IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

AWD F-Sport and front tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 07:16 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Santi18
i was told i need to be keeping my tire pressure over 40psi and its been good ever since! Also @RRracing does have a fix for this a well!

http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm
high PSI only when you do track or high speed, did you know when your tires gets hot PSI increase to approximately 4-6 more PSI right ? over inflate easily lose traction not good for SNOW or RAIN, in the Canada winter i keep it 34 psi cold, 36 psi hot as Lexus recommend, people loves to play Engineer-game with OEM specs
Old 03-14-18, 07:31 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by Drawblood
A lot of it is driving style. The F-Sport and base model share the same soft LCA bushings. I will venture and say the F-Sport drivers have a more "spirited" driving style.
This said driving style puts more torque on the soft durometer rubber bushings which leads to pre-mature inner tire wear. There's way too much evidence to pacify this conversation. Lexus has a problem with the bushings that need to be addressed...PERIOD!
With the higher durometer bushings comes a harsher ride. I believe Lexus hasn't changed them due to this issue. Ride quality is important for a luxury automobile!
Maybe Lexus should upgrade the F-sport models only.
BMW and Mercedes had this issue ever since bro along with Carbon buildup, LCA bushing isn't the only bushing on the car, many factor that causes inner/outer tire wear, i'm not saying LCA bushing won't cause tires worn out like this, if they are damaged yes they will, my question is, if Lexus LCA bushing is ...let say "defect" then everyone should have this problem right ? i'm sure they will have a recall, it is a safety issue. don't misunderstand its not because i don't believe you but anyone has this problem please write to Lexus Canada/America and let them know, when they have enough complaints they will recall .
Old 03-15-18, 01:22 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,498 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
BMW and Mercedes had this issue ever since bro along with Carbon buildup, LCA bushing isn't the only bushing on the car, many factor that causes inner/outer tire wear, i'm not saying LCA bushing won't cause tires worn out like this, if they are damaged yes they will, my question is, if Lexus LCA bushing is ...let say "defect" then everyone should have this problem right ? i'm sure they will have a recall, it is a safety issue. don't misunderstand its not because i don't believe you but anyone has this problem please write to Lexus Canada/America and let them know, when they have enough complaints they will recall .
I think there's plenty of evidence to support the LCA bushing upgrade as a solution to this problem for those who have it. However, at 17k miles, I have no evidence of inner tire wear on my IS 300 AWD F Sport (completely stock, btw). I drive somewhat aggressively - never at 10/10ths really, and some days I am pretty chill, but then again I do like to have fun sometimes. I have been checking for signs of this issue for a few months and not seen anything. So, you bring up a good point that not everyone has it, but there are so many factors coming into play that it can be hard to say. Obviously it's not well-engineered if it is as widespread as it would seem, whether everyone has it or not.
Old 03-15-18, 07:10 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think there's plenty of evidence to support the LCA bushing upgrade as a solution to this problem for those who have it. However, at 17k miles, I have no evidence of inner tire wear on my IS 300 AWD F Sport (completely stock, btw). I drive somewhat aggressively - never at 10/10ths really, and some days I am pretty chill, but then again I do like to have fun sometimes. I have been checking for signs of this issue for a few months and not seen anything. So, you bring up a good point that not everyone has it, but there are so many factors coming into play that it can be hard to say. Obviously it's not well-engineered if it is as widespread as it would seem, whether everyone has it or not.
Your post is the best post ive ever read on here regarding to IS LCA bushing, i think we, me and you have the same Driving Habit, yes i drive in Sport+ mode aggressively most of the time but sometime except Rain/Snow day i'm chill and cruising. I totally agreed with you that current 3rd gen IS LCA bushing is poorly engineered but not as bad compare to other car, gen3 IS has the best Slalom test and cornering, and i did tested out myself. The inner tire wear....honestly i don't know why people having this issue but not me or you.

Secondly, Gen3 Lexus IS 350 AWD Fsport HANDLES SNOW STORM in TORONTO CANADA really DAMN WELL, i'm a guy that NEVER had SNOW TIRES on any of my car for 20 years, last year bought brand new set of snow tires and tested, i was impressed with Lexus IS, THIS YEAR, i bought a BRAND NEW YOkomaha All-Season tires and drove in this SNOW STORM , still have them on my car, i was like Damn you girl, i think i don't need Snow tires for my this gen3 IS , the relaxation feeling to drive in Snow STorm i ever experienced in any car. "bro i drove with this Yokomaha set all year around, no premature wears or inner wears, i put a set of snow tires on my Toyota Solara. My Solara is a LOWERED Car with TRD SPECS and CAMBER KITS installed, 15 years+ no premature tire wears, they wear normally like regular suspension. because i had Camber kits ! Alignment done every 2 years. TRD lowered 1.2 inch , i took it off lowered it 2 inches with AG Lowering spring. Made in Argentina .
Old 03-15-18, 09:04 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Working as a Lexus Service Advisor I can safely say that there IS a problem with the LCA bushings.

My IS customers only get 20K out of their tires and its rather painful to have the alignment conversation with them once a year. There IS an issue and the FIGS / RR Racing bushings easily correct the issue.
Old 03-15-18, 09:29 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by rL-gT
Working as a Lexus Service Advisor I can safely say that there IS a problem with the LCA bushings.

My IS customers only get 20K out of their tires and its rather painful to have the alignment conversation with them once a year. There IS an issue and the FIGS / RR Racing bushings easily correct the issue.
Still up Chris ? lol 20k is like a set of tires per year, bought brand new all-season Yokomaha last year, i did check last month oil change, tires looked new, tomorrow i go to the shop and ill ask the Master about my tires, lol your customers sucks Chris hahahaha, you sell FIGS or RR bushing Chris ? i know they improves handling and i don't know if OEM LCA Bushing causes inner tires wear i might buy a set for Handling not Tires wear, better cornering braking steering and drive comfort but harsh over a bump lol that's call "Performance LCA Bushing"

Last edited by Solara350; 03-15-18 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 03:50 PM
is350lexf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same issue except the tires are cupping with noticeable noise with less than 10k miles on Pilot Sport A/S 3+. This is my second set of them with my first set only lasting around 15k miles before I had to replace.

I know the bushing has been mentioned but can somebody check my previous alignment to see if anything could've been tweaked?

Old 03-17-18, 04:20 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

AS3 are easily the worst tires for this vehicle.

I've had nothing but bad issues with them.
Old 03-17-18, 07:11 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

AS3 are easily the worst tires for this vehicle.

I've had nothing but bad issues with them.
What would you recommend Chris for all season?
Old 03-17-18, 09:30 PM
rL-gT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by minhael
What would you recommend Chris for all season?
I'm a big fan of the conti DWS line up.
Old 03-17-18, 09:49 PM
minhael
Pole Position

I'm a big fan of the conti DWS line up.

Yup...seems like the Michelin and Conti are mostly used by CL members but Michelin seems like a hit and miss. I am look into conti DWS. Thanks.
Old 03-18-18, 07:41 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by is350lexf
I'm having the same issue except the tires are cupping with noticeable noise with less than 10k miles on Pilot Sport A/S 3+. This is my second set of them with my first set only lasting around 15k miles before I had to replace.

I know the bushing has been mentioned but can somebody check my previous alignment to see if anything could've been tweaked?

Your alignment is within the factory specs. I always ask for 0 toe as possible and that's the only alignment adjustment can be made on these cars without getting an aftermarket kit. There isn't much you can do about the inner wear without getting the LCA bushings. You could try to get more + toe but you are already at +toe.

As far as the cupping goes, it is usually due to blown shocks or tire pressure. Again not much can do about it with the alignment.
Old 03-18-18, 09:03 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Yup...seems like the Michelin and Conti are mostly used by CL members but Michelin seems like a hit and miss. I am look into conti DWS. Thanks.
Continental or Yokohama , i'm with Yokohama at 28k km tires looks new ! i had Michellin on my Solara, i get tire spins or understeer most of the time. old school Mechellin wears slower than others but the tires get harden and bad traction.

Your IS having this Inner tire issue bro ? and Lexus ain't do anything about this !
Old 03-18-18, 11:23 AM
minhael
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Solara350
Continental or Yokohama , i'm with Yokohama at 28k km tires looks new ! i had Michellin on my Solara, i get tire spins or understeer most of the time. old school Mechellin wears slower than others but the tires get harden and bad traction.

Your IS having this Inner tire issue bro ? and Lexus ain't do anything about this !
I have no tire issues with my Lexus. I have the oem tires on and it's around 23000 km now and seems like i still have 10 km to go lol.
Old 03-18-18, 04:10 PM
Solara350
Instructor

I have no tire issues with my Lexus. I have the oem tires on and it's around 23000 km now and seems like i still have 10 km to go lol.
for Old Camry high profile they last me 80km . My guess is IS350 will last 60km . I dont drive smooth !

Quick Reply: AWD F-Sport and front tire wear