Android on 3IS? Here we go....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 09:42 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

And it is finally in my possession!!!!!

Quick unboxing of all the item content.

Look like these are for touchscreen addon option, probably wont be using these for 3IS setup

The other cables and accessories in the kit

The interface module up close

The main Cable

Mines also seem to have Included a 8GB microSD, I inserted into computer and found iGO navigation install files on it. Offline maps. nice little extra they included.

I will try to see if I can find some time to install it this weekend .......

Last edited by specONE; 11-20-17 at 11:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
minhael (11-18-17)
Old 11-17-17, 08:46 AM
Tamy913
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Please keep us updated. Thank you for biting the bullet and being a guinea pig for this item.

Last edited by Tamy913; 11-17-17 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Too many pictures
Old 11-17-17, 10:29 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by Tamy913
Please keep us updated. Thank you for biting the bullet and being a guinea pig for this item.
I sure will keep you all posted.
but was it necessary to quote all my picture post?
Old 11-17-17, 11:06 AM
Tamy913
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
I sure will keep you all posted.
but was it necessary to quote all my picture post?
My bad! Didn't notice that.
Old 11-17-17, 11:54 PM
specONE
Racer

Me wanting to understand how this interfaces with the car I started plotting what wires this harness taps to on the factory harness and compared it to the factory wiring schematics for Navigation equipped cars.

After doing so I was able to walk away with a better understanding and some clarity on how this will work even before actually installing it.

-The Factory Back up camera will work just fine and have no problems switching to original Screen as the reverse wire and back up camera image goes straight to the Display screen. Reverse trigger wire input to the display controls the screen image
-Steering wheel control wires are tapped directly behind the stereo for those to work
-CANBUS signal is tapped behind the stereo so that it understands when it switches to AUX mode to take over the screen, plus possibly integrating with touchscreen controls on the other Lexus with touchscreen.
-The Remote Touch Joystick/touchpad in Lexus, the signal is is intercepted by the Module when the AUX mode is triggered so Android can use the Joystick. When the screen is on any other factory, the Remote touch wires are pass-through.
-Factory Microphone wires are intercepted so no additional microphone needs to be mounted
-12v Power, Accessory and Ground powers the interface module (nothing special here, Pretty normal)
-Audio is inputted into the factory stereo via the Auxiliary wiring. judging by inspecting the wiring up close, the Female plug of the supplied harness is missing the wires coming from the Auxiliary port in the car. Looks like that will be lost with installation of this module. I wonder they probably did this maybe so there would not be any back feed audio? Or maybe Other market vehicles such as in Asia do not have this Auxiliary port in general so they didn't worry about keeping it still working?
- Everything else factory about the vehicle should remain working as it does currently, i.e. USB, Radio, XM, OEM navigation etc...

Here are my notes i jotted down when tracing wiring on the plug the supplied interface cable tapped to:
The GREEN Highlights are all the spots the Interface Module goes to.
The Handwriting is what each of these pin location does/is

And the Factory wiring schematics for our 3IS Navigation system (2014-2016 year models) if anybody was interested in digging into it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-a...qUqOo-XFwzvQTg

I will try to get a hold of 2017+ 3IS with the Wider big screen wiring schematics and see how much different it is. I have a feeling wiring will be in all the same locations (think 4RX with the wide screen, since this same kit is supposedly compatible with that model as well)

Last edited by specONE; 01-04-22 at 05:15 PM.
Matroushi (11-18-17)
Old 11-18-17, 02:20 AM
levchik77
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Please make video of working this system after installaion.
Will it work with **** ?
Old 11-18-17, 05:19 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Bro you are the man! I am dying to see this in operation..

How much did the unit cost?
Old 11-18-17, 07:38 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by levchik77
Please make video of working this system after installaion.
Will it work with **** ?
yes I will video it of course.
I read that they have version with non navigation car with the ****. Not sure how to fully use the system with **** selection. Someone else will have to be the guinea pig on that one after I give this one a run through

Originally Posted by brendanf
Bro you are the man! I am dying to see this in operation..

