IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Ark exhaust (or cat back exhaust) legal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 08:49 PM
Curlyfries
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ark exhaust (or cat back exhaust) legal?

hello I’m new and just purchased a black on black 2014 IS350 F Sport. I love the car always have and the 3rd gen just got better IMO. Long story short I’ve been browsing through forums to find an answer and couldn’t really find a specific answer (only an RC thread but again vague) I’m also very new to this vehicle coming from a 2009 Honda Civic, 2012 MB C250, and a Honda S2000 which I still own. I don’t know a lot as far as what’s good and bad with this car. I’ve seen joe Z and ark talked about the most by correct me if I’m wrong joe z is an axle back system which I don’t prefer and the ark is a cat back but is it smog legal on the website they say they don’t ship to Cali residents (im in Cali btw) and it removes the cat so it’s not for legal road use. Can someone help clarify that please and thank you. From all the videos I’ve seen I love the sound and from all the reviews I’ve read on here it’s nothing but good things but not much is talked about the smog topic.
Old 01-09-18, 09:06 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are in CA, then an exhaust only has to adhere to CA smog laws if it modifies the emissions system, which is, removes the cat or modifies the cat in any way. If an exhaust system does NOT modify the emissions system at all, like a traditional catback or axle back system, then it does not have to adhere to any smog laws, meaning, it does not need a CARB EO#.

All exhaust systems need to adhere to CA sound dB level laws though, which i can't remember, is like 92 or 93dB measured at a certain distance from the exhaust tip.

Last edited by CLUM; 01-10-18 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 09:59 PM
Curlyfries
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CLUM
If you are in CA, then an exhaust only has to adhere to CA smog laws if it modifies the emissions system, which is, removes the cat or modifies the cat in any way. If an exhaust system does NOT modify the emissions system at all, like a cutback or axle back system, then it does not have to adhere to any smog laws, meaning, it does not need a CARB EO#.

All exhaust systems need to adhere to CA sound dB level laws though, which i can't remember, is like 92 or 93dB measured at a certain distance from the exhaust tip.
So if I wanted to get the ARK exhaust will that eliminate the cat? I had a spec d tuning cat back exhaust on my civic and I had passed smog with it I was hesitate because of the disclaimer on the ark performance site about California residents. I had emailed them asking but I haven’t gotten a reply so I figured I’d ask you guys about it
Old 01-10-18, 06:05 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

No cat back on the 3IS is legal in CA because it does in fact remove a set of cats with the change in mid pipe

JoeZ makes axle back and cat back FYI
Old 01-10-18, 10:09 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

The Ark exhaust does ship to Cali residents. Where in CA are you? We can arrange a local pickup at Ark or an install as well.

Any catback exhaust eliminates the secondary cats on this car.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 01-10-18, 10:42 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Curlyfries
So if I wanted to get the ARK exhaust will that eliminate the cat? I had a spec d tuning cat back exhaust on my civic and I had passed smog with it I was hesitate because of the disclaimer on the ark performance site about California residents. I had emailed them asking but I haven’t gotten a reply so I figured I’d ask you guys about it
since people are saying it removes cat, then No you can't pass smog with it. you need to get an axle back system to be smog legal.
Old 01-10-18, 11:02 AM
Curlyfries
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
The Ark exhaust does ship to Cali residents. Where in CA are you? We can arrange a local pickup at Ark or an install as well.

Any catback exhaust eliminates the secondary cats on this car.

-Josh
Oh ok makes sense I’m located in Santa Ana. Since this is a bolt on when it comes time for smog all I have to do is swap the oem back on right there’s no need to do anything to rest something for smog right i just want to be really careful with this car since it’s a daily
Old 01-10-18, 11:12 AM
matttev
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to get smog checks if your car is less than 6 years old btw. So you have until 2020.

From the DMV website:
Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required.
Old 01-10-18, 12:59 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh ok makes sense I’m located in Santa Ana. Since this is a bolt on when it comes time for smog all I have to do is swap the oem back on right there’s no need to do anything to rest something for smog right i just want to be really careful with this car since it’s a daily
Yes , or you could find a smog place that will look the other way when you are due for a smog check. The car with catback will pass the emissions portion of the test but fail the Visual part of it due to the missing secondary cats. The first portion of the test is based off of the emission sensors on the car which are unaffected by the catback.
Old 01-10-18, 06:50 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Yup! Contact me, lets get you setup for an Ark exhaust!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886