crush some V6's and RTs all day. It's fun to put those guys in their place.

like this 5.7?

Burrcold 07-30-18 09:50 AM

The 5.7 RT's are running 0-60 in close to 5 seconds and the 1/4 mile in low-mid 13's. That is definitely faster than a IS350. The only Challenger that the IS350 would beat is the V6 (and not by a huge amount).

2XLXTN 07-30-18 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Burrcold (Post 10265426)
The 5.7 RT's are running 0-60 in close to 5 seconds and the 1/4 mile in low-mid 13's. That is definitely faster than a IS350. The only Challenger that the IS350 would beat is the V6 (and not by a huge amount).

You're correct. I should have been more specific. The majority of what's on the road are the ones before the refresh and the addition of the 8-speed. My experience is with the older Challengers that had the 5 speed. Those were not fast at all. The gearing with the newer 8 speed made them a tad quicker.

2XLXTN 07-30-18 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10265316)

OP was talking about a drag from a stop. Not a 40 pull or whatever that was. The 5.7 will absolutely walk us on a highway pull. Once they're going the power advantage of those cars definitely takes over.

From a stop it's tough to keep those things from spinning the wheels and launching like **** and most drivers can't launch them right. A 350 can take most of the pre-refresh 5.7 Challengers.

E46CT 07-30-18 01:19 PM

You said they were slow though and that the IS350 would easily take care of them. You'd think that would include scenarios where acceleration is involved. Charger 5.7 standard V8 Runs 13.7/5.1s anyway. That includes from a stop. Modern cars with big V8s don't take off like they did in the old days. They're sophisticated. They also weigh a lot too so the take off isn't as dramatic as you'd like to think.

Either way the 350 is slow by today's standards. No matter how you line them up.

RageRacerM 07-30-18 01:58 PM

The 350 is indeed outdated. I dont think you'll find a person out there who will deny that.

Its important to pick your battles, and I do think I got lucky last evening by having a v6 Challenger as my opponent. I probably would not have even attempted had I seen a SRT badge or anything signifying a more potent engine under the hood. Come to think of it, I feel like a lot of owners either debadge these Challengers, or they just dont come from the factory with any notable badging? No idea.

I do appreciate 2XLXTN's insight into this having owned two challengers. And E46CT I can always count on for stating things as they are.

Either way, it was a good bit of fun.

***Its important to remember that the IS350 is first and foremost an entry level luxury vehicle, and then a sports car second, and I think I'm being somewhat nice by saying that.

For me, its perfect as a daily driver that provides enough fun on the side. Spirited drives around Angeles Crest is more my thing, and I never drive 10/10ths out there.

2XLXTN 07-30-18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10265605)
You said they were slow though and that the IS350 would easily take care of them. You'd think that would include scenarios where acceleration is involved. Charger 5.7 standard V8 Runs 13.7/5.1s anyway. That includes from a stop. Modern cars with big V8s don't take off like they did in the old days. They're sophisticated. They also weigh a lot too so the take off isn't as dramatic as you'd like to think.

Either way the 350 is slow by today's standards. No matter how you line them up.

I had two of them. They're not like the old days, but they're not terribly modern either. The launch felt very old-school. They're Chryslers man...Chrysler excels at doing less with more. Generally the only thing they absolutely nail is retro design. That's about it though.

You also keep referencing the Charger which isn't what the OP ran against.

I also clarified in another post that I was referring to what is still the majority of what's on the road - the pre-refresh Challengers. They were a very different animal before Chrysler switched to the current 8-speed transmission.

2XLXTN 07-30-18 03:05 PM

The Challenger is also a car that is very different out in the wild than on paper. The advertised 0-60 numbers and quarter mile numbers for those things are achieved in near-perfect situations. Most people can't even come close to replicating that performance. They're weird cars. You have to spend time with one to understand what I mean.

And yeah, before anyone jumps all over me saying that all advertised numbers are achieved in perfect scenarios, I fully realize that. The divide between the Google Challenger and the Real World Challenger is just very broad.

E46CT 07-30-18 04:08 PM

This is why i appreciate roll racing way way way WAY more than any drag race. Takes the variable of launch out of the equation and becomes a direct comparison of power, weight, gearing, aero.

IS is better off handling anyway. not a drag car.

2XLXTN 07-30-18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10265757)
This is why i appreciate roll racing way way way WAY more than any drag race. Takes the variable of launch out of the equation and becomes a direct comparison of power, weight, gearing, aero.

IS is better off handling anyway. not a drag car.

Completely agree.

And yeah...the IS is a blast to throw into corners. Challenger - not so much. SRT is actually way better than you'd think though. That car handles much more nimbly than it looks. The RT is about what you'd expect.

HOMER350 07-30-18 08:49 PM

Since were on the topic and I know some of you want to know.
Most of my time is on th freeway and while I dont engage very often (unlike 10 years ago haha) heres what I've beat worth mentioning .... (with clear roads...no traffic, and I do not like driving way over speed limit for long)

freeway
M3 (late 90s, modded loud as hell)
S4 (mid-late 2000s, stockish...big surprise to me and them lol)
Challenger (RT I believe, definitely V6)
BMW 2 door 3xx. I think 335i.

off the line...
Audi A6 3.0t (uphill)