IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Am I crazy? Did I detect a chassis difference driving 2018 IS350-IS300 back to back?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 09:50 AM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, the AVS adjusts the dampers depending on the setting you have it in. Yes, it's stiffer in Sport+ mode and it'll behave differently and ride a little harsher, but in Eco and Normal mode the AVS also adjusts the suspension to make the ride more compliant over bumps (see attachment straight from Lexus' website). I've driven the '16, '17' and '18 IS all non F sport as loaners and I can say the F sport suspension in my 2014 IS350 is more comfortable in eco or normal mode than the more taut suspension in the non F sport.
Attached Thumbnails Am I crazy? Did I detect a chassis difference driving 2018 IS350-IS300 back to back?-screen-shot-2018-01-02-at-12.44.41-pm.png  
Old 01-02-18, 10:04 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by clov3r
Actually, the AVS adjusts the dampers depending on the setting you have it in. Yes, it's stiffer in Sport+ mode and it'll behave differently and ride a little harsher, but in Eco and Normal mode the AVS also adjusts the suspension to make the ride more compliant over bumps (see attachment straight from Lexus' website). I've driven the '16, '17' and '18 IS all non F sport as loaners and I can say the F sport suspension in my 2014 IS350 is more comfortable in eco or normal mode than the more taut suspension in the non F sport.
I personally haven't noticed a difference in Sport vs Sport+ mode ...
Old 01-02-18, 10:12 AM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skiracer
I personally haven't noticed a difference in Sport vs Sport+ mode ...
Apparently Sport mode changes the gear ratios for quicker gear changes and the throttle response is increased so it's more sensitive. Sport+ does the same but also stiffens up the steering and suspension as well. Only time I notice a difference between the two is when I'm carving through some twisties on a back road. I usually leave it in Eco or Normal though since most of my driving is commuting to work, which is highway driving and sitting in traffic.
Old 01-02-18, 10:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Apparently Sport mode changes the gear ratios for quicker gear changes and the throttle response is increased so it's more sensitive. Sport+ does the same but also stiffens up the steering and suspension as well. Only time I notice a difference between the two is when I'm carving through some twisties on a back road. I usually leave it in Eco or Normal though since most of my driving is commuting to work, which is highway driving and sitting in traffic.
Gear ratios are permanent as they're set by the physical gears inside the transmission. I think what you meant to say is that the shifting behavior is changed. Sport will hold gears longer as fuel economy is no longer prioritized. And in addition, one more trait.. I am not 100% sure, but I think that shifting speed is changed too by increased hydraulic line pressure? But that part I'm just guessing.
Old 01-02-18, 10:37 AM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Gear ratios are permanent as they're set by the physical gears inside the transmission. I think what you meant to say is that the shifting behavior is changed. Sport will hold gears longer as fuel economy is no longer prioritized. And in addition, one more trait.. I am not 100% sure, but I think that shifting speed is changed too by increased hydraulic line pressure? But that part I'm just guessing.
Oops... yeah it changes the shift behavior. I don't know if the shifting speed is changed, but it does feel quicker than other modes to me. Honestly, the transmission is the one thing I really hope Lexus changes in the next IS. The gearbox is smooth, and I guess it's quick as far as a traditional torque converter automatic transmission goes, but compared to the dual clutch gearboxes other brands offer the gear changes just don't feel responsive enough anymore.
Old 01-02-18, 01:42 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Oops... yeah it changes the shift behavior. I don't know if the shifting speed is changed, but it does feel quicker than other modes to me. Honestly, the transmission is the one thing I really hope Lexus changes in the next IS. The gearbox is smooth, and I guess it's quick as far as a traditional torque converter automatic transmission goes, but compared to the dual clutch gearboxes other brands offer the gear changes just don't feel responsive enough anymore.
yeah it does feel a bit sluggish at times. I'm sure Lexus will use the 10 speed auto in the next IS. or some variation of it.

Lexus is very conservative and won't change something unless there's a drastic need for it (like turbo engines) so i doubt they would go twin clutch for a very long time as that would take millions of dollars of development and experimentation which would put their brand on the line. and they likely already spent a lot of money developing turbo engines. besides i think the torque converted auto is making a come back. the new 600HP M5 scrapped DCT and went to a traditional TC auto (but highly tuned)

DCT can be choppy.. something lexus customers likely wont appreciate
Old 01-02-18, 02:21 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
We will agree to disagree. I felt the F Sport was noticeably superior especially on a nice canyon road. I tested both versions and it was no contest...F Sport is the only true sports sedan. I also feel the 3.5L is the only version worth getting too as the 2.5L and 2L turbo were underpowered. I hope the next IS comes with at least 350hp with forced induction. Or I'm going S4 or 340
They are 99% the same car. Swapping shocks for some that are (when in sport+ mode) slightly firmer does not catapult your precious "F sport" into a different category of car, sorry.

The IS350 is a compact, firmly suspended, rear-wheel-drive sedan. The seating position is low, and the seats are well-bolstered for cornering. It handles quite well, has good-sized, 4-piston-caliper brakes, and decent power (at high RPM's, anyway). These characteristics make it a sports sedan.

It would be better with more power and a decent (preferably manual) transmission.

The "advantages" of the "F sport" are largely the styling (the "aggressive" grill) and the gimmicky, but arguably inferior, speedometer.

