IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

HELP Car won't start - 14 is250 with 73k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 06:10 AM
dshu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad they finally sorted it out, but that goes to show to never get a car that was in an accident no matter how "minor" it was, it could always have long lasting effects. Let's hope the wiring was the only issue.
Old 01-05-18, 10:42 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

nice! figured. computers don't really go bad.
Old 01-05-18, 11:32 AM
AJU72
Rookie

Yeah me too! They seemed confident about fixing the issue. I'm going to be honest with ya'll, I knew about the accident before I bought the car but fell in love with it. I know I know bad mistake, but the car is gorgeous. Hopefully this solves the problem. It seemed to be running better but could have been my imagination lol
Old 01-05-18, 06:50 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AJU72
UPDATE: Well after a long and drawn out wait due to the holidays, I finally have my baby back! You will all be pleased to know that it didn't turn out to be the ecu. I may have found one of the last honest dealerships in the country!

​​​They ordered me the new ecu and installed it. Turns out it wasn't that, they then traced some more ecu wires in my fenders that were bad. (I imagine that happened during the accident) They replaced some of that wiring and it was fixed good as new!

And here is the best part, they only charged me for the wiring, labor and a new battery! 833 out the door!! So much better than 2500! Now any normal dealership would have just replaced the ecu and the wiring and sent me the bill for 3k. They didn't! And boy am I lucky and happy!
This is common when it comes to fender damage on newer/older cars. Also happens when the plastic wheel wells have been removed on some cars when they are lowered. The wiring tucked underneath becomes brittle after being exposed to the elements of the road. Had this happen to my brother-in-law 240SX and Audi S4. The two cars had major wiring damage under the fenders due to modifications or accident damage.
Always do a through inspection on purchasing a used car under these body panels. Never over look a carfax with just a fender bender mark on it.
Old 01-05-18, 06:51 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah me too! They seemed confident about fixing the issue. I'm going to be honest with ya'll, I knew about the accident before I bought the car but fell in love with it. I know I know bad mistake, but the car is gorgeous. Hopefully this solves the problem. It seemed to be running better but could have been my imagination lol
Glad it was fixed and lexus took care of you. Post a Pic of the new running car.
Old 01-05-18, 10:08 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

UPDATE: Well after a long and drawn out wait due to the holidays, I finally have my baby back! You will all be pleased to know that it didn't turn out to be the ecu. I may have found one of the last honest dealerships in the country!

​​​They ordered me the new ecu and installed it. Turns out it wasn't that, they then traced some more ecu wires in my fenders that were bad. (I imagine that happened during the accident) They replaced some of that wiring and it was fixed good as new!

And here is the best part, they only charged me for the wiring, labor and a new battery! 833 out the door!! So much better than 2500! Now any normal dealership would have just replaced the ecu and the wiring and sent me the bill for 3k. They didn't! And boy am I lucky and happy!
LIKE I SAID.... lol. I STILL want that guy that said it was the ecu to SHOW ME how he got that diagnosis. Looks like he was wrong huh. See why I view things the way I view things now? Nooowwww you know. Run that dvom, back probe certain lengths of wire, do the tests. Take the time to do the WHOLE thing, not part of it. 100%, not 99%. Tell me this then, how did they find that wire? What did they do the 2nd time that they didn't do the first time? See how easy it is to jump to conclusions? This is very common in the field. It's called diagnosis by parts replacement. Don't get caught in that trap lol. I'm very glad they got you squared away. Did they take their ecu back and refund that money?
Old 01-06-18, 05:36 AM
AJU72
Rookie

Originally Posted by jay90011
This is common when it comes to fender damage on newer/older cars. Also happens when the plastic wheel wells have been removed on some cars when they are lowered. The wiring tucked underneath becomes brittle after being exposed to the elements of the road. Had this happen to my brother-in-law 240SX and Audi S4. The two cars had major wiring damage under the fenders due to modifications or accident damage.
Always do a through inspection on purchasing a used car under these body panels. Never over look a carfax with just a fender bender mark on it.
Makes sense, I had an inspection done when I bought the car. The service guy must have missed that when he looked it over.
Old 01-06-18, 05:38 AM
AJU72
Rookie

Originally Posted by jay90011
Glad it was fixed and lexus took care of you. Post a Pic of the new running car.
​​​​​​
Thanks me too! I'll post some pics when I get home. I went on a little weekend getaway, I'll be back on Tuesday.
Old 01-06-18, 05:40 AM
AJU72
Rookie

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
LIKE I SAID.... lol. I STILL want that guy that said it was the ecu to SHOW ME how he got that diagnosis. Looks like he was wrong huh. See why I view things the way I view things now? Nooowwww you know. Run that dvom, back probe certain lengths of wire, do the tests. Take the time to do the WHOLE thing, not part of it. 100%, not 99%. Tell me this then, how did they find that wire? What did they do the 2nd time that they didn't do the first time? See how easy it is to jump to conclusions? This is very common in the field. It's called diagnosis by parts replacement. Don't get caught in that trap lol. I'm very glad they got you squared away. Did they take their ecu back and refund that money?
You were exactly right, I think they were just trying to throw parts at it to fix it. Now I am not sure what they did differently the next time but it seemed to work lol. I think they found the issue through lucky trial and error.
Old 01-06-18, 08:07 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
Well the thought process of easy fix first is standard throughout most industry saves man hours most of the time.
They found out it was wires after the ECU replacement didn't fix it.
If anything everything pointed to the ECU if the wires were damaged, the ECU wouldn't respond correctly.
I wouldn't be so quick to bash their troubleshooting process, what is the failure rate of wires compared to actual components.

I'm an avionics tech and depending on the problem component replacement would be one of the first steps to figuring out failed systems, and then i would spend hours wringing out long lengths of wire for damage if the component didnt fix it. Though i usually have other aircraft to slave in components to test, and do faster troubleshooting.
Old 01-07-18, 06:04 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

If you follow most troubleshooting techniques, sensors, and wire tests follow a path of point to point testing before pointing a finger at the ECU. However, when the ecu tells you its bad internally, thats a show stopper.

The ECU's do their own internal self checks and store codes for these when internal faults exist. If they can talk to the ECU they can see the codes. Some codes are show stoppers and its fate is terminal. That said even if the ECU has no internal errors that is no guarantee the I/O ports are OK and functioning.

I'm just saying some faults are easy to see with the right software. Like a blown out tire vs a slow leak taking weeks to deflate.

Glad you got it sorted.
Old 01-07-18, 06:12 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

If you follow most troubleshooting techniques, sensors, and wire tests follow a path of point to point testing before pointing a finger at the ECU. However, when the ecu tells you its bad internally, thats a show stopper.

The ECU's do their own internal self checks and store codes for these when internal faults exist. If they can talk to the ECU, they can see the codes. Some codes are terminal and its fate is sealed.

That said even if the ECU has no internal errors that is no guarantee the I/O ports are OK and functioning.

I'm just saying some faults are easy to see with the right software. Like a blown out tire vs a slow leak taking weeks to deflate.

Glad you got it sorted.