IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

AWD F-Sport and front tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 05:12 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350

for Old Camry high profile they last me 80km . My guess is IS350 will last 60km . I dont drive smooth !
I will be happy with anything that last me two years...I drive pretty smooth during weekdays and have a little fun during weekends so my tires will probably last me longer than most people.
Old 03-19-18, 07:59 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same tire wear issue here. I'm on my 3rd set of tires with only 30K miles on the vehicle. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ were just replaced with Conti DWS06. Michelin's were cupping and getting noisy with only 7k miles and became so loud I would get a headache if I drove more than 30 minutes. The rears were not cupping but tread was down to 5/32 within 10k miles.Junk. If you have a Tires Plus near by they have a lifetime alignment option. I plan on taking my car in every couple months to have it checked. Is ridiculous needing to replace tires this often!
Old 03-20-18, 05:43 AM
DizzyV6P
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 2016 IS350 FSport at 11.3k miles, the Toyota dealer had to replace the 2 front tires because they said they were cupped a lot. Sport ++ is just too much fun! LOL! I don't know how aggressive the previous lease owner drove the car, but it must have been aggressive if they already had to replace the 2 front tires. What exactly am I looking for as far as cupping is concerned? Any comparison reviews between the RR Racing version vs. the FIGS 80 version? This is my daily commute into downtown DC so I have to deal with a lot of potholes and uneven streets. LOL.

Thanks!

Last edited by DizzyV6P; 03-20-18 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-20-18, 07:25 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by gregerst
Same tire wear issue here. I'm on my 3rd set of tires with only 30K miles on the vehicle. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ were just replaced with Conti DWS06. Michelin's were cupping and getting noisy with only 7k miles and became so loud I would get a headache if I drove more than 30 minutes. The rears were not cupping but tread was down to 5/32 within 10k miles.Junk. If you have a Tires Plus near by they have a lifetime alignment option. I plan on taking my car in every couple months to have it checked. Is ridiculous needing to replace tires this often!
3rd? Good grief, I really don't understand this issue - maybe it has to do with highway driving, too? I don't drive on the highway much at all, since I just take city streets on the commute - faster that way. I have service in a week, so we'll see what they say - but from my last spot-check at home the tires looked like they have some life left at 17k miles (still running the stock Bridgestones).
Old 03-20-18, 08:07 AM
DizzyV6P
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Drawblood
A lot of it is driving style. The F-Sport and base model share the same soft LCA bushings. I will venture and say the F-Sport drivers have a more "spirited" driving style.
Maybe Lexus should upgrade the F-sport models only.
LOL! That would be a great idea. Except for the fact that we are talking about a company that made remote start an option on a $40+K car, memory seats? optional, heck, they even took out the JDM fog lights in the US version to cut cost and increase profit margin! This is stuff that come STANDARD on a sub $25k Kia!!!
Old 03-27-18, 06:36 PM
Reeree
Driver School Candidate

Default Help with IS 250 tires - 12K miles and front tires are shot

I cannot believe I bought what I thought was a reliable car and am now being told to expect my tires to wear out in 10-15K miles because of the front suspension by design (according to my lexus dealer). I am used to getting 40K miles on a set of tires. The first set of new tires I bought after 22K miles were showing the metal reinforcements - but just on the front. Now after 12K on this new set of tires, the car in the front is making a whirring noise and there is abnormal wear (as compared to other vehicles I have driven). I'm told this is normal? Where can I complain about this. What can you do to eliminate this? I love my car but it only has 47K miles, and I drive it like a grandma. Bought it because unlike the other lexus versions it has firmer steering, but I cannot see replacing my front tires every 15K miles. Is there a solution to this issue?
Old 03-27-18, 06:42 PM
Reeree
Driver School Candidate

Default IS250 tire wear

Originally Posted by alexkidd
I got an alignment and stopped driving so much in Sport modes and my tires are lasting a lot longer.
IS

I never drive in sport mode and my brand new tires from June look like they need to be replaced. What is the fix to this issue?
Old 03-27-18, 06:46 PM
Reeree
Driver School Candidate

Default 2014 IS250 sport - not F

Originally Posted by cdanger
I currently drive a 2014 IS 250 F sport AWD. I have about 6k miles on a set of Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3 PLUS and the front tires are both cupped and wearing faster on the inside, the back tires are completely fine. I do know that f sport's run through tires quicker but since they are cupped they are extremely loud. I have talked to 2 dealers and both said, that is how the car is (basically deal with it). I am wondering has anyone else experienced this? Is there a better tire that won't cup? I have had the car inspected (alignment, shocks, struts, etc) and they have said everything looks good. I live in a state with Winter so I do like the all-season tire. This is the second set of Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3 PLUS I have had on the car, both did the exact same thing.
I have the regular IS 250 AWD and am having the same issue and have Michelin tires- what can be done to correct this? I like the tight steering on the IS but don't drive it like a sports car. I want my tires to last more than 15K miles on the front. What is the fix for this?
Old 03-27-18, 06:53 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Reeree
I have the regular IS 250 AWD and am having the same issue and have Michelin tires- what can be done to correct this? I like the tight steering on the IS but don't drive it like a sports car. I want my tires to last more than 15K miles on the front. What is the fix for this?
Not sure if I have seen you before - welcome!

