IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

AWD F-Sport and front tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 11:11 AM
cdanger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD F-Sport and front tire wear

I currently drive a 2014 IS 250 F sport AWD. I have about 6k miles on a set of Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3 PLUS and the front tires are both cupped and wearing faster on the inside, the back tires are completely fine. I do know that f sport's run through tires quicker but since they are cupped they are extremely loud. I have talked to 2 dealers and both said, that is how the car is (basically deal with it). I am wondering has anyone else experienced this? Is there a better tire that won't cup? I have had the car inspected (alignment, shocks, struts, etc) and they have said everything looks good. I live in a state with Winter so I do like the all-season tire. This is the second set of Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3 PLUS I have had on the car, both did the exact same thing.
Old 03-12-18, 11:50 AM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cdanger
I currently drive a 2014 IS 250 F sport AWD. I have about 6k miles on a set of Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3 PLUS and the front tires are both cupped and wearing faster on the inside, the back tires are completely fine. I do know that f sport's run through tires quicker but since they are cupped they are extremely loud. I have talked to 2 dealers and both said, that is how the car is (basically deal with it). I am wondering has anyone else experienced this? Is there a better tire that won't cup? I have had the car inspected (alignment, shocks, struts, etc) and they have said everything looks good. I live in a state with Winter so I do like the all-season tire. This is the second set of Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3 PLUS I have had on the car, both did the exact same thing.
A well know issue on 14+ models. The LCA (Lower control arm) bushings are way too soft. Hence the reason RR-Tuning makes a replacement. http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm
Old 03-12-18, 12:30 PM
cdanger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drawblood
A well know issue on 14+ models. The LCA (Lower control arm) bushings are way too soft. Hence the reason RR-Tuning makes a replacement. http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm
Thank you for the response. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars. How does swapping this out help?
Old 03-12-18, 01:28 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

... How does swapping this out help?
Happy reading: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...a-bushing.html
Old 03-12-18, 01:30 PM
Drawblood
Driver

Thank you for the response. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars. How does swapping this out help?
Watch the video at the bottom of the link I sent you. You'll learn everything you need to know!
Old 03-12-18, 06:41 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
LOL bro , don't bring me in there hahahaha
Old 03-13-18, 05:36 AM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Just upgraded my 2016 AWD to FIGS bushings.

One of the best things I've done to this car in a long time.

She feels like new again
Old 03-13-18, 03:05 PM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got an alignment and stopped driving so much in Sport modes and my tires are lasting a lot longer.
Old 03-13-18, 09:40 PM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this only AWD issue or also affects RWD??
Old 03-13-18, 09:49 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the exact same issue on my 350 awd F sport. I was planning to go get an alignment done and see what the specs are but when the dealer sold me the car everything was good according to them. It just kills the tires so quickly it cant be right for them to sell you a car like this without a proper permanent fix!
The following users liked this post:
Reeree (03-27-18)
Old 03-14-18, 12:16 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

simply speaking the factory bushings are too soft and causes the front wheels to angle out or toe out or negative toe during acceleration and braking. Harder bushings will negate the changes in the alignment but *may cause more NVH.

Mods, we should probablly get the front tire and brake pad wearing issue on the Sticky since we get about one every week.
Old 03-14-18, 12:21 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by alexkidd
I got an alignment and stopped driving so much in Sport modes and my tires are lasting a lot longer.
alignment has nothing to do with it. Your driving habit do affect it though. If you drive like a grandma, it should last you much longer.
Old 03-14-18, 07:38 AM
Santi18
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i was told i need to be keeping my tire pressure over 40psi and its been good ever since! Also @RRracing does have a fix for this a well!

http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm
Old 03-14-18, 06:42 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFLexy
I have the exact same issue on my 350 awd F sport. I was planning to go get an alignment done and see what the specs are but when the dealer sold me the car everything was good according to them. It just kills the tires so quickly it cant be right for them to sell you a car like this without a proper permanent fix!
1st i don't anybody after buying a used car, 1st thing done for buying used car is, Oil Change Air filter and alignment, mine 350 AWD Fsport Don'T HAVE THIS ISSUE, i was arguing with a member on here last year, i bought a BRAND NEW SET of YOKOHAMA and testing out, more than a year now the tires are still good, no unusual wears, Members claimed FIGS control bushing fixed this issue. We meet some day ill show you my car 100% bone stock with no issue !
Old 03-14-18, 06:57 PM
Drawblood
Driver

A lot of it is driving style. The F-Sport and base model share the same soft LCA bushings. I will venture and say the F-Sport drivers have a more "spirited" driving style.
This said driving style puts more torque on the soft durometer rubber bushings which leads to pre-mature inner tire wear. There's way too much evidence to pacify this conversation. Lexus has a problem with the bushings that need to be addressed...PERIOD!
With the higher durometer bushings comes a harsher ride. I believe Lexus hasn't changed them due to this issue. Ride quality is important for a luxury automobile!
Maybe Lexus should upgrade the F-sport models only.

Quick Reply: AWD F-Sport and front tire wear