IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 vs IS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-18, 09:52 AM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBimm
Thanks, I appreciate that and it answers all my questions. It's settled: AWD or RWD isn't really important, so which ever pops up with the better deal is what I'll go for. I just wish I could hear the base audio vs the ML audio, because finding one with ML audio is proving very elusive.
Yes, finding one with a ML package is very exclusive. If not buying new and adding that package at the time, it will be very difficult buying one that is preowned. People tend to add that package if they are going to hold on to the car a while. Back when i bought my 350, it took me about 7 months to find one with ML especially With AWD.
Old 05-08-18, 10:25 AM
NoMoreBimm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, well that's good info and what I was feeling after watching the market for a while. There's a red one for sale on CarMax that has the ML system in it, but after having a red Corvette I'd say I'm done with red cars. I'll add the ML to the "nice to have" list and hope for the best. Thanks again!

This has to be the most helpful car forum I've been on!
Old 05-08-18, 02:49 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

I just noticed the AWD version gets a 6 speed while the RWD gets an 8 speed, I can't fathom that they perform very different, but is there any difference in the shifting speed or responsiveness of the transmission?
If the 8 speed is ancient (and it is) the 6 speed is an absolute dinosaur. The 6 speed in my friend's 2G IS350 (not sure if it's the same) feels like a POS compared to the 8 speed in my 200t. it's slower, dumber, clunkier feeling.

The future will come, I think Lexus will install a 10 speed auto in the next group of cars, including the next IS.
Old 05-08-18, 02:56 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Ah ok, got ya. I had contemplated the AWD version because we can get some snow here in Ohio, but from what I've read about the RWD IS350 it's not that bad in the snow, worst case get some snow tires. Also, I drove a C5 Corvette through the winter last year, so I feel just about anything out there will fare better. Thanks again, I'll aim for a RWD, but be content if the right AWD shows up instead.
If it's a car you plan to own for a while, aim higher than being content. you only do it once (reasonably) and don't want any regret. Get the RWD simply for the 8 speed. It's nearly entirely identical, mainly except for programming) to the 8 speed in the IS-F/RC-F. Also shared with LS. So it's a world class transmission that's made to handle a ton of torque, therefore will be more durable long term. that in addition to just being a better overall transmission.

The times you'd actually need AWD may be less than 1% of your driving anyway, if at all. Turning and braking won't be benefitted at all by AWD.
Old 05-08-18, 03:06 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
The 6 speed in my friend's 2G IS350 (not sure if it's the same) feels like a POS compared to the 8 speed in my 200t. it's slower, dumber, clunkier feeling.
The 6 spd in my 3G IS feels MUCH better and quicker than my 2G IS 6 spd.
Old 05-08-18, 03:08 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burrcold
The 6 spd in my 3G IS feels MUCH better and quicker than my 2G IS 6 spd.
that's good to know. is it the same unit?
Old 05-08-18, 03:15 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

that's good to know. is it the same unit?
I believe they are both AISIN transmissions, but the gearing and overall feel (smoother, and better reacting) is far better in the 2018 350 AWD I have now.
Old 05-08-18, 03:23 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burrcold
I believe they are both AISIN transmissions, but the gearing and overall feel (smoother, and better reacting) is far better in the 2018 350 AWD I have now.
I looked up the codes, the Aisin A760E is the 2G IS350 transmisison and the Aisin A760H is the 3G AWD transmission. The ratios (with the exception of reverse) are identical. So the gearing is the same.

So for whatever that is worth. I'm not sure of other difference but that was just my experience with my friend's 2G IS350 vs my car. did not like his trans at all. not responsive. Not that the 8 speed is super responsive, but feels somewhat modern. though honestly the 8 speed is getting long in the tooth, too.
Old 05-08-18, 04:14 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I had the IS250 for 3 days and thought the 6 speed was lazier than the 8 speed. There was more delay in manual mode and the 8 speed had snappier shifts. It could be that the 6 speed feels different in the IS350 than the 250 but I thought they were the same unit. The 8 speed also rev matches in sport mode in manual mode. Does the 6 speed also rev match?
Old 05-08-18, 05:01 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

I looked up the codes, the Aisin A760E is the 2G IS350 transmisison and the Aisin A760H is the 3G AWD transmission. The ratios (with the exception of reverse) are identical. So the gearing is the same.

So for whatever that is worth. I'm not sure of other difference but that was just my experience with my friend's 2G IS350 vs my car. did not like his trans at all. not responsive. Not that the 8 speed is super responsive, but feels somewhat modern. though honestly the 8 speed is getting long in the tooth, too.
All I can say, since I've owned both, is that they feel substantially different. Whatever changes the AISIN "H" vs "E" makes I'm not sure, but it is noticeable (to the point that I would not have bought a 3G if it was exactly the same).
Old 05-08-18, 07:03 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Don't forget that tuning plays a major role in overall behavior and functionality. As the years go on, improvements through software tuning alone get exponentially better. As an example, our 2015 and 2018 GS F-Sports both use the same 8 speed but the '18 is immensely more responsive, smoother & more befitting of a luxury car than the '15 is.
Old 05-08-18, 07:39 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
In Sport+, the steering gets pretty heavy. Also, the F-Sport suspension has AVS so it does feel noticeably sportier overall.

Driving enthusiasts notice but others may not. I would test drive both and see if it matters to you.

Edit: AVS can be felt in all modes. Sport+ mode makes the dampers stiffer for really aggressive driving.
I thought AVS only active in Sport+ mode ?
Old 05-08-18, 09:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
I thought AVS only active in Sport+ mode ?
The AVS is always adjusting the dampers to give the best ride. sport+ makes the dampers more aggressive and stiffer.
Old 05-08-18, 10:02 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

If the 8 speed is ancient (and it is) the 6 speed is an absolute dinosaur. The 6 speed in my friend's 2G IS350 (not sure if it's the same) feels like a POS compared to the 8 speed in my 200t. it's slower, dumber, clunkier feeling.

The future will come, I think Lexus will install a 10 speed auto in the next group of cars, including the next IS.
This is my guess as well, Toyota describes the Direct Shift 10 speed as an FR transmission for luxury applications.
Old 05-09-18, 06:16 PM
NoMoreBimm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After this more in depth discussion it sounds like the obvious winner is the RWD. I'd rather have a faster shifting transmission, it's one of the things I enjoyed the most when I test drove a 2015 F Sport. The winters in SW Ohio aren't too bad and I can pick up a set of snow tires easily enough.

Quick Reply: IS350 vs IS350 F Sport