Transmission Oil ? Dealer or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 09:38 PM
fxturbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Oil ? Dealer or not

Hello,
I heard transmission fluid change require some dealer tool is this true ? Can it be done by an independent mechanic ?
Old 04-30-18, 11:20 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

You will receive mixed responses regarding this topic. Some dealers may have the necessary equipment, others may not. Certainly, this can be done by an independent mechanic, but only if they have the needed training and said equipment. Only real way to find out is to ask the dealers in question. Same goes for the independent mechanics.

Also, people will say you don’t need to do a transmission oil change on our vehicles, whereas others will say you should. You’ll have to pick which camp you belong to, but I for one don’t believe anything lasts forever.
Old 05-01-18, 08:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts

The Lexus 6 speed autos have a drain plug on the pan and fill plug on the side. Seems the 8 speeds would too. If then, anyone can do it. How else would factory workers get fluid inside them.

However if done at the coolers, i imagine they'd need a simple tool to disconnect the lines which usually (at least with BMW cars) depress some plastic tabs before the line releases. In other words, any indy mechanic should be able to.

Unless there's something i'm totally unfamiliar with as far as this particular car goes.

But I would still recommend getting the fluid changed if you plan on keeping any car. There's a reason why the factory (whether it's toyota or their supplier) doesn't fill transmissions with used oil =p

Sorry I can't be of particular help on our 8 speeds (assuming youve got one), it's sort of a new car and i haven't seen much on it. Maybe someone has access to factory manual.
Old 05-01-18, 12:50 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

My understanding is that most of Lexus’ new cars have “sealed” transmissions in other words in order to change the fluid most people recommend the dealership because they do the flush and fill 3x to try to get most of the old fluid out. I’ve heard some people say that dislodges deposits and gets it in the gears and causes transmission issues and some say it’s fine. Honestly I think I’d prefer to get someone to actually open the transmission and get it drained and cleaned then filled with new fluid but that would be MUCH more pricey. I’m new to Lexus but on my Infiniti (also has a sealed transmission) did the 3x flush and fill at the dealership and my transmission on that car is a little off now, nothing major but yeah idk.
Old 05-01-18, 02:41 PM
fxturbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
My understanding is that most of Lexus’ new cars have “sealed” transmissions in other words in order to change the fluid most people recommend the dealership because they do the flush and fill 3x to try to get most of the old fluid out. I’ve heard some people say that dislodges deposits and gets it in the gears and causes transmission issues and some say it’s fine. Honestly I think I’d prefer to get someone to actually open the transmission and get it drained and cleaned then filled with new fluid but that would be MUCH more pricey. I’m new to Lexus but on my Infiniti (also has a sealed transmission) did the 3x flush and fill at the dealership and my transmission on that car is a little off now, nothing major but yeah idk.

i heard flushiing is bad for the engine. should this be drain and fill ?
Old 05-01-18, 02:48 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by fxturbo
i heard flushiing is bad for the engine. should this be drain and fill ?
You mean bad for the transmission? Yeah that’s what I was getting at, that when they flush and fill it 3x they are moving all the crap around. That’s why I think it would be better to get it actually drained then filled, but to do that with a sealed transmission it is supposedly not doable unless you actually open the transmission up.
Old 05-01-18, 04:25 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Just some overall comments on what has been posted.
Flushing the transmission isn't a bad thing, if done on a regular basis. If you flush the fluid every couple years consistently, then there should be no issue. If you wait 10 years and then flush it, likely something will go wrong after.
The tools the dealers need to perform the transmission drain/fill service are provided to them by Toyota/Lexus. I can't speak for the US dealers, but the Canadian dealers are given ALL Special Service Tools required in the repair manuals, whether they want it or not. So them saying they don't have the tools to complete a job is not an option. They might have broken or lost the tool, but that's a different story.
Flushing is typically done with a 3rd party machine sold by a local vendor, so that would be up to the individual dealers to acquire.
The transmission will have 3 plugs...Drain Plug...Fill Plug...and Overflow Plug. The first two are self-explanatory, and the last is used to set the fluid level with the transmission at a specific temperature range.
Monitoring the temp is possible manually, but so easily done with the Techstream tool.
Lastly, depending where you live on the planet, the Owners Manual will always say the fluid doesn't need to be change because the transmission is sealed. However, if you live in a region where there are severe temperature swings (-30C to +30C), then you will receive a Supplemental Manual that indicates time/mileage milestones to change certain fluids (coolant, trans, diff., etc.).
So there is no wrong or right answer when it comes to changing the fluid, just depends on where you are operating the vehicle.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
RageRacerM (05-01-18), redspencer (06-27-18)
Old 06-26-18, 09:58 AM
HappyDisti
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Love my Lexus RC F

Last edited by HappyDisti; 05-02-20 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-26-18, 10:14 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,564 Posts

All "flushing" does is give the transmission new fluid as the old fluid is being evacuated so you have 100% fluid replacement. There's nothing "bad" about it. In fact, it is preferred. Imagine being able to push a magic button and all old fluid is replaced with new fluid. That's all "flushing" is except it's more involved.

I always tell people replace all fluids, at all times, in all cars, always. No exceptions. New stuff is good. Old stuff is bad.
Old 06-27-18, 12:10 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HappyDisti
2015 RC F with 24,000km (15,000 miles) DD. I am not hear to argue about the science or Lexus "sealed" transmissions. This weekend I was bored and dropped my rear diff fluid, and refilled with almost 2L (1900ml) Full Synthetic 75/90. Took like 10 minutes. They longest time was to lift it in the air to be able to get under it and have the car level. I did this with lifting each corner with my floor jack and then putting a Rino Ramp under each wheel.

Since I had my car in the air level, I decided for fun to drop the transmission fluid out of the pan. The refill plug is on the driver's side 24mm bolt. I went to Lexus and bought 3 one liter jugs of Toyota WS ATF fluid, as I rather pay a little more and not risk warranty as I have an extended warranty until 2023.

I should mention, due to the location of the rear diff and transmission fill hole, you definitely need a hand operated pump to get the fluids back in.

The magnetic plug in the rear diff had a decent build up of metal filings and was fairly dirty. The trans was not bad, slightly dark and maybe didn't need it but that's OK. I will do it again in a week or 2 with another 3 Liters, now that I know how easy it is to do..
How did you set the fluid level?
Not being familiar with the tranny in the RC F, I assume it is also sealed and does not have a dipstick, so to set it you would need a Techstream or use the manual procedure with the dash indicator.
A straight exchange of fluid amounts is not accurate...at least not after the dipstick became obsolete.
I wish they had dipsticks still...good grief!
Old 06-27-18, 12:27 PM
HappyDisti
Driver School Candidate

Love my Lexus RC F

Last edited by HappyDisti; 05-02-20 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-27-18, 12:33 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Vehicle and fluid at room temperature in my garage. Drop oil into clean oil pan, then measure this, and replace exactly the same amount. You can find DYI where they use the "check level" plug, but that involves temperature measuring, and a bit more work. I just dropped 3L and put 3 L back in...
Good luck! I hope everything works out for you ok with the tranny.
Old 06-27-18, 07:42 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

2015 RC F with 24,000km (15,000 miles) DD. I am not hear to argue about the science or Lexus "sealed" transmissions. This weekend I was bored and dropped my rear diff fluid, and refilled with almost 2L (1900ml) Full Synthetic 75/90. Took like 10 minutes. They longest time was to lift it in the air to be able to get under it and have the car level. I did this with lifting each corner with my floor jack and then putting a Rino Ramp under each wheel.

Since I had my car in the air level, I decided for fun to drop the transmission fluid out of the pan. The refill plug is on the driver's side 24mm bolt. I went to Lexus and bought 3 one liter jugs of Toyota WS ATF fluid, as I rather pay a little more and not risk warranty as I have an extended warranty until 2023.

I should mention, due to the location of the rear diff and transmission fill hole, you definitely need a hand operated pump to get the fluids back in.

The magnetic plug in the rear diff had a decent build up of metal filings and was fairly dirty. The trans was not bad, slightly dark and maybe didn't need it but that's OK. I will do it again in a week or 2 with another 3 Liters, now that I know how easy it is to do..
Interesting. Did you have to use a fluid pump apparatus to pump the auto tranny fluid back through that hole with the 24mm plug too?

I may try this myself....my dealer service dept are scammers....charged me like $18 for some ATF "fluid conditioner" and didn't even tell me or explain it when cashing me out.
Old 06-28-18, 12:15 AM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The dealer uses a machine that puts back in the same amount of fluid removed. With world standard atf just a half quart off might effect trans shifting quality.
Old 06-28-18, 08:01 AM
HappyDisti
Driver School Candidate

Awesome Lexus RC F

Last edited by HappyDisti; 05-02-20 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Oil ? Dealer or not