ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   Did you buy or lease your IS? Simple poll. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/888954-did-you-buy-or-lease-your-is-simple-poll.html)

E46CT 05-15-18 01:21 PM

Did you buy or lease your IS? Simple poll.

Just curious!

yohan81718 05-15-18 02:42 PM

I'm curious the reason also. I can't find myself leasing a car just because I don't really own it and I typically keep my car close to 10 years which financially makes sense to buy.

EZZ 05-15-18 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by yohan81718 (Post 10199881)
I'm curious the reason also. I can't find myself leasing a car just because I don't really own it and I typically keep my car close to 10 years which financially makes sense to buy.

I wouldn't mind leasing but I tend to drive 15k+ miles per year so i like to keep my cars until 100k then upgrade. We did 100k+ in 4 years in our minivan! Roadtrip family :D

E46CT 05-15-18 03:09 PM

Agreed everyone has their own reasons. I haven't decided what I like yet but so far I'm enjoying leasing cause there's always new/better features and designs. Plus I hate nothing more than driving a sloppy car and getting a new car every 3 years ensures it stays fresh. I think though with newer cars, they're all starting to level out/max out tech wise and we'll soon have less and less reason to upgrade. Same thing with iPhones or phones in general. They're all top tech now. Less and less reason to upgrade.

For example, I'd upgrade my current IS for the new one for the new Lexus Safety System Plus thing (or whatever it's called) but after that, all cars will pretty much have that.

BippuLexus 05-15-18 03:31 PM

For Lexus, I like to buy because Lexus tends to be a good investment. They hold resale value nicely so you can always sell to trade up. Reliability is also excellent too.

The only brands I would lease are probably Infiniti and German brands. For Infiniti, they have good lease deals. And for Germans, I would lease to avoid the horrible reliability as they get older.

E46CT 05-15-18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by BippuLexus (Post 10199909)
For Lexus, I like to buy because Lexus tends to be a good investment. They hold resale value nicely so you can always sell to trade up. Reliability is also excellent too.

The only brands I would lease are probably Infiniti and German brands. For Infiniti, they have good lease deals. And for Germans, I would lease to avoid the horrible reliability as they get older.

Dunno. I was driving someone's 2010 Mercedes C Class with 90,000 miles on it. Felt and drove new. And all she's done was replace the windshield and change the oil.

With Lexus now moving to twin turbo and more intricate suspensions, I think the maintenance is going to more or less equalize with the german makes or at least come closer.

FWIW, I had an 89 3 Series with 247,000 miles. One of the most reliable car i've ever owned. Rock solid. I've also had a handful of other mid to high six figure german cars. same story. not a single breakdown. Go figure!

pret 05-15-18 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10199917)
Dunno. I was driving someone's 2010 Mercedes C Class with 90,000 miles on it. Felt and drove new. And all she's done was replace the windshield and change the oil.

With Lexus now moving to twin turbo and more intricate suspensions, I think the maintenance is going to more or less equalize with the german makes or at least come closer.

FWIW, I had an 89 3 Series with 247,000 miles. One of the most reliable car i've ever owned. Rock solid. I've also had a handful of other mid to high six figure german cars. same story. not a single breakdown. Go figure!

thats not true when mercedes requires brake pads and rotors to be changed every 25k miles. the mercedes brake pad is purposely smaller and digs grooves into the rotor.

BippuLexus 05-15-18 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10199917)

I mean, there will be German cars that will end up having tons of miles without a problem. But, I believe, majority of the time, Germans will always be unreliable. At the end of the day, its the percentages of issues that what gives a car brand a reputation of being unreliable. This is also excluding the price tag of repairs, which are usually higher in German cars.
A good example is: my friend's barely 5 year old X5 already has mechanical issues. This excludes the fact that his driver side power windows also broke within a year of ownership.

True. Lexus repairs will definitely get more expensive in total price for overall maintenance because of stuff like Twin Turbo engines. However, overall maintenance price tag will stay lower than of Germans because lots of parts on a Lexus can be found on a Toyota. Toyota and Lexus shares a lot of common parts which brings down the overall repair cost. Also - mechanically speaking - a Toyota mechanic can work on a Lexus because its pretty much the same.

