IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Should my car be considered totaled?

Old 11-05-17, 08:35 PM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dchar
Like specONE said...use your own insurance and they will go after at-fault insurance. This will speed up the process and ensure you will get your car fixed without shortcuts and with new OEM parts. Now if you need a rental car, hopefully you bought that coverage on your insurance or you’ll have to go after the insurance yourself for a rental car.

On the back half, I see at least $10-15K in damages...so with front damage, axel, frame, suspension, and wheel issues...probably looking at at least $20-30K in total damages. They will probably end up repainting almost your whole car in order for the paint to match, and that will cost quite a bit. Hopefully your insurance will consider it totaled...it’ll never feel the same.
I have full coverage so my insurance will cover everything from rental to car repairs/total loss for me. But I spoke to an adjuster from my insurance and he said I could file a claim with them if they are not able to get the full amount they paid for my claim from geico, it would look like a loss on my insurance record when they are looking during renewal and my rates may go up. Even if i wasn't at fault - I am in California where they cannot raise rates for not at fault claims but the insurance may find other factors to raise it.

Geico - his insurance - already put me in the rental car. I've already met with the adjuster once and am meeting with him again tomorrow. Am I able to seize my claim with them if I decide to go with my insurance? Am I able to require geico or hold them liable for not using oem parts like I requested?

Last edited by peanut93; 11-05-17 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-05-17, 09:20 PM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Like specONE said...use your own insurance and they will go after at-fault insurance. This will speed up the process and ensure you will get your car fixed without shortcuts and with new OEM parts. Now if you need a rental car, hopefully you bought that coverage on your insurance or you’ll have to go after the insurance yourself for a rental car.

On the back half, I see at least $10-15K in damages...so with front damage, axel, frame, suspension, and wheel issues...probably looking at at least $20-30K in total damages. They will probably end up repainting almost your whole car in order for the paint to match, and that will cost quite a bit. Hopefully your insurance will consider it totaled...it’ll never feel the same.
I work in the auto insurance industry. You can tell a GEICO adjuster whatever you want and deal with their "preferred" shops until you are blue in the face. If I had a GEICO customer slam me, I would immediately contact my own insurance company. GEICO is the low cost, no frills company and they definitely flex their significant muscle on 3rd party claims. Get your insurance company to do it right and claw it back (a process called subrogation), IMO.
Old 11-05-17, 09:42 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you need to hire a lawyer for this case? when i had my car totaled. i hired a lawyer to sue the driver as much as i could. he totaled my 2003 toyota matrix, and i got around 10k as settlement from their insurance for my car. also other compensations like injuries, car rental fee, missing work days. the at fault driver fled the country before my lawyer get a chance to discuss our settlements. i could of got more from them if they were still in the country.
Old 11-05-17, 09:45 PM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lawyer is gonna burn you 250-350 hour. I wouldn't go that route if you don't need to.
Old 11-06-17, 12:20 AM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by schur
I work in the auto insurance industry. You can tell a GEICO adjuster whatever you want and deal with their "preferred" shops until you are blue in the face. If I had a GEICO customer slam me, I would immediately contact my own insurance company. GEICO is the low cost, no frills company and they definitely flex their significant muscle on 3rd party claims. Get your insurance company to do it right and claw it back (a process called subrogation), IMO.
so I should just bite the bullet and have my rate potentially go up?
Old 11-06-17, 12:45 AM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UngBuck
do you need to hire a lawyer for this case? when i had my car totaled. i hired a lawyer to sue the driver as much as i could. he totaled my 2003 toyota matrix, and i got around 10k as settlement from their insurance for my car. also other compensations like injuries, car rental fee, missing work days. the at fault driver fled the country before my lawyer get a chance to discuss our settlements. i could of got more from them if they were still in the country.
My biggest worry is that his insurance will keep the cost of repairs low by overlooking certain damage(s) because the value of my car is still relatively high. Hiring a lawyer does sound like a beneficial thing to do here but like they've said, it's a high cost. Did you find the lawyer to be costly?
The following users liked this post:
rueshan (02-24-23)
Old 11-06-17, 02:59 AM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut93
My biggest worry is that his insurance will keep the cost of repairs low by overlooking certain damage(s) because the value of my car is still relatively high. Hiring a lawyer does sound like a beneficial thing to do here but like they've said, it's a high cost. Did you find the lawyer to be costly?
yes, i was looking around for a good lawyer and they all offer me 15% of my cut. luckily my friend's dad was a 15yrs+ lawyer and he gave me a discount. He offer 10% from the settlements while other lawyers wanted 15%. you should find a good/affordable lawyer to help you milk the insurance company. also you dont have to worry about anything, your lawyer will do all the works. you might have to go to court if the at fault driver wants to defend at court. this is 100% not your fault, so you shouldn't worry about losing. if you lost, you don't have to pay the lawyer. lawyers doesn't charge you until you win/close the case.