Just curious, did the F and non-F you drove have the exact same rubber?
Old 01-02-18, 02:30 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
yeah it does feel a bit sluggish at times. I'm sure Lexus will use the 10 speed auto in the next IS. or some variation of it.

Lexus is very conservative and won't change something unless there's a drastic need for it (like turbo engines) so i doubt they would go twin clutch for a very long time as that would take millions of dollars of development and experimentation which would put their brand on the line. and they likely already spent a lot of money developing turbo engines. besides i think the torque converted auto is making a come back. the new 600HP M5 scrapped DCT and went to a traditional TC auto (but highly tuned)
Is the 10-speed any better? 8 ratios is plenty. The problem is largely in the software, which is tuned for economy. "Sport" mode helps but doesn't really get it right, either - with this engine, RPM's need to be kept above 3000, for good power.
Old 01-02-18, 02:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
They are 99% the same car. Swapping shocks for some that are (when in sport+ mode) slightly firmer does not catapult your precious "F sport" into a different category of car, sorry.

The IS350 is a compact, firmly suspended, rear-wheel-drive sedan. The seating position is low, and the seats are well-bolstered for cornering. It handles quite well, has good-sized, 4-piston-caliper brakes, and decent power (at high RPM's, anyway). These characteristics make it a sports sedan.

It would be better with more power and a decent (preferably manual) transmission.

The "advantages" of the "F sport" are largely the styling (the "aggressive" grill) and the gimmicky, but arguably inferior, speedometer.

Just curious, did the F and non-F you drove have the exact same rubber?
I never said its completely different but the F Sport is worth getting on the 350. AVS in Sport+ mode gets rid of the annoying bounce i felt on the roads I tested. Let the OP decide on whether the better suspension is worth it. You didnt think it made a difference but I did

You may also feel the digital tach isnt worth it but I felt the non f Sport tach was decidedly archaic. Again, let the OP decide...im just letting him know that F Sport package is completely worth every penny.
Old 01-04-18, 11:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Is the 10-speed any better? 8 ratios is plenty. The problem is largely in the software, which is tuned for economy. "Sport" mode helps but doesn't really get it right, either - with this engine, RPM's need to be kept above 3000, for good power.
3000? I was thinking 4000.

And with the 10-speed, you're also getting a newer, smaller, lighter, faster-shifting transmission. The number of gears is arguably the most minor benefit actually.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I never said its completely different but the F Sport is worth getting on the 350. AVS in Sport+ mode gets rid of the annoying bounce i felt on the roads I tested. Let the OP decide on whether the better suspension is worth it. You didnt think it made a difference but I did

You may also feel the digital tach isnt worth it but I felt the non f Sport tach was decidedly archaic. Again, let the OP decide...im just letting him know that F Sport package is completely worth every penny.
+1, I drove a non F Sport and an F Sport, and there was no way I was going to settle for the analog gauges after seeing the TFT instruments. I kinda wanted the F Sport anyway, but the gauges, red interior, and the seat design sealed it for me. Granted, I don't even have AVS - if it was available on the IS 300 at the time, I would have at least attempted to get mine with AVS!
Old 01-04-18, 12:49 PM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The "advantages" of the "F sport" are... the gimmicky, but arguably inferior, speedometer.
Argue away sir, this should be fun to watch. There is nothing that I know of in the F-Sport tach that makes it worse that the stock one, but I'd love to hear what you think that is. You have the floor.
The following users liked this post:
and3re (01-26-18)
Old 01-05-18, 07:01 PM
997c2
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

OP here...sorry I’ve not been back. I bought the 350 F-Sport and I love it. As I mentioned, I came from a non F-Sport 350 (2014) and I’m jaded (readld) about the NA engine and the greater HP/torque.
My seat of the pants perception seemed to confirm my original thought about the 350 F-Sport for me and a week later I’m really glad I ponied up the extra dough for this car. No rap on the 300, just my 2 cents.
Old 01-05-18, 07:49 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 997c2
OP here...sorry I’ve not been back. I bought the 350 F-Sport and I love it. As I mentioned, I came from a non F-Sport 350 (2014) and I’m jaded (readld) about the NA engine and the greater HP/torque.
My seat of the pants perception seemed to confirm my original thought about the 350 F-Sport for me and a week later I’m really glad I ponied up the extra dough for this car. No rap on the 300, just my 2 cents.
Glad you like the car. The F Sport really makes a difference on the 350 and really wakes her up.
Old 01-23-18, 06:47 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EZZ

I can't believe that so many in here think so. It costs thousands and is mostly cosmetic. I don't think I would have bought the car, if those ridiculous sliding gauges were what it came with. Classic gauges are hard to beat. Opportunities to exploit (the stiffer suspension in) "sport +" mode on the street are rare to nil.
Old 01-23-18, 07:04 PM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't believe that so many in here think so. It costs thousands and is mostly cosmetic. I don't think I would have bought the car, if those ridiculous sliding gauges were what it came with. Classic gauges are hard to beat. Opportunities to exploit (the stiffer suspension in) "sport +" mode on the street are rare to nil.
Really? that gauge costs thousands more?!? aw crud I didn't know all the other stuff the F Sport came with, like a bad *** front grill, seats that don't suck, nice interior trim, red leather, black headliner, sweet rims, aluminum pedals, etc were free!!!
The following users liked this post:
and3re (01-26-18)

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? Did I detect a chassis difference driving 2018 IS350-IS300 back to back?