IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Old 07-16-18, 09:09 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by yohan81718
Question about rsr down vs super down. Do the springs come at fixed ride height or do I need to adjust to my need? Noob question since I've never modded my car before and want to start out with lowering spring and spacers for the look.
Springs ccome at a fixed height, coilovers are the ones you can adjust but are much more expensive. Coilovers also replace the entire unit vs springs replacing just the OEM springs.
Old 07-16-18, 09:19 PM
yohan81718
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

Springs ccome at a fixed height, coilovers are the ones you can adjust but are much more expensive. Coilovers also replace the entire unit vs springs replacing just the OEM springs.
Thanks! Yes, I only just want to replace the OEM springs mainly for the looks right now. I like AVS, though it's very subtle difference, and want to keep it that way until I need to replace something down the road.
Old 07-16-18, 09:32 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yohan81718
Thanks! Yes, I only just want to replace the OEM springs mainly for the looks right now. I like AVS, though it's very subtle difference, and want to keep it that way until I need to replace something down the road.
Just keep in mind RSR Super Downs are quite a drop. I would personally recommend RSR Downs and not going lower than that. It’s personal preference of course but just make sure you look at pictures of downs vs super downs and people’s reviews of both.
Old 07-20-18, 11:01 AM
QuickHelp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here comes a really stupid question!

When I drive, I usually just use my right arm to control the vehicle. In the IS 350, I don't know if it's because of my height or where the center arm rest is location, but my elbow is always pushing into the leather. It made a small groove during a road trip a couple weeks back, and I was really scared that it would be permanent or noticeable, but after awhile, it returned back to its natural form. Does anyone else have this issue? Will it actually cause issues if I keep on doing this? I've been paranoid since and basically tucked my elbow off that area and onto my thigh, but it's not nearly as comfortable to drive that way.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-18, 11:05 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the same question!
I am 5'10" 137 lbs. I have sharp elbows :-).
As of this week, I am making a conscious effort not leave an "impression" in the center arm rest!
Old 07-20-18, 03:47 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I find the armrest to be quite resilient to elbow marks. goes away after a few min or next day depending on how strong it was. It's fine. It's a car. Use it like it's meant to be used. Worst case scenario you just buy a new arm rest or have it reupholstered. I try not to worry about stuff like this. My take is just use things that are meant to be used. You pay money for a car to serve your needs. So may as well.
Old 07-20-18, 07:46 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I find the armrest to be quite resilient to elbow marks. goes away after a few min or next day depending on how strong it was. It's fine. It's a car. Use it like it's meant to be used. Worst case scenario you just buy a new arm rest or have it reupholstered. I try not to worry about stuff like this. My take is just use things that are meant to be used. You pay money for a car to serve your needs. So may as well.
I agree. However, it is a bit strange to see the elbow dimple.....but I am not all that concerned.
There was a similar discussion regarding how one sits down to avoid wrinkling the Fsport
seat bolsters.....or jeans staining the Rioja Red. I am not worried about either. We just have an instinct to
respect our beautiful vehicles. But agreed, don’t go overboard with worry.
Old 07-20-18, 07:49 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT

I agree. However, it is a bit strange to see the elbow dimple.....but I am not all that concerned.
There was a similar discussion regarding how one sits down to avoid wrinkling the Fsport
seat bolsters.....or jeans staining the Rioja Red. I am not worried about either. We just have an instinct to
respect our beautiful vehicles. But agreed, don’t go overboard with worry.
Currently fighting the wrinkle issue on my seat. It’s wrinkling on the edge where my hamstrings contact the seat. It’s only been 3 months of owning the car brand new.
Old 07-21-18, 03:44 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

Just keep in mind RSR Super Downs are quite a drop. I would personally recommend RSR Downs and not going lower than that. It’s personal preference of course but just make sure you look at pictures of downs vs super downs and people’s reviews of both.
i am going to echo this because the RSR Down springs are a nice drop and the ride quality is not much different from the stock F Sport ride. even on these, you will eat tires. i have camber arms for the rear on my car. Rear tire wear is ok.

For brakes, my technician who I have been going to for 13 years installed Sumitomo brake pads to replace the brake dust hell of the F Sport stock pads. I really recommend a low dust pad like this. They don't quite have the bit of the stock F Sport brake pads, but then, I am mostly sitting in traffic and not eclipsing 60 mph on the way to and from work. I don't mind not having filthy front wheels.
Old 07-22-18, 01:48 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but when I don't have the engine/ignition on (just the accessories on), there sounds like something is spinning or whirring in the background faintly... not loud or anything, but you can faintly hear something if you're paying attention. The AC is turned down to a single notch and the vented seat is turned off, so I don't think it's those things. When I turn the car off, you can hear the spinning or whirring sound come to a stop after 2-3 seconds.

Anyone know what it might be and is that normal? I have an '18 IS350 AWD with less than 400 miles on it.

Last edited by unioncorps; 07-22-18 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 05:04 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
Maybe it's just me, but when I don't have the engine/ignition on (just the accessories on), there sounds like something is spinning or whirring in the background faintly... not loud or anything, but you can faintly hear something if you're paying attention. The AC is turned down to a single notch and the vented seat is turned off, so I don't think it's those things. When I turn the car off, you can hear the spinning or whirring sound come to a stop after 2-3 seconds.

Anyone know what it might be and is that normal? I have an '18 IS350 AWD with less than 400 miles on it.
If the hvac fan is still spinning, then you are in IGN ON mode, not Accessory. Unless it's different on a 2018.
Old 07-22-18, 06:04 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
If the hvac fan is still spinning, then you are in IGN ON mode, not Accessory. Unless it's different on a 2018.
Thanks Sansnuke... sorry, you're right, just meant that the engine was not running but everything else was on. I'm not sure if the faint spinning/whirring is from the HVAC fan but you can hear something faintly spinning/whirring. I'm asking because I'm not used to the sound; my old Corolla didn't have anything similar sounding like that even with the AC on and engine off - just wanted to make sure that this was normal.
Old 07-22-18, 06:23 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
Thanks Sansnuke... sorry, you're right, just meant that the engine was not running but everything else was on. I'm not sure if the faint spinning/whirring is from the HVAC fan but you can hear something faintly spinning/whirring. I'm asking because I'm not used to the sound; my old Corolla didn't have anything similar sounding like that even with the AC on and engine off - just wanted to make sure that this was normal.
From your original post you said the fan was on a single notch...so likely that is the sound you are heading.
Just turn the fan off and see if the noise stops.
Old 07-23-18, 07:40 AM
hammo842
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a question, specifically about sunroofs. I bought my 2014 CPO a month ago. When I bought it, I noticed some wind noise coming from the sunroof. During a heavy storm, I ran my hand along the perimeter of the sunroof from inside the car and felt some water seeping through the seal. I took it to the dealer and they ultimately ended up replacing the weatherstrip and adjusting the position of the sunroof so that it sits flush. This did resolve the wind noise. Yesterday however we had another strong rain and i ran my hand around the rim and once again felt water seeping through the weatherstrip into the drain tracks.

Is this normal? I have no had water enter the cabin so I don't believe the drains are blocked but I am curious if you all have noticed this before.

Thanks,
Mazen
Old 07-23-18, 07:43 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hammo842
I've got a question, specifically about sunroofs. I bought my 2014 CPO a month ago. When I bought it, I noticed some wind noise coming from the sunroof. During a heavy storm, I ran my hand along the perimeter of the sunroof from inside the car and felt some water seeping through the seal. I took it to the dealer and they ultimately ended up replacing the weatherstrip and adjusting the position of the sunroof so that it sits flush. This did resolve the wind noise. Yesterday however we had another strong rain and i ran my hand around the rim and once again felt water seeping through the weatherstrip into the drain tracks.

Is this normal? I have no had water enter the cabin so I don't believe the drains are blocked but I am curious if you all have noticed this before.

Thanks,
Mazen
That is NOT normal and you should definitely take it back to get it fixed properly. I had this happen on my G37S and it was a clogged sunroof drain tube, but it could be other things in your case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!