IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anyone here come from Acura

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 10:56 AM
nothomex17
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone here come from Acura

Been driving an Acura brand car since the early 90's and been thinking of jumping on the IS350 for awhile. What are your thoughts of the driving difference and dependability?

Last edited by nothomex17; 04-06-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-06-18, 11:10 AM
jack2018
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nothomex17
Been driving an Acura brand car since the early 90's and been thinking of jumping on the IS350 for awhile. What are your thoughts of the driving difference?
stay with acura lol
I had two acura before TL and MDX. switch to lexus in 2016 but not happy with it. might change back to acura in a year or two.
Old 04-06-18, 02:15 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

either you are misinformed or trolling?

Objectively, Toyota/Lexus is a vastly superior brand to Honda/Acura, particularly in terms of reliability. I can write you a detailed 10 page report on this.

In summary, the engines aren't bad, but Honda is NOTORIOUS for having the crappiest automatic transmissions, even to this modern day. The latest latest LATEST Honda/Acura transmissions are newest 10 speed spec/design likely sourced by ZF, so things may change. But Lexus is the golden standard for reliability and quality.

It's better though to discuss particular cars vs. generalization. Because you're buying a car, not a brand. But in general, Lexus is #1 when it comes to dependability. And the newest Lexuses are RWD where all hondas are FWD based. So driving dynamics, no contest--Lexus wins again (vs. acura)
The following users liked this post:
nothomex17 (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 02:23 PM
2jzdc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've driven a few Acuras, and they do not compare to Lexus at all.

FWD vs RWD. and engine wise Lexus engines are vastly smoother than Acura.
nothomex17 (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 02:26 PM
jack2018
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
either you are misinformed or trolling?

Objectively, Toyota/Lexus is a vastly superior brand to Honda/Acura, particularly in terms of reliability. I can write you a detailed 10 page report on this.

In summary, the engines aren't bad, but Honda is NOTORIOUS for having the crappiest automatic transmissions, even to this modern day. The latest latest LATEST Honda/Acura transmissions are newest 10 speed spec/design likely sourced by ZF, so things may change. But Lexus is the golden standard for reliability and quality.

It's better though to discuss particular cars vs. generalization. Because you're buying a car, not a brand. But in general, Lexus is #1 when it comes to dependability. And the newest Lexuses are RWD where all hondas are FWD based. So driving dynamics, no contest--Lexus wins again (vs. acura)
thats what i thought thats why i switched from acura to lexus but oh boy big mistake. I drove 2016 nx200t and 2018 rx350 awd the quality so disappointed.
GrizzlyMan (10-27-21)
Old 04-06-18, 03:03 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes better to compare particular models. Which Acura models have you driven and which Lexus models are you interested in?

They're both reliable Japanese brands (Toyota/Lexus being a bit more reliable), with good quality and workmanship. I think, in general, if you're used to Japanese cars, you will be fine with either Acura or Lexus.
Old 04-06-18, 03:12 PM
nothomex17
Driver School Candidate

All of my cars are manual and still running, passed down to younger siblings. (below are the models) I agree, Honda/Acura automatic transmissions are like glass which why I stayed with manual transmissions. The manual has its quirks though but never experienced them. (2nd gear grind or 3 gear pop out. Now that I can afford a Lexus they no longer have new models that come manual. Still considering getting a Lexus due to Acura's styling hasn't been sexy for the last decade. ZF tranny still has issues, direct injected can be an issue in the long run.

1992 Integra GSR, 2000 Integra GSR, 2006 TSX manual, 2008 TL Type S manual.

Last edited by nothomex17; 04-06-18 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-06-18, 03:48 PM
zhieson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I owned an Acura TSX from 2007 to 2016. Put on about 100k miles and I loved the car. I think my biggest issue was replacing an alternator at 118k but everything was just regular maintenance.

I've owned my IS350 fsport for about 2 years, with about 25k miles and I love it equally. A nice upgrade due to the fact my IS350 has 100hp+ more power and about 10 years newer.
I feel like the TSX had better handling and felt more connected to the road, but the IS is obviously much quicker, and more luxurious/comfortable. I had that battery bug but its only showed up once (20k miles ago), and squeaky brakes (which are mostly gone) but it hasn't given me any real problems. Other than that, my biggest complaint is the gas pedal lag (outside of sport mode). I almost went BMW 4-series but I'm glad I went with the reliability of Lexus. So far I've gotten exactly what I expected and I'm happy.

nothomex17 (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 04:06 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nothomex17
All of my cars are manual and still running, passed down to younger siblings. (below are the models) I agree, Honda/Acura automatic transmissions are like glass which why I stayed with manual transmissions. The manual has its quirks though but never experienced them. (2nd gear grind or 3 gear pop out. Now that I can afford a Lexus they no longer have new models that come manual. Still considering getting a Lexus due to Acura's styling hasn't been sexy for the last decade. ZF tranny still has issues, direct injected can be an issue in the long run.

