IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Putting matching front wheels in back to eliminate staggered setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 10:07 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude those look exactly like stock
were they perfectly true and also any balancing issues?

thats my only concern with aftermarket wheels. You never know but if they are good I think I’m ordering those today
Old 02-20-18, 10:13 AM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunhill421
Dude those look exactly like stock
were they perfectly true and also any balancing issues?

thats my only concern with aftermarket wheels. You never know but if they are good I think I’m ordering those today
I've had my snow tires on them for two months with zero issues. Not sure how the paint will hold up with the salt, but for that price, I'll get them repainted in five years if needed.
Old 02-20-18, 11:20 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

Sounds good. Is there any difference from them to stock that you notice? Color design?
Old 02-20-18, 11:32 AM
Drawblood
Driver

None that I can tell. Metallic Ghost Grey color might be slightly different in tone, but it depends on what the lighting is. Any metallic paint has a tendency to shift hue in different light. My guess is these are refinished OEM rims taken off salvaged Lexus' (or stolen). All four of the rims mounted and balanced with no issues. It definitely wouldn't hurt to take them in and get them checked for "true" before mounting tires.
They're sold by Santa Ana Wheel https://www.santaanawheel.com/

Great thing is...you're protected by Amazon buyer protection.
Old 02-20-18, 11:40 AM
Drawblood
Driver

I stand corrected...the description says NEW which means replica. Made by Velospinner

Product description

Condition: New Replacement, OEM Quality
Quantity: 1 Piece
Fitment: LEXUS
2014 2015 IS250
2014-2017 IS350
Hollander: 560-74292
Rim Material: Aluminum
Surface Finish: Painted
Item Specifics
Brand : VELOSPINNER
Manufacturer Part Number : 4261A53311
Rim Diameter : 18
Rim Width : 8
Offset : 45
Number of Bolts : 5
Bolt Pattern : 114.3mm
Hub Bore : 60
Interchange Part Number : 560-74292, 74292
Old 02-20-18, 12:29 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Think you're looking for these?

https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...bC12Ni1nYXM%3D
Old 02-20-18, 12:33 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Thanks premier the post I put 8 posts ago for lexushubis same but cheaper.

Old 02-20-18, 12:43 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks premier the post I put 8 posts ago for lexushubis same but cheaper.

oops didn't even notice...
Old 02-20-18, 03:00 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
Factory production stagger dates to 1970? on the 'Cuda, with 1 size larger rears. It was laughed at by some writers ("Chrysler guys are idiots, the weight distribution shows the car is clearly nose-heavy, so the larger tires should be on the front!"). Of course, these are largely "sports car" people, whose personal engines couldn't pull the skin off a chocolate pudding, so the idea of relative force escapes them.
On a RWD (only) car, the total tractive effort is higher in the rear, and requires more tread contact, because the front axle does not transmit power. Rim shot! Even if 4WD, the torque split always favors the rear differential.

If your rears fit the front at all, they will have less fender etc. clearance. Lexus made both the tire designation, and the fender profile to be compatible. When you decide they're wrong expect problems.
You're right, Stagger setup is good for RWD because it needs more traction for that kind of big power and FWD dont need stagger, lets talk about Lexus IS , Chrysler gone bankrupt for reasons, the IS350 AWD system work differently compared to Subaru, Subaru is Symmetrical full time All Wheel drive they are 50/50, as i know Lexus IS put 70% power to the REAR and 30% power to the front but "WHEN Slippage or Skid LEXUS Computerized transform AWD system to 50%-50% co-operate with Traction system and rebalance+re-traction the car, thats why they put stagger on Lexus IS 2014+ year and that helps it, you can argue with Lexus suspension engineer and ask why they wants to waste your MONEY why not go 225/45/17 to save your money ! i think you should check out this Thead https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...light=AWD+work (most of us wants bigger rim and wheel for more handling and you guys want to degrade the suspension by going smaller)
Old 02-20-18, 03:10 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

You guys do realize that the base awd version of our cars come with 17 inch wheels non staggered setup?

its the same car lol without staggered setup and no issues with the way it handles or drives. I spoke with a lead teach from Lexus over the weekend and he said the only downside is that the narrower tires will have less traction for performance related driving like pushing the car hard.

He said youll actually get better better gas mileage and be able to rotate the tires as well as have more of a selection on the kind of tires I can buy.

Ay ha brother, i did explained to you in the 1st post very clear, you going the way to save $$$$ thats good nothing wrong, but i concern about your safety, because IS is performance car they needs that kind of handling to handle the car, the Lexus tech was totally right, you can go 225 and drive normal it works fine i never said it wont, because the Differential was originally created consist with 225/45/17 at 1st ratio and clearance are the same, by the way lol don't buy Replica Rims they can BREAK trust me not SAFETY bro, find used on your local craiglist or Kijiji. 1 thing i like to tell you, stagger setup drives better in the winter than non-stagger !
Old 02-21-18, 07:53 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

Solara.

Thank you you for your concerns. I do appreciate it.
I believe the car will handle fine.

I might just just order the stock rims for 475 ea.
its a one time investment to save money down the road in tires.

I appreciate everyones input input as always this is what makes this forum so good. The members.
Old 02-21-18, 08:37 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Late to the fun, but yes non-stagger is fine. So many people forget that multiple pre-2018 IS models come factory with non-stagger 225 tire wheels. There’s absolutely NO safety issue. If there were a safety issue, tons of people would have been crashing and Lexus would have recalled them.

A staggered setup is just more ‘premium’ and adds to the sport of the car, sure with increased performance, but that doesn’t mean the base non-stagger sizing is unsafe, it’s just not as performance oriented because of its obviously smaller contact patch. Our cars do not need staggered. Yes these are ‘sport sedans’ but they aren’t Corvettes. The 255 contact patch isn’t needed to keep all of the massive 306 hp on the road haha. If you have a Dodge Hellcat and put 225 tires on the rears, yes it’s a safety issue, but not on our cars.
Old 02-21-18, 09:41 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

That’s exactly what I’ve been trying to say.
Our cars have the same power as an Infiniti or a maxima and probably other cars.

The staggered is nice and im sure Lexus has a deal with Bridgestone to sell millions of tires due to our non rotatable setup.

The base is300 still comes with non staggered from the factory.

Old 07-12-21, 03:56 PM
AquaMayne
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

@Dunhill421 I cant believe some of these rude azz comments on here, wow! I was just thinking about what you wanted to do, so i looked it up, thats funny! Im curious what you ended up doing? After much help from users on here im going to be getting 4 new rims that are 18x8.5 and probably gunna do either 245/35 or 255/35. I would much rather prefer a square setup, just like you!
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (07-12-21)

Quick Reply: Putting matching front wheels in back to eliminate staggered setup