As mentioned a couple posts back in the thread, the most permanent solution for the issue has to be replacing the lower control arm bushings. Here's an example of the product you would need: http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm

Using these bushings will decrease the dynamic toe effect under braking and cornering, leading to less abuse on the inner portion of each tire.

I don't plan on doing this upgrade, at least not yet, since I have not experienced the issue, and I also have an AWD F Sport with over 17k miles.
Old 03-27-18, 07:10 PM
Reeree
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Not sure if I have seen you before - welcome!

As mentioned a couple posts back in the thread, the most permanent solution for the issue has to be replacing the lower control arm bushings. Here's an example of the product you would need: http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm

Using these bushings will decrease the dynamic toe effect under braking and cornering, leading to less abuse on the inner portion of each tire.

I don't plan on doing this upgrade, at least not yet, since I have not experienced the issue, and I also have an AWD F Sport with over 17k miles.
Thank you for sending that link. I plan to keep this car for 200K miles and need to nip this in the bud. When I bought the car with 7K miles, and had to replace the tires at 35K miles, I thought that was weird. Now to be told that is the norm, and only should expect 10-15 K miles - I'm a bit stunned. My front tires were really bad at that point. The back tires were both fine. And the new ones continue to be fine in the back The tread is great on the Michelin Pilot tires, its the wear on the other parts of the front tire (inner and outer) that is the issue. I mostly drive to a commuter rail station all of 14 miles round trip per day and occasional 100 mile trips for my job. Not a crazy driver - just a lot of mostly short trips. Never in sport mode. I just like the tight steering and look of this car. Was never going to be racing it anywhere. I'll check with a mechanic about replacing the bushings as you have suggested. Maybe that will gain me back the miles on the wear of the front tires.
Old 03-27-18, 07:32 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Reeree
Thank you for sending that link. I plan to keep this car for 200K miles and need to nip this in the bud. When I bought the car with 7K miles, and had to replace the tires at 35K miles, I thought that was weird. Now to be told that is the norm, and only should expect 10-15 K miles - I'm a bit stunned. My front tires were really bad at that point. The back tires were both fine. And the new ones continue to be fine in the back The tread is great on the Michelin Pilot tires, its the wear on the other parts of the front tire (inner and outer) that is the issue. I mostly drive to a commuter rail station all of 14 miles round trip per day and occasional 100 mile trips for my job. Not a crazy driver - just a lot of mostly short trips. Never in sport mode. I just like the tight steering and look of this car. Was never going to be racing it anywhere. I'll check with a mechanic about replacing the bushings as you have suggested. Maybe that will gain me back the miles on the wear of the front tires.
So, inner and outer? That's the first time I have seen that. Not sure if anyone else here has seen that...?
Old 03-28-18, 11:36 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I too had outer tire wear after just 25K miles. Horrible. So I got new tires and got an alignment done at the stealership, and will see how it wears this summer when I take off the winters.
Old 03-28-18, 11:38 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

anyway to utilize the Rim and Tire package into this?
Old 05-04-19, 02:06 PM
Mathsss
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm reading the threads about tire replacement for Turanza's and it looks like Continental DWS 06 are a good choice and Michelin to avoid. Is there any other advice? I would like to have the same mag protector as the Turanza have and the Conti does not seem to have any protector. The firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are pretty cheap look to have good review. Someone tried these?
Old 05-04-19, 06:59 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Mathsss
I'm reading the threads about tire replacement for Turanza's and it looks like Continental DWS 06 are a good choice and Michelin to avoid. Is there any other advice? I would like to have the same mag protector as the Turanza have and the Conti does not seem to have any protector. The firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are pretty cheap look to have good review. Someone tried these?
Are you talking about the rim protector? I do think the Turanzas actually had decent rim protection. I definitely have some minor scuffs on the rim of one of my wheels from what I assume is hitting a pothole. I never got anything like that when I had the Turanzas.

However, I would not buy the Turanzas again. They wore out quickly, weren't especially smooth-riding, and didn't have remotely the same performance as the Comp-2 A/S that I have now.

Honestly, whether a tire is a good choice is up to you. What do you want to get out of the tire? If you want the max performance but need all-seasons, the Michelins and BFGoodrich are the way to go. The Continentals will be more comfortable and more capable in snow, but they are much less responsive than the other two. I've heard the Yokohama A/S tires are a nice middle ground and more affordable than the top tiers. Personally I've had a great experience with my BFGoodrich's, and I have pushed them pretty hard a couple of times (for example, this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-missouri.html). They are better than the Turanzas in snow, too, FWIW.

Quick Reply: AWD F-Sport and front tire wear