1992 Integra GSR, 2000 Integra GSR, 2006 TSX manual, 2008 TL Type S manual.
Compared to the Acura's you listed, the IS may have more minor quirks (seat wear, battery drain, squeaky brakes, Nav LCD issues) but in the long run will be just as reliable and fun as the Acuras. You will enjoy the power difference for sure...as long as you get a 3.5L. You can fix the not-very-sporty suspension with aftermarket options too. I don't think you have anything to worry about moving to Lexus.
nothomex17 (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 05:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I came from a first gen TSX to an IS then GS. I doubt I’d ever go back. Our TSX was a good car, but I’ve never owned anything with so many rattles. Drove me crazy. Also I really don’t want to go back to FWD.
Old 04-06-18, 06:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I've had a past Integra 4-door, TL, and two Civic Si's all from the 90's. Those cars had character with their screaming VTEC engines and buttery smooth 5-speeds. They were also bullet-proof reliable, on par with Toyota/Honda/Lexus in the day. Fast-forward to today, the IS is more isolated, will feel heavier, and you may find it not as "fun" but that aside, it will be leaps and bounds ahead on build quality, solidity, comfort, power, and prestige. And of course, reliable.

Good luck!
nothomex17 (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 06:18 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Two MDX >> BMW X5 >> RX-450h >> Audi SQ5(two things to improve, it is hard to modulate braking, feel on steering) I ditched 2015 MDX after driving it barely 2 months. Had similar problem with new tranny on late RX350s. BMW or Audi don't have the hesitation or shift problem.
nothomex17 (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 07:24 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Bought a Black 2005 Acura TL back in 2006-7 , V6 Engine, until 2010 and got in touch with 2010 IS250 AWD and than sold IS250 AWD and bought 2011 IS350 AWD and then 3rd Gen IS Fsport AWD, lets go back to the 90s, i've owned a Supra a Prelude and a Toyota Solara, before i got the 05 TL.

comparison, reliable to Toyota vs Honda = Toyota better , Luxurious Acura vs Lexus = Lexus is better, fun to drive Honda/Acura vs Toyota/Lexus = Honda/Acura better Because driving the Acura TL i can BEAT THAT CRAP with no worry lol same as Driving my Solara, damn i drive very hard.

Suspension components reliability Toyota vs Honda = of course TOYOTA BETTER, my 2001 Solara parts 90% OEM still, only the endlinks and Transmission mount/bushing are replaced with aftermarket, the TL suspension keep on breaking however the TL handling is better than the Solara.

Gas Mileage wise = either 3.0L Solara 1MZ-FE or the 3.3L is much better than Acura TL, i say way better, i decided to keep my old Solara because its memories, this Solara has been with me for 15 years and made A LOT OF MONEY for me. so damn RELIABLE, the Prelude was headache with Transmission the TL transmission was good except other things but honestly had fun driving in Honda/Acura more than Toyota.

let say, if you compare Acura TL vs IS350 , you gotta be kidding, of course IS350 Fsport is better and way to you, TL is little cheaper but Toyota/Lexus today is not like the 90s and the Y2K, today Toyota/Lexus is something new, new fun to drive new performance new style new safety new handling, the design is Sexy like Girls at Lexus Dealership, Lexus stand for Let ...Sex you know ?

Even though i have issue with the Navigation on my IS350 AWD Fsport but i think I don't MIND and care, i buy this Lexus IS for Sexy Performance and handling, sometimes i get frustrated but think again nah overall Lexus IS350 AWD F Sport SUITS my need my Type my Style my Daily Commute Daily driven style and important = My POCKET $$$ ! Gas mileage is much better than my old Acura TL and Toyota Solara and i ONLY DRIVE V6 or higher ! just bought a 2017 Brand Toyota RAV4 for my sister, i'm feeling the gas mileage is slightly different compared to my IS350, not so sure i gotta performance a test.

So the answer for you is = Lexus IS350 AWD Fsport or IS300 !
nothomex17 (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 07:46 PM
benj0
Driver School Candidate

I came from an 2004 Acura TL automatic. The engine is nice and strong especially when the vtec kicks in,. The tranny is horrible, got it replaced at 120K. The car feels heavy and has a mean torque steer. My IS250 2015 has been nice a smooth, I love the steering. The engine is not as strong but feels smoother especially on the freeway. I have not tried the new 10 speed auto of honda and only time will tel if it will be reliable.
nothomex17 (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 09:28 PM
nothomex17
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zhieson
I owned an Acura TSX from 2007 to 2016. Put on about 100k miles and I loved the car. I think my biggest issue was replacing an alternator at 118k but everything was just regular maintenance.

I've owned my IS350 fsport for about 2 years, with about 25k miles and I love it equally. A nice upgrade due to the fact my IS350 has 100hp+ more power and about 10 years newer.
I feel like the TSX had better handling and felt more connected to the road, but the IS is obviously much quicker, and more luxurious/comfortable. I had that battery bug but its only showed up once (20k miles ago), and squeaky brakes (which are mostly gone) but it hasn't given me any real problems. Other than that, my biggest complaint is the gas pedal lag (outside of sport mode). I almost went BMW 4-series but I'm glad I went with the reliability of Lexus. So far I've gotten exactly what I expected and I'm happy.
Acura'a 1st Gen TSX and 3rd Gen TL were the best cars they had. They've lost there way after those models. My wife drives the 17 Audi S3 which is a fun car but I prefer the NA motors that is more predictable.
MX73 (04-07-18)

Quick Reply: Anyone here come from Acura