IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Adding Mark Levinson with Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-17, 10:17 PM
chinjackie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Mark Levinson with Navigation

Hey Everyone I have a 2015 Lexus IS250 F-Sport and would like too know what parts i need to add the Mark Levinson Audio with Navigation in my IS? My IS250 didn't come with ML or Navigation and I would like to add it to my car I ask the dealer but wasn't getting any where with it. Any help would be great.

Last edited by chinjackie; 12-14-17 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Added Year of Car
Old 12-14-17, 11:45 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Too costly to do so...
The following users liked this post:
chinjackie (12-15-17)
Old 12-14-17, 11:50 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Wiring connection are totally different between the two configuration. Besides getting all the pieces to the puzzle, you'd have to swap entire interior wiring harness or make custom sub harness to connect it up
chinjackie (12-15-17)
Old 12-15-17, 12:29 AM
chinjackie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
Wiring connection are totally different between the two configuration. Besides getting all the pieces to the puzzle, you'd have to swap entire interior wiring harness or make custom sub harness to connect it up
I didn' know that they used a different wiring hardness for non and Nav system. But thanks for the info. Now would you know if I can just replace my speakers and subs with the ML ones?
Old 12-15-17, 12:52 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're going to improve the sound, you'd be better off getting some good quality aftermarket speakers and running them through an aftermarket amp. If done right, it will sound better than ML. To top it off, you can replace the original subwoofer with an aftermarket woofer about the same size and running it through a second amp.
The following 2 users liked this post by Raghza:
chinjackie (12-15-17), momak (04-15-20)
Old 12-15-17, 01:01 AM
chinjackie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Raghza
If you're going to improve the sound, you'd be better off getting some good quality aftermarket speakers and running them through an aftermarket amp. If done right, it will sound better than ML. To top it off, you can replace the original subwoofer with an aftermarket woofer about the same size and running it through a second amp.
I would but I still have factory warranty and was going to have Lexus put them in.
Old 12-15-17, 03:03 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm afraid that would be a lot of money for not much improvement, especially if you're just going to replace the speakers and not much else.
I believe there are some good audio installation companies that would do a clean installation, so you should just ask from both parties - the audio company and the dealership, if there's a way to upgrade the audio and keep the warranty.
I can't see that as a big problem though, since you are just installing new speakers and amps. The dealership should keep the warranty and the installation company should give a warranty to the components they install. But definitely communicate beforehand.
chinjackie (01-11-18)
Old 12-15-17, 05:45 AM
staszek84
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Way too much money to convert and not to mention all the sub components you will need in order for the system to function properly. Best bet is to go aftermarket but I would wait until your warranty is up, that way you can avoid any issues that may come up or if you really want these options trade up to an IS which has them if money is not an issue.
Old 12-15-17, 04:03 PM
350InUT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chinjackie
I would but I still have factory warranty and was going to have Lexus put them in.
The dealer is going to rape you on installation costs and not even give you the courtesy of a reach-around. That's after you pay out-the-*** to acquire all the parts, pieces and harnesses (possibly multiple) that you'll need to complete the install. You'll be ahead monetarily if you just trade the car in for one with the ML system.
Old 12-15-17, 04:17 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Don't go to Lexus for this, that like going to Lexus for tyres, go to a GOOD audio shop good luck.
Old 12-15-17, 04:32 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

You cannot just install the ML sound system only.
ML sound typically comes with the Navigation stereo only. You will not find Mark Levinson in non-navigation stereo setup. it does not exist. Unicorns do not exist. If you do find one, show me because I'd like to see.

Lexus dealership wouldn't even attempt this for you. They will just tell you to head to a car audio installation shop.
momak (04-15-20)
Old 12-16-17, 08:53 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Not even worth swapping. You were better off getting the package than building, finding and probably paying 2x more than what it cost to have an IS equipped with the ML/Nav. Dealership is not going to help you swap an ML system into a non ML vehicle.

I would keep an eye on the OEM Audio Plus if you want to retain the factory warranty, http://oemaudioplus.com/lexus/3is/, or go aftermarket.

If you want nav, maybe look into the Beat-Sonic solution, http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if02ep.html.
chinjackie (01-11-18)
Old 12-16-17, 09:56 AM
timcole421
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard the ML system, but am pretty happy with the stock system. Just lacks a little in the lows, which I plan to add a small subwoofer at some point.
Old 12-16-17, 10:15 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by timcole421
I haven't heard the ML system, but am pretty happy with the stock system. Just lacks a little in the lows, which I plan to add a small subwoofer at some point.
I think the stock system is bass heavy. I had to turn the bass down a lot since it was drowning out the mids and highs.

Last edited by MX73; 12-17-17 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 03:13 PM
Lexcuse
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default OEM Audio Plus

OP you should consider the new OEM Audio Plus system. I just did the install and it's totally worth it! I'm about to post a thread about it soon.
chinjackie (01-11-18)

Quick Reply: Adding Mark Levinson with Navigation