IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gauge cluster swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-20, 07:21 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom3IS
I see, thanks for the quick reply! I'd like to source a non-navigation cluster, but they're hard to come by as I think most F-sport models without navigation had to be special order iirc. For your cluster were you lucky enough to source a matching non-navigation F-sport cluster or did you just go with a cluster from a car with navigation? (I saw that the cluster you sourced came from a vehicle with BSM/RCTA but didn't see a mention of navigation vs non-navigation for the new cluster)
Yes I sourced a non-navigation cluster.
Old 03-04-21, 03:56 PM
snardo0615
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Any luck on installing the navigation cluster on the non navigation car?
Old 03-06-21, 10:24 PM
snardo0615
Rookie

I installed a 2019 RC 350 F sport cluster on my 2019 RC non F sport and it worked perfectly with no issues and no error. I was lucky to find one a couple mile shy from mine. Looks super sick.
Old 03-16-21, 06:47 AM
snardo0615
Rookie

Question, did anyone have any issues with the low fuel indicator light not coming on?

I have about 19 miles left of range and it still has not come on. Is this normal?
Old 03-23-21, 07:24 AM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
F Sport cluster is definitely way cooler and sporty IMO. I haven’t met anyone who has said the IS dash would look better with the traditional tachs.
Don't you know any adults?
Old 04-14-21, 07:34 PM
Carnage703
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright seeing OPs build and some of the comments here definitely inspired me to go for the cluster swap. I've got a 2015 Base RC350 with 33,330 miles and I found one that's supposedly 32k which is close enough for me .

Old 01-06-22, 09:53 PM
RateddRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help!

Originally Posted by bgeims
If you swap your base model gauge for an F-sport gauge, all functions will work IF both gauges are from the same model year. I did the swap awhile ago and re-programmed my mileage.

You cannot simply sell a vehicle that has a discrepancy between the mileage indicated on the dashboard and the actual vehicle mileage. You either have to re-program the mileage to match or deal with paperwork and possible headaches down the road when you want to sell the vehicle. If you do not re-program to match, or take the proper steps when selling the vehicle to disclose the actual mileage, that would be a federal offense.

Additionally, the mileage on the odometer is recorded every time you get your car serviced. Having the correct mileage will aid in easier record keeping if your service center publishes this information online/in a database. Think of CarFax and Lexus Online Service History, those types of databases.

I did it for the peace of mind and because my Lexus Service Rep said they would honor my vehicles warranty only if my new odometer reading matched my actual mileage.

I bought a new F sport gauge cluster that was roughly 18000 miles ahead. I drove it around 9000 miles and decided I wanted to sell. Now I was stuck. I decided to buy a 3rd gauge cluster that was non f sport and that did have the correct mileage. Boom, Checks PCS system came up, Then I returned it and bought another non f sport. Same thing. Now i’m on my 6th gauge cluster and they all have the damn pcs system.
Old 01-07-22, 03:23 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by RateddRC
I bought a new F sport gauge cluster that was roughly 18000 miles ahead. I drove it around 9000 miles and decided I wanted to sell. Now I was stuck. I decided to buy a 3rd gauge cluster that was non f sport and that did have the correct mileage. Boom, Checks PCS system came up, Then I returned it and bought another non f sport. Same thing. Now i’m on my 6th gauge cluster and they all have the damn pcs system.
...? 6th gauge cluster? I've done this swap myself and it certainly doesn't take that many. You have to get the VIN number of the car the cluster is coming from (which the seller provides). You can go the Lexus website, add 'car to garage', put the VIN number in and it will show you the features the car came with. Usually the seller should also know this information.

I pulled my cluster from an IS250 with navigation but no radar cruise control or lane assist (which is the PCS thing I believe you are talking about).

I did not get any warning lights. You have to get the matching cluster with the proper packages (navigation, radar cruise, lane keep assist) and transmission (6 speed or 8 speed). @whoismiked helped me find mine and knew everything about this swap if you need help.
Old 04-16-22, 09:35 PM
Iampaower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you still programming fsport gauge clusters? Let me know!
Old 12-08-22, 03:56 AM
Bxtaskforc
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bgeims
If you swap your base model gauge for an F-sport gauge, all functions will work IF both gauges are from the same model year. I did the swap awhile ago and re-programmed my mileage.

You cannot simply sell a vehicle that has a discrepancy between the mileage indicated on the dashboard and the actual vehicle mileage. You either have to re-program the mileage to match or deal with paperwork and possible headaches down the road when you want to sell the vehicle. If you do not re-program to match, or take the proper steps when selling the vehicle to disclose the actual mileage, that would be a federal offense.

