IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear Bumper Damaged? (Please Advise)

Old 11-30-17, 12:53 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Rear Bumper Damaged? (Please Advise)

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum/section, but I feel the 3IS has a more active community.

Just last tonight.. I've backed my car into another cars front license plate.. smh. Can't believe this happened to me after so many years of careful driving.

Note, this is not for my Lexus, but for my 2017 Honda Civic (3 months old, SMH!).

My buddies that works at the dealerships says repaint whole bumper. But also advise against it because it will be hard to match the color with the rest of the body.

But, maybe touch up would be enough to cover it fairly well?

Any advice of what approach I should take?

Old 11-30-17, 01:50 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

go to a local automotive paint shop with your paint code and get the OEM paint in a small jar and clear coat paint.

Bondo the hole, sand it down and apply primer.

Find an artsy friend with an air brush and ask if he can blend it. Then ask him to spray on clear coat.

Then color sand it to help smooth it.

There's plenty of writeups on the internet on how to do this.
Old 11-30-17, 04:04 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skiracer
go to a local automotive paint shop with your paint code and get the OEM paint in a small jar and clear coat paint.

Bondo the hole, sand it down and apply primer.

Find an artsy friend with an air brush and ask if he can blend it. Then ask him to spray on clear coat.

Then color sand it to help smooth it.

There's plenty of writeups on the internet on how to do this.
I will be getting OEM paint from the dealership. But, would it also work if I just layered the paint little by little to fill the area, then add a layer of clear coat?

I have no experience with bondo nor sanding. =\
Old 11-30-17, 04:19 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Here's a bondo/paint job i did on my Evo for the first time under a friend's supervision who has experience doing it. It would be best if you're able to spray the paint on. You don't need to go to dealership for the paint, just find an automotive paint shop

You can experiment playing with bondo on a piece of wood or scrap metal to see if you're capable of doing it yourself.

https://www.socalevo.net/threads/125...highlight=gt40

Last edited by skiracer; 11-30-17 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-30-17, 04:31 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a bondo/paint job i did on my Evo for the first time under a friend's supervision who has experience doing it. It would be best if you're able to spray the paint on. You don't need to go to dealership for the paint, just find an automotive paint shop

You can experiment playing with bondo on a piece of wood or scrap metal to see if you're capable of doing it yourself.

https://www.socalevo.net/threads/125...highlight=gt40
I did some reading on bondo, and it seems like it doesn't bond well to plastic?

Well, I have a buddy that works at Honda, he can get me OEM paint for cheap, better to get the right color.
Old 12-01-17, 12:04 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

I did bondo on a metal panel on my car. I'm sure they make something for plastic.

Many years ago, i had a small ding fixed on a bumper at some random car wash that offered the service. I think the fix lasted like 8 years before it showed signs of the patch cracking...
Old 12-01-17, 08:57 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I did bondo on a metal panel on my car. I'm sure they make something for plastic.

Many years ago, i had a small ding fixed on a bumper at some random car wash that offered the service. I think the fix lasted like 8 years before it showed signs of the patch cracking...
Hmm.. to use bondo on such a small area would require a larger working area to blend the paint. I will just try to add layers of touch up and see how it goes. Nothing to lose at this point lmao.
Old 12-04-17, 11:50 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Is there an actual hole, or just chipped paint? If there is no hole, there is no need for bondo.
Touch up paint is not gonna fix that. It will need to be sanded down and blended in again.
Old 12-04-17, 12:37 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 600rr
Is there an actual hole, or just chipped paint? If there is no hole, there is no need for bondo.
Touch up paint is not gonna fix that. It will need to be sanded down and blended in again.
Looks like it had went down to the primer, with slight dent. I know touch up paint won't fix it. But the area is small, I just want to cover it, and hopefully for a 3-5 feet distance it won't be noticeable unless you're looking for it.