KYLexusMkr 05-15-18 04:47 PM

I believe with any manufacturer some will get good ones, other not so good. I like my Toyota products, but I haven’t had the best of luck with them. Luckily I am blessed to be able and do a lot of the maintenance myself, otherwise it would be costly. I currently am battling the dealer over my steering wheel, been going on a year now, and have corporate involved at this point. Fortunately, as an employee of Lexus, I have other resources at my disposal, but just the same, I’ve got issues with my new vehicle. So, I’m just saying, it can happen with any brand at anytime. Mine must’ve been built on a Friday before the plant shutdown. 😂

2XLXTN 05-15-18 05:50 PM

I leased my car with the intention to buy it out at the end of the lease. If you know your way around the leasing formula, you can usually come out on top vs a purchase.

Also, Lexus had $4k in lease incentives this month that went along with the discount I negotiated with the dealer. Sometimes the numbers for leases just make more sense.

With either scenario, you're still negotiating the purchase price of the vehicle. They're really not too different at the end of the day if you know your way around the process. Difference comes down to how you're choosing to finance it.

BippuLexus 05-15-18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2XLXTN (Post 10200018)
I leased my car with the intention to buy it out at the end of the lease. If you know your way around the leasing formula, you can usually come out on top vs a purchase.

Also, Lexus had $4k in lease incentives this month that went along with the discount I negotiated with the dealer. Sometimes the numbers for leases just make more sense.

With either scenario, you're still negotiating the purchase price of the vehicle. They're really not too different at the end of the day if you know your way around the process. Difference comes down to how you're choosing to finance it.

+1 This is a very good point.

At the end of the day, do the calculations and shop around to see what will benefit you - in terms of money.

Solara350 05-15-18 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BippuLexus (Post 10199960)
I mean, there will be German cars that will end up having tons of miles without a problem. But, I believe, majority of the time, Germans will always be unreliable. At the end of the day, its the percentages of issues that what gives a car brand a reputation of being unreliable. This is also excluding the price tag of repairs, which are usually higher in German cars.
A good example is: my friend's barely 5 year old X5 already has mechanical issues. This excludes the fact that his driver side power windows also broke within a year of ownership.

True. Lexus repairs will definitely get more expensive in total price for overall maintenance because of stuff like Twin Turbo engines. However, overall maintenance price tag will stay lower than of Germans because lots of parts on a Lexus can be found on a Toyota. Toyota and Lexus shares a lot of common parts which brings down the overall repair cost. Also - mechanically speaking - a Toyota mechanic can work on a Lexus because its pretty much the same.

Every cars break down in time my friend, some are lucky some not, you just can't say Germans are unreliable, most of my friend at the Shop owns Mercedes ML350 450 C300 CLS , they lasts bro, they told me if i buy BMW or American cars, buy V8 / M2 3 4 etc.

BippuLexus 05-15-18 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Solara350 (Post 10200086)
Every cars break down in time my friend, some are lucky some not, you just can't say Germans are unreliable, most of my friend at the Shop owns Mercedes ML350 450 C300 CLS , they lasts bro, they told me if i buy BMW or American cars, buy V8 / M2 3 4 etc.

True. Every car breaks down in time. That's the nature of the product. However - to determine if a car is reliable or not reliable is based on statistics of how often that specific car brand have issues. Based on records and statistics, German brands tends to be less reliable than Japanese brands - with Toyota/Lexus topping the charts for reliability. So yes - I can say Germans are unreliable because on average they are.

But that doesn't mean German cars are the worst in reliability. I would say German cars are more reliable than say a Land Rover.

I also want to address the fact that "lasting" and "reliability" are two different contexts. Any car can "last" - if you throw money at it. I can make a 1950 car last with a bunch of repairs. The question is the reliability - how often does a car need repairs versus not needing repairs.

Sasnuke 05-16-18 05:46 AM

Everyone likes pics and graphs. (Link: http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study)
You will note Audi scored only just above the Industry Average...and BMW tied with Toyota (and don't take BMW above Toyota to mean anything, it's in alphabetical order for ties)
I'm sure there are many other lists that may show some positions jockeyed due to what the specific study focuses on.
This is after 3 years of ownership of the vehicle.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...a23b43c788.jpg

Sasnuke 05-16-18 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by BippuLexus (Post 10200175)
But that doesn't mean German cars are the worst in reliability. I would say German cars are more reliable than say a Land Rover..

Your Land Rover reference, according to the chart above, is spot on LOL!!