Additionally, the mileage on the odometer is recorded every time you get your car serviced. Having the correct mileage will aid in easier record keeping if your service center publishes this information online/in a database. Think of CarFax and Lexus Online Service History, those types of databases.

I did it for the peace of mind and because my Lexus Service Rep said they would honor my vehicles warranty only if my new odometer reading matched my actual mileage.

Who did the programming for you on the replacement cluster and how much to reprogram with correct mileage?
Old 12-08-22, 05:42 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

I found someone in Queens, New York from Craigslist who had a tool that was able to reprogram miles but the caveat was (which he didn't tell me until he took my cluster out) that he could not get it to the exact miles I wanted. He said he could do it 'close'. I told him I wanted it exact for the reason above and he got it within 1 mile of my old cluster. You can confirm this when you plug in Toyota techstream and that will show you the actual miles of the car. The odometer can be changed but not the milage saved in the ECU. Just an FYI before you do this.

I paid $100-150 if I remember correctly. Dude was working out of his garage.
Old 05-31-23, 12:12 AM
diyLEXmods
2nd gear

Default Errors with cluster swap

Originally Posted by Sonn
So I did swap a base is250 with a 350 fsport instrument cluster. Everything works, but I get the warning lights turn on every time. Check for vgrs and pcs. I don't know how to remove these error as my car doesn't come with those system.
you can add vgrs really simple by swapping power steering module located underneath the battery with a VARIABLE GEAR RATIO STEERING power steering module (can get one cheap from an old ISF or any modern parts car with VGRS option.. you will have to run the switch through tech stream and calibrate your steering wheel... as for PCS... that is your pre crash system... if you have dynamic cruise control then you have PCS as well... if so, there is a reset button above the throttle pedal as well as a switch to deactivate ride height changes. For $130 i upgraded my IS250 to having real titlt/telescoping steering (powered) with then added the memory position selection button on my drivers door and it was surprisingly easy... many systems are even pre wired and just plugged i to nothing.take a peek behind your vlund spot sensor button (the two rows of buttons by your left knee when driving) i bet you find a few unconnected cables where the option switches would connect... be careful with clusters, you either have to get a new cluster assigned to your vin, or switch the EEPROM chip(think thats what its called) from your old cluster so it believes it is still the same part s# assigned to your cars vin.... messing up can flag your car with possible odometer tampering and jack up the resale value
Old 05-31-23, 12:32 AM
diyLEXmods
2nd gear

Default Lights after cluster swap

Originally Posted by Sonn
So I did swap a base is250 with a 350 fsport instrument cluster. Everything works, but I get the warning lights turn on every time. Check for vgrs and pcs. I don't know how to remove these error as my car doesn't come with those system.
VGRS modules are cheap, snap one off an old ISF or any gen3+ IS with VGRS... its simply a power steering module locaed under the battery which increases power assistance the slower you go and reduces your power steering with higher speeds. It also changes how far you wheels turn comapared to steering wheel turn based on speed. Makes for comfy parking lot/city driving and precision (track "feeling") type driving at high speeds... the replaced module will need to be calibrated through techstream... PCS... thats your pre crash system... if you have one you can reset it with a switch located above the throttle pedal. There is also a ride height change disabler so dont mix them up. If you have radar cruise u have precrash... otherwise, you can always toggle the settings in tech stream to say NO precrash system and switch off the faults... i believe their is even a paper clip trick on the obd2 port to reset fault lights which will works for minor issues or if change your battery and need to wipe some codes.
Old 09-24-23, 04:46 AM
waquidvp
4th Gear

Originally Posted by diyLEXmods
VGRS modules are cheap, snap one off an old ISF or any gen3+ IS with VGRS... its simply a power steering module locaed under the battery which increases power assistance the slower you go and reduces your power steering with higher speeds. It also changes how far you wheels turn comapared to steering wheel turn based on speed. Makes for comfy parking lot/city driving and precision (track "feeling") type driving at high speeds... the replaced module will need to be calibrated through techstream... PCS... thats your pre crash system... if you have one you can reset it with a switch located above the throttle pedal. There is also a ride height change disabler so dont mix them up. If you have radar cruise u have precrash... otherwise, you can always toggle the settings in tech stream to say NO precrash system and switch off the faults... i believe their is even a paper clip trick on the obd2 port to reset fault lights which will works for minor issues or if change your battery and need to wipe some codes.
If your car doesn't have PCS, and have the "Check PCS System" warning in the swapped cluster, has anyone managed to switch it off in Techstream, I can't seem to find an option to configure it. Resetting the codes or disconnecting the battery also doesn't seem to fix it, the PCS option seems to be stored in the gauge cluster memory.