IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

hood and fuel door dont close

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 01:11 PM
jaykibbe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood and fuel door dont close

hi new owner here, I got 2 problems with my 2014 is 250 sport, the hood wont close properly since I put some anti freeze since its -30 degrees celsius here in canada. The first hatch is ok but the 2nd one is not holding the hood down. It looks closed but if you lift it the 1st hatch is still holding it dunno if I make sense lol also the fuel door isn't closing properly aswell. Il try and upload some videos in a bit

thanks
Old 01-06-18, 02:38 PM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaykibbe
hi new owner here, I got 2 problems with my 2014 is 250 sport, the hood wont close properly since I put some anti freeze since its -30 degrees celsius here in canada. The first hatch is ok but the 2nd one is not holding the hood down. It looks closed but if you lift it the 1st hatch is still holding it dunno if I make sense lol also the fuel door isn't closing properly aswell. Il try and upload some videos in a bit

thanks
As far as the fuel door not closing I had the same issue. Couldn't figure out how to fix it so I found the part on ebay for like $40 and just replaced it... wasn't too hard to do
Old 01-06-18, 02:46 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

thanks
Weird you had to add antifreeze, should have been already pre mixed.
Sometimes i find the lanyard that holds the gas cap to the car is positioned in a way that prevents the door from closing properly.
Old 01-06-18, 04:46 PM
Edwin8484
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I’ve had the fuel door not closing on me before and I noticed it was due to the car auto locking my doors and not letting it close all the way propersly. Try hitting lock while on the first click the while in lock mode release the hood and the fuel door. Then unlock before closing. While unlock then close all the way through both clicks. Hope this works
Old 01-06-18, 06:09 PM
jaykibbe
Driver School Candidate

Well I figured out why the hood would not close turns out it is the damn Canadian weather that made the hitch freeze so I put a bit of hot water and olive oil lol (no wd40) this video helped me figure it out
now all is left is that fuel door sigh

@clov3r what was tge piece you got? can you send a link of the part?
@clubluser hmm I tried that one out I dunno what is the cause of this

@edwin8484 can you explain that again I didnt get what you said, for me it closes properly if I push on the door and lock the car at the same time but as soon as I unlock the car the fuel door opens at the same time so im driving with it open.
Old 01-06-18, 07:01 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

@edwin8484 can you explain that again I didnt get what you said, for me it closes properly if I push on the door and lock the car at the same time but as soon as I unlock the car the fuel door opens at the same time so im driving with it open.
The fuel door is linked with the central locking system. If you unlock the door, the fuel door will unlock but not open until to push it to open. What he is saying, is if you lock the door while the fuel door is open, it may not close fully.
Old 01-06-18, 07:42 PM
jaykibbe
Driver School Candidate

hmm I see but for me unfortunatly when I unlock the car the fuel door unlocks and open at the same time for some reason
Old 01-06-18, 08:27 PM
Edwin8484
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

hmm I see but for me unfortunatly when I unlock the car the fuel door unlocks and open at the same time for some reason
The reason why is doing that is because the fuel door was open at some point when you locked the car.Try this: 1. Unlock your car; it will pop open your fuel door right? Good!2. Keep the fuel door open and now lock your car with the fuel door open.3. Attempt to close the fuel lid while the car it locked.4. If it closes then good. Unlock your car and the fuel lid should start working as normal.If it doesn’t try to mess with the locking system on the fuel lid repeating the lock and unlock. I’m sure this is the cause of it popping open when you unlock.