Last edited by UngBuck; 11-06-17 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-06-17, 03:28 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut93
I have full coverage so my insurance will cover everything from rental to car repairs/total loss for me. But I spoke to an adjuster from my insurance and he said I could file a claim with them if they are not able to get the full amount they paid for my claim from geico, it would look like a loss on my insurance record when they are looking during renewal and my rates may go up. Even if i wasn't at fault - I am in California where they cannot raise rates for not at fault claims but the insurance may find other factors to raise it.

Geico - his insurance - already put me in the rental car. I've already met with the adjuster once and am meeting with him again tomorrow. Am I able to seize my claim with them if I decide to go with my insurance? Am I able to require geico or hold them liable for not using oem parts like I requested?
What insurance do you have? My insurance has never even mentioned that they would raise my rates if they don’t get their money back. They said they would keep going after the at-fault party’s insurance until the full amount is recouped and go after the person if they didn’t buy enough coverage. Why would they raise your rates based on an accident that wasn’t your fault? Do they want to lose a customer just because they can’t do their job? Insurance companies can lawyer up to recoup their cost and that cost shouldn’t be passed onto you. One of my past cars was involved in an accident where a person slammed into the car parked behind mine, which had an unbuckled old lady inside that was hospitalized. The car parked behind mine was totaled and the at-fault party didn’t buy enough coverage for the entire accident. My car had over $10K in damages. That’s when I learned about going through my own insurance and the info I stated above is what they told me.
Old 11-06-17, 06:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

What insurance do you have? My insurance has never even mentioned that they would raise my rates if they don’t get their money back. They said they would keep going after the at-fault party’s insurance until the full amount is recouped and go after the person if they didn’t buy enough coverage. Why would they raise your rates based on an accident that wasn’t your fault? Do they want to lose a customer just because they can’t do their job? Insurance companies can lawyer up to recoup their cost and that cost shouldn’t be passed onto you. One of my past cars was involved in an accident where a person slammed into the car parked behind mine, which had an unbuckled old lady inside that was hospitalized. The car parked behind mine was totaled and the at-fault party didn’t buy enough coverage for the entire accident. My car had over $10K in damages. That’s when I learned about going through my own insurance and the info I stated above is what they told me.
I agree. My insurance has never done that to me. I’d switch if my insurance even suggested that. Also ask for diminished value as you’re cars value has taken a nosedive now.
Old 11-06-17, 08:53 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know how it is in CA, but you in no way should be dealing with the other party's insurance directly. You should be dealing with yours. Here in the US your insurance should NOT go up for a not at fault accident. You are basically leaving your insurance out of it and possibly any protection you are entitled to. Let your insurance deal with it.
Old 11-06-17, 09:58 AM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have full coverage (assume you did), ALWAYS, ALWAYS use your own insurance. They will take care of you because you are their customer. Your insurance will take care of you at the expense of the other party's insurance.
Don't even talk to the other party's insurance. They will try every way to save every penny on the repair.
My 2014 Matrix XR got total by my insurance given very little damage visually. The problem was the other car (Honda Civic 2000) rear ended me at the right rear bumper (right spot and just enough force) to cause the crumple zone of the frame to bend a little. At first I don't think any thing major, by my insurance adjuster said that the car was total and I ask him why, he show me the crumple portion of the frame which is about 1/8 of an inch.
You may have to take a look at that area.

