IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus New Vehicle Warranty - Maintenance Mandatory?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17, 08:03 AM
Arrin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus New Vehicle Warranty - Maintenance Mandatory?

Hey guys, not a huge car guy so please take it easy on me 😂

I leased a brand new 2016 IS350 last year and have gone to every maintenance up until the most recent one, where I missed it due to them not setting a reminder in my vehicle/calling me like they usually did.

Upon looking up the maintenance schedule for my exact vehicle on their site, all of the maintenance are "factory recommended" and don't state mandatory.

Now, I do make sure to go to the ones involving oil changing (even thought about going elsewhere/doing changes myself), but when it comes to the other ones that just consist of mostly visual inspection, tire rotation, etc, should I be going to those ones too?

Any negative impact on myself if I missed a few maintenances over the years? Such as voiding warranties, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-17, 08:10 AM
juanaguirr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Arrin,

I leased a 2016 Is200T a year ago and I went through a friend of mine who owns a autobroker company. He stated that Lexus provides two complimentary services. Lexus will tell you to bring it in every 5K miles for services but my friend advised if you take it every 10k, which is when you need to for an oil change, you should be fine. Every 5k miles check up is for fluid refill, that you can do yourself if you know how to!

Hopefully that helps!

have a great weekend
The following users liked this post:
Arrin (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 09:27 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

U SHOULD do all maintenance that involves an oil change and you need to keep receipts as proof it was done in case of warranty claims.

I.E. if your engine breaks and if the oil looks like this, don't expect Lexus to honor the warranty.

Arrin (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 02:15 PM
Arrin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juanaguirr
Hi Arrin,

I leased a 2016 Is200T a year ago and I went through a friend of mine who owns a autobroker company. He stated that Lexus provides two complimentary services. Lexus will tell you to bring it in every 5K miles for services but my friend advised if you take it every 10k, which is when you need to for an oil change, you should be fine. Every 5k miles check up is for fluid refill, that you can do yourself if you know how to!

Hopefully that helps!

have a great weekend
Yeah that's what I thought about doing because the maintenances that involve oil change also consist of inspecting and refilling the different fluids, adjustments, etc. Oil change maintenances are every second service.. so I would be ok if I skipped every odd one then.

Originally Posted by skiracer
U SHOULD do all maintenance that involves an oil change and you need to keep receipts as proof it was done in case of warranty claims.

I.E. if your engine breaks and if the oil looks like this, don't expect Lexus to honor the warranty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtEQxh019lA
Yup that was what I said in the original post, I'm doing all the maintenances involving oil change at the dealer , but the other ones only consist of like floor mat adjustments, wheel rotation, engine/ cabin air filter etc.... I don't feel like they're necessary. So I should be good if i just went every maintenance that involves oil changes and skipped the other ones ya?
Old 11-02-17, 02:28 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Ya i don't think not changing the air filters are going to void the warranty :P
Arrin (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 03:33 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrin
Yeah that's what I thought about doing because the maintenances that involve oil change also consist of inspecting and refilling the different fluids, adjustments, etc. Oil change maintenances are every second service.. so I would be ok if I skipped every odd one then.

Yup that was what I said in the original post, I'm doing all the maintenances involving oil change at the dealer , but the other ones only consist of like floor mat adjustments, wheel rotation, engine/ cabin air filter etc.... I don't feel like they're necessary. So I should be good if i just went every maintenance that involves oil changes and skipped the other ones ya?
Warranty-wise, you should be fine. However, I feel the odd ones are pretty easy to do and shouldn't be skipped, ideally. You could just do them yourself, except maybe tire rotation if applicable, if you really don't want to spend the money on having someone do it for you.
Arrin (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 06:37 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

After the free 5K and 10K services, just take it in at 10K mile intervals. Those are the ones where major maintenance items are changed like oil, oil filter, air filters, etc. The 5K ones between really are just inspections and tire rotations. I have leased a few Lexus already and they didn't mind me skipping those in-between services; no warranty issues either. They are a total waste if you have staggered wheels and can't even rotate tires...it would be a very expensive car wash and snack.
Arrin (11-02-17)
Old 11-02-17, 09:23 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by dchar
After the free 5K and 10K services, just take it in at 10K mile intervals. Those are the ones where major maintenance items are changed like oil, oil filter, air filters, etc. The 5K ones between really are just inspections and tire rotations. I have leased a few Lexus already and they didn't mind me skipping those in-between services; no warranty issues either. They are a total waste if you have staggered wheels and can't even rotate tires...it would be a very expensive car wash and snack.
dchar, don't i see u hanging out in the RX forums?

I always wondered what i do with tire rotations on a car with a staggered wheel setup.... So basically, don't bother rotating at all even if you have tires that are directionless?

I guess you can always have the tires removed from the rims and flipped, but that's a PITA.
Old 11-04-17, 09:56 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
dchar, don't i see u hanging out in the RX forums?

I always wondered what i do with tire rotations on a car with a staggered wheel setup.... So