How much did the unit cost?
$480 is the retail on it.
Old 11-18-17, 12:40 PM
levchik77
Rookie

yes I will video it of course.
I read that they have version with non navigation car with the ****. Not sure how to fully use the system with **** selection. Someone else will have to be the guinea pig on that one after I give this one a run through
$480 is the retail on it.
Please test 360 degrees camera.
I see that thay have kn0b control https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/LVDS-...999.265.Vnr4fz
Old 11-18-17, 02:50 PM
specONE
Racer

Please test 360 degrees camera.
I see that thay have kn0b control https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/LVDS-...999.265.Vnr4fz
I did not purchase add-on 360 camera.

Yes they have **** (non-navi) version, someone else will have to take the plunge and try as I have navigation car
Old 11-19-17, 12:50 AM
levchik77
Rookie

I did not purchase add-on 360 camera.

Yes they have **** (non-navi) version, someone else will have to take the plunge and try as I have navigation car
Is your screen sensitive? Is it need just to put on touch cable?
Old 11-19-17, 08:20 AM
specONE
Racer

Is your screen sensitive? Is it need just to put on touch cable?
I don't understand what you are saying.

I did not get the add-on touchscreen option.
It is additional touchscreen overlay you have to install on front of the display. I feel like it's not worth it because of how far you have to reach to touch the screen some in the IS it is too high and far ahead
Old 11-21-17, 10:49 PM
specONE
Racer

So I want to give you guys a Update.
I finally have made some time to install it this evening after work.

SOOOO...here are my findings.
I do NOT recommend anybody buy this just YET!
I am currently impressed by it but there are some major roadblocks with this in a 2014-2016 vehicle.
Lets just say I am about 75% impressed with it.
The Good thing is that I am in direct contact with someone there and working with the Engineering team to figure out what is going on with it. I will keep you guys posted on it.

Basically the key issue is that:
-The Mouse control although works to navigation onscreen, it has a mind of its own at times and moving. While trying to type on the on-screen keyboard it is a bit hard since the joystick is fighting you from moving the direction you wish to go in.
This a deal breaker for me at the moment. Hopefully it is just a software fix needed, Working with them on this.

Some other things that need attention but its more of extra but these are more of suggestions (i would make to them to enhance usability for end-user, but first i want them to fix the joystick mouse control):
-The track control on the steering wheel only works for the built in music player that plays off the USB and sd card storage. It does not pass this through to Android music apps, which i was planning to use. i.e. Google music track control from steering wheel do nothing.
-The stereo Track control does nothing.
-The UP and DOWN button near the joystick does nothing.
-The MENU button on the joystick seems to be a "back" button? not for sure because it doesn't always behave as intended.
-The HOME button near the joystick is also a "back" button for their GUI? Wish it actually took you all the way to their home Launcher instead.

The GOOD so far that I can tell:
-Back up camera works well every time to switch over. Nice and quick with no delays.
-The use of the OEM microphone is very well, I used it to do a search for the app instead of trying to type on the on-screen keyboard and it heard me easily without me having to yell.
-Plug and play harness, nice to not need to do any wire splicing anywhere

Here are some photos and videos to wet your appetite.
More will follow

Last edited by specONE; 11-28-17 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-22-17, 05:51 AM
timcole421
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a heads up for those clamoring for android auto.....Android Auto is an awesome system, on paper. In practice it is a buggy, laggy, frustrating experience. Crashes several times a day on long trips and makes life miserable. I came from a 2016 Honda which was AA equipped and quite frankly, the AA system had a lot to do with me selling the car and moving on. Different phones did not solve the issues. Numerous updates do not solve the issues. At this point in technology, phones and the current iteration of android auto units simply do not play well together. I logged almost 70k miles in under 2 years on the system and couldn't deal with it anymore. Now, if you drive a normal 12-15k miles a year, the buggy messes may not aggravate you as much. But 8-12 hour days behind the wheel and the average day had you pissed off within a couple hours. While I feel the current lexus system is a bit limited in features and out-dated, I would not trade it for AA. I bought a CD slot magnetic mount for my phone and use waze for navigation. The current waze has spotify integrated into it.....and the steering wheel controls work for skipping tracks. Works for me. I also use the factory navigation at the same time as both gps systems offer and display different bits of information that I find useful.

Last edited by timcole421; 11-22-17 at 05:56 AM.
Old 11-22-17, 06:24 AM
specONE
Racer

@timcole421 this is not "Android Auto"
This is a interface module that is giving you full Android OS system using the factory controls and display. You can download any app you wish just like your typical Android device and not be locked out like how Android Auto is
and3re (02-02-18)

Quick Reply: Android on 3IS? Here we go....