Oh I forgot to mention that the other guy try to run but I had witnesses and non of them get full license plate number. My insurance said that I have to pay for the deductible at first, but he was able to piece together and contact the other person insurance to have them pay for the damage. I don't know how he did it with just partial place number, year/make/model/color.

Last edited by MatrixPC; 11-06-17 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-06-17, 04:39 PM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MatrixPC
If you have full coverage (assume you did), ALWAYS, ALWAYS use your own insurance. They will take care of you because you are their customer. Your insurance will take care of you at the expense of the other party's insurance.
Don't even talk to the other party's insurance. They will try every way to save every penny on the repair.
My 2014 Matrix XR got total by my insurance given very little damage visually. The problem was the other car (Honda Civic 2000) rear ended me at the right rear bumper (right spot and just enough force) to cause the crumple zone of the frame to bend a little. At first I don't think any thing major, by my insurance adjuster said that the car was total and I ask him why, he show me the crumple portion of the frame which is about 1/8 of an inch.
You may have to take a look at that area.

Oh I forgot to mention that the other guy try to run but I had witnesses and non of them get full license plate number. My insurance said that I have to pay for the deductible at first, but he was able to piece together and contact the other person insurance to have them pay for the damage. I don't know how he did it with just partial place number, year/make/model/color.
so are you saying that your insurance was essentially the middle man? Your insurance paid you and got the money from back from his insurance? Or your insurance told their insurance what to pay?
Old 11-06-17, 08:03 PM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not believe your car is damaged enough to be totaled. I had similar damages to a more expensive vehicle and that looks to be about $12k worth of damage if the "frame" isn't damaged.
Old 11-06-17, 11:45 PM
Arrin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to say... I was in a similar dilemma ..
I have a 2016 IS350 and about 6 months in, girl spins out in front of me on highway and ends up smashing into my side fender, causing $12k total in damages (fender, wheel, steering tie rod/suspension hub assembly, headlight, door shell, etc). I assume the damage wasn't bad enough for my vehicle to be written off, especially with it being only 6 months old.
I live in Ontario, Canada and insurance tried to pin me at fault but I had to clarify with my adjuster that the girl slid into me instead of me failing to stop and smashed into her like they initially understood from my statement. All repairs and rental costs were covered by my insurance company.
So it comes to how old your car is/what it's currently worth and would it be worth it to go ahead with the repairs.. get them to confirm that there's no damage to the frame.

Attached is a picture of what my car looked like after my accident:

Old 11-07-17, 12:24 PM
peanut93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arrin
Hard to say... I was in a similar dilemma ..
I have a 2016 IS350 and about 6 months in, girl spins out in front of me on highway and ends up smashing into my side fender, causing $12k total in damages (fender, wheel, steering tie rod/suspension hub assembly, headlight, door shell, etc). I assume the damage wasn't bad enough for my vehicle to be written off, especially with it being only 6 months old.
I live in Ontario, Canada and insurance tried to pin me at fault but I had to clarify with my adjuster that the girl slid into me instead of me failing to stop and smashed into her like they initially understood from my statement. All repairs and rental costs were covered by my insurance company.
So it comes to how old your car is/what it's currently worth and would it be worth it to go ahead with the repairs.. get them to confirm that there's no damage to the frame.

Attached is a picture of what my car looked like after my accident:

Oh wow, very similar to mine. How does your car drive now?? Any issues??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should my car be considered totaled?