IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

USRS plus new tires installed. Much improved ride!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-18, 02:00 PM
tabjohitol
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default USRS plus new tires installed. Much improved ride!

A couple of weeks ago my buddy helped me install the RR-Racing USRS on my IS350 F-sport. My intent was to remedy the uneven tire wear on the inner front tires and from numerous older posts, it seemed the USRS was the right solution. Install was super easy (thanks to my buddy's lift) but we did notice some increased road noise after the install, but definitely better road feel overall.

Unfortunately, during the test drive I inadvertently ran over a pot hole and did some damage to my front passenger side tire sidewall. Since the tires probably didn't have much more miles left in them I ended up replacing all four tires with a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+. So USRS, new tires and alignment, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with the results so far. The road noise is gone, the car handles noticeably better, and hopefully won't have the uneven front inner tire wear. Just giving some positive feedback for those who might be on the fence about this modification.

Last edited by tabjohitol; 04-24-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 03:38 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

How much were the bushings? $399? from what I remember, pretty pricey. The BMW world gets more options in terms of different grades of harshness.

Also will they require grease at install and thereafter?

Thanks for the photos.
Old 04-20-18, 03:39 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Oh and do the bushings slide on easily by hand or need to be pressed or hammered on?
Old 04-20-18, 11:09 PM
tabjohitol
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
How much were the bushings? $399? from what I remember, pretty pricey. The BMW world gets more options in terms of different grades of harshness.

Also will they require grease at install and thereafter?

Thanks for the photos.
Cost was $348, and shipping to VA was $17. Pricey but hopefully worth it in the long run if it saves me from uneven wear on my tires. These bushings are pretty firm, very little give. You will need to apply grease, I had some Mobil 1 Synthetic grease handy so I used that. I think the instructions may have actually recommended specific kinds of grease to use, but I just went with what I had, hopefully I chose right

Sliding it off the old factory bushings and installing the new ones was a breeze. Specone's youtube video showed him using a pry bar to lower the control arm, and I think the instructions might also recommend this. Also seemed like the install on my 2015 was much easier than his was on his 2014. I didn't have metal bars and plastic pieces in the way, and the bushings used just bolts, no retaining nuts.

Originally Posted by E46CT
Oh and do the bushings slide on easily by hand or need to be pressed or hammered on?
Since we were under the car, it was easy enough just to pull down the lower control arm by hand and slide the bushing off/on. Very little effort, no need to hammer anything. Torque everything down to spec and probably all done in less than half hour.

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Running the same tires and loving them so far as well, great choice. Also gotta say the matador red mica looks awesome... but I may be slightly biased... MRM ftw!
Agreed, pretty happy with these tires even if they are a bit pricey. And yeah, its good to see another MRM owner on here, doesn't seem like a very popular color, but I really dig it.

Last edited by tabjohitol; 04-20-18 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-21-18, 05:40 AM
Tim151
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 44 Posts

Really something I've been wanting, does it really make a difference in the steering feel and selecting the different modes
(normal,sport, sport+) do you notice a improvement.
Old 04-21-18, 06:28 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by tabjohitol
Didn't even make it past this pic... #TeamMRM
Old 04-21-18, 08:06 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Damn...should have got the red.
Old 04-21-18, 08:11 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Did you notice how soft the factory bushing were? night and day difference in firmness.

I drove mine about 4k miles with brand new tires, alignment and the USRS. So far so good. no sign on any type of inner wear what so ever.
Old 04-22-18, 09:25 PM
Panzer126
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How are these in terms of hitting pot holes? I'm in Toronto and would love this upgrade but this winter the roads ate three 6 month old AS3+, and my front suspension was leaking (2014 model). Also my windshield cracked from the edge roughly 2 days after that hit when the temp went from very cold to decent, could be from a chip though. The Gardiner Expressway has cost me about 3K+ so far this winter.

Would it be stupid to get the USRS?
Old 04-23-18, 04:47 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Panzer126
How are these in terms of hitting pot holes? I'm in Toronto and would love this upgrade but this winter the roads ate three 6 month old AS3+, and my front suspension was leaking (2014 model). Also my windshield cracked from the edge roughly 2 days after that hit when the temp went from very cold to decent, could be from a chip though. The Gardiner Expressway has cost me about 3K+ so far this winter.

Would it be stupid to get the USRS?
The USRS are really meant to correct the abnormal toe wear on the front.
Your issue is you live in Toronto...you just need to move lol
The roads are brutal after this winter...there are pot holes that could swallow a small child.
Old 04-23-18, 08:16 AM
Panzer126
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The USRS are really meant to correct the abnormal toe wear on the front.
Your issue is you live in Toronto...you just need to move lol
The roads are brutal after this winter...there are pot holes that could swallow a small child.
Yup I did just that, moved back in with the parents in Milton for a bit. Still go into the City every week. What I meant is that the USRS are much firmer wouldn't that just cause more damage to the car if I were to hit potholes? I was talking to my mechanic savvy friend and he had big worries about how hard they were compared to the OEM which had some give. If you hit a pot holes something has to give.
Old 04-23-18, 08:18 AM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Just do it...

I went with the FIGS Bushings and haven't looked back once.
Old 04-23-18, 08:34 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Panzer126
Yup I did just that, moved back in with the parents in Milton for a bit. Still go into the City every week. What I meant is that the USRS are much firmer wouldn't that just cause more damage to the car if I were to hit potholes? I was talking to my mechanic savvy friend and he had big worries about how hard they were compared to the OEM which had some give. If you hit a pot holes something has to give.
With respects to hitting pot holes only...the order of things effected would be: Tire, rim, shock/strut, ball joints, and then bushings (like the USRS) somewhere after that.
In the situation of pot holes, you generally hit them when travelling in a straight line (or trying to dodge them last minute...unsuccessfully lol)...while the bushings will absorb some of the energy from the impact, first and foremost, the tires, rims, shocks, etc. will absorb the vast majority of the impact, if not all. Realistically the USRS won't play a factor in the result or feel of the impact.
The abnormal toe wear, as indicated by RRRacing, occurs when the vehicle is turning under load, which is what the USRS are meant to address...which is an opposite scenario compared to when you hit potholes.

Getting the USRS overall is a good idea, they just won't have any impact (no pun intended) on the outcome of hitting a pot hole.
The following users liked this post:
DizzyV6P (04-23-18)
Old 04-23-18, 10:14 PM
Panzer126
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
With respects to hitting pot holes only...the order of things effected would be: Tire, rim, shock/strut, ball joints, and then bushings (like the USRS) somewhere after that.
In the situation of pot holes, you generally hit them when travelling in a straight line (or trying to dodge them last minute...unsuccessfully lol)...while the bushings will absorb some of the energy from the impact, first and foremost, the tires, rims, shocks, etc. will absorb the vast majority of the impact, if not all. Realistically the USRS won't play a factor in the result or feel of the impact.
The abnormal toe wear, as indicated by RRRacing, occurs when the vehicle is turning under load, which is what the USRS are meant to address...which is an opposite scenario compared to when you hit potholes.

Getting the USRS overall is a good idea, they just won't have any impact (no pun intended) on the outcome of hitting a pot hole.
Ah I see thank you for the explanation.