HD Radio - GPS traffic in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-18, 08:17 AM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD Radio - GPS traffic in Canada

Hi,

I own a 2017 Lexus IS 300 F-Sport2 with Navigation and live in Canada. Currently traffic is not available within the GPS and I am just wondering why Lexus Canada cannot provide a software update to enable this. There are several HD radio stations where I live that likely carry this traffic data in their signal.

i know the American model has traffic enabled via the HD radio signals and does not require an Entune subscription.

Do the Canadian models have a hardware limitation or is it simply a software restriction that they could very easily remove with an update. I don’t even use the Built in GPS largely due to the lack of traffic information. If they were to enable this feature it would certainly make it more useful.

If they insist on sticking with their crappy Infotainment system then it would be nice if they provided regular updates to add features and keep it current in today’s market. Ideally update the united to Entune 3.0 at least.

Old 06-30-18, 08:47 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Since the 2017's have no cellular service built into the vehicle, that automatically rules out a bunch of features that we can't get.
In regards to the Traffic data, I don't think there is an infrastructure to support broadcasting it to the vehicles. There are some stations that carry the HD Traffic data signal, but the vehicles aren't equipped to process and combine it with the map.
I haven't bought a new handheld navi (TomTom, Garmin, etc.) in awhile, but I don't think they can even give you traffic data.

Right now i think the only thing that does is Google Maps. If you use a Beatsonic mirroring system, you can mirror your phone to the navi screen and use Google Maps with the traffic data.
Now that the 2018's have Entune, we might see these features come sooner than later.
Old 07-12-18, 03:37 PM
mvhora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Since the 2017's have no cellular service built into the vehicle, that automatically rules out a bunch of features that we can't get.
In regards to the Traffic data, I don't think there is an infrastructure to support broadcasting it to the vehicles. There are some stations that carry the HD Traffic data signal, but the vehicles aren't equipped to process and combine it with the map.
I haven't bought a new handheld navi (TomTom, Garmin, etc.) in awhile, but I don't think they can even give you traffic data.

Right now i think the only thing that does is Google Maps. If you use a Beatsonic mirroring system, you can mirror your phone to the navi screen and use Google Maps with the traffic data.
Now that the 2018's have Entune, we might see these features come sooner than later.
Not to belabour this, and apologies in advance if I offend anyone, but my previous vehicle was a 2012 Audi, with no cellular service and it had TMC, which is live traffic updates via HD radio. It worked well.

I contacted Lexus Canada about this, as my RC 350 has HD radio, and gets HD radio stations (and I told them which ones specifically in Toronto). The CR actually put me in touch with one of their engineers (so they claimed). They said that they were working on an update towards the end of this year (2018) that would enable traffic updates via HD radio (no cellular service required). Here's hoping that they do.
Old 07-12-18, 04:00 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mvhora
Not to belabour this, and apologies in advance if I offend anyone, but my previous vehicle was a 2012 Audi, with no cellular service and it had TMC, which is live traffic updates via HD radio. It worked well.

I contacted Lexus Canada about this, as my RC 350 has HD radio, and gets HD radio stations (and I told them which ones specifically in Toronto). The CR actually put me in touch with one of their engineers (so they claimed). They said that they were working on an update towards the end of this year (2018) that would enable traffic updates via HD radio (no cellular service required). Here's hoping that they do.

I hope you are right...the navigation is useless to me now unless they support traffic.
Old 07-12-18, 06:20 PM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is encouraging and makes a lot more sense to me. HD Radio carries the signal already and the US version uses it for traffic so it’s only a matter of enabling it for Canadian versions. I wouldn’t think the software update would be that hard to develop as they already have the code for it. While they are at it give us Entune 3 as well. Lol
Old 07-12-18, 06:50 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sasnuke

No offense taken...but I never said you needed cellular service to get traffic data. If what I wrote (in bold) was not crystal clear, it wasn't meant to include Traffic.

Having said that, did they specify which years/models they would be updating? I'm not sure what year RC you have.
Old 07-14-18, 10:21 AM
mvhora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 RC 350. I mentioned which model I have, and they did tell me that it should be included in the update.
Old 07-14-18, 01:55 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 2015 RC 350. I mentioned which model I have, and they did tell me that it should be included in the update.
Cool...might be hope for my 2014 then.