IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Converting 7” to 10” Display + Radio/Center Console Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 05:50 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

my friend and i are beginning to convert her entire 2014 luxury IS to a 2017 f sport, we’re thinking of finding a salvaged 2017 IS and sourcing all of the parts from there besides the front bumper
Old 08-13-18, 06:42 PM
PghMatty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been as riveted as I have been in quite some time on a modification. I was linked from my thread asking the same questions on application and possibility. The referenced connector from JAE looks like a plastic surround shielding a firewire connection. Could this be the case?

Just a hot suggestion to maybe help the search. I come from a tech background, for the most part, and I cannot imagine they would source a data transfer cable that isn't commonly in use. Just create a proprietary connector. It's not like Lexus is Apple or anything
Old 08-13-18, 09:13 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Does anyone know if the remote touch controller from the 2017/18 be installed on the 2016 or older models? I like having the physical "back" button instead of trying to maneuver the controller on back selector each time.
Old 08-13-18, 09:36 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsr3is
Does anyone know if the remote touch controller from the 2017/18 be installed on the 2016 or older models? I like having the physical "back" button instead of trying to maneuver the controller on back selector each time.
Yes can be installed. It is very close to plug and play.
BUT the Back Button will just sit there looking pretty and not work, so you would be back to square one.
I will make a video of the swap soon.

Last edited by specONE; 08-13-18 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 04:57 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Yes can be installed. It is very close to plug and play.
BUT the Back Button will just sit there looking pretty and not work, so you would be back to square one.
I will make a video of the swap soon.
Aah! ok. So I would need to upgrade the radio unit as well in order to get the back button working. Thanks.
Looking forward for your swap video for sure.
Old 08-29-18, 03:09 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

So another member brought this to my attention for those who do not want to try to completely swap everything. It's actually what I will probably do. They sell this touchscreen 10.25" fully compatible with the OEM system an Apple Carplay can be installed on on it for a total of $1050 ($950 without Apple Carplay) shipped according to the guy from 4x4 Shop that I spoke to and that's in US dollars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZgq...ature=youtu.be
The following users liked this post:
LexSense (08-29-18)
Old 08-29-18, 06:21 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
So another member brought this to my attention for those who do not want to try to completely swap everything. It's actually what I will probably do. They sell this touchscreen 10.25" fully compatible with the OEM system an Apple Carplay can be installed on on it for a total of $1050 ($950 without Apple Carplay) shipped according to the guy from 4x4 Shop that I spoke to and that's in US dollars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZgq...ature=youtu.be
I watched the video but it only shows Android auto I didn’t see Apple CarPlay. The unit is run by Android OS so not sure how it can run Apple eco system. It also doesn’t seem to work on cars with nav system that has joystig control works only for touchpad or non-nav vehicles, backup camera view is distorted due to resolution mismatch. Uggg still no easy solution to get a bigger screen or Apple CarPlay that actually works with Lexus system.
Old 08-29-18, 06:23 PM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

That is bad *** i wish i coukd find a cheaper option i had a 9 inch unit just like that in my VW GTI and only cost like $350
Old 08-29-18, 06:23 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dojoman

I watched the video but it only shows Android auto I didn’t see Apple CarPlay. The unit is run by Android OS so not sure how it can run Apple eco system. It also doesn’t seem to work on cars with nav system that has joystig control works only for touchpad or non-nav vehicles, backup camera view is distorted due to resolution mismatch. Uggg still no easy solution to get a bigger screen or Apple CarPlay that actually works with Lexus system.
I guess you didn’t read the part about them being able to add Apple CarPlay haha. They have another video on their YouTube channel showing a unit running Apple CarPlay. Call them yourself and ask questions.
Old 08-29-18, 06:32 PM
truu
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I was interested in the product but in the video he mentioned it doesn't work when the vehicle has OEM Nav (with joystick controller).
Old 08-29-18, 06:33 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by truu
I was interested in the product but in the video he mentioned it doesn't work when the vehicle has OEM Nav (with joystick controller).
Yeah it doesn’t unfortunately ): lol
Old 08-29-18, 06:54 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I guess you didn’t read the part about them being able to add Apple CarPlay haha. They have another video on their YouTube channel showing a unit running Apple CarPlay. Call them yourself and ask questions.
Do you have a link to that video? I only saw Audi with Apple CarPlay working that looks pretty neat though.
Old 08-29-18, 07:12 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dojoman

Do you have a link to that video? I only saw Audi with Apple CarPlay working that looks pretty neat though.
They don’t have an actual video of one with Apple CarPlay on our cars, but when I spoke to them over the phone they told me for $100 they can add Apple CarPlay to the unit which makes sense since a lot of aftermarket stereos can run both android auto and Apple CarPlay.
Old 08-29-18, 07:45 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Looks like this is for Non-navigation type cars . Wont work for Navigation models
Old 08-29-18, 07:47 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by specONE
Looks like this is for Non-navigation type cars . Wont work for Navigation models
Yeah I was just throwing it out there for anyone who has non nav as an alternative option to this whole upgrade and stuff.
The following users liked this post:
nan88 (08-30-18)

Quick Reply: Converting 7” to 10” Display + Radio/Center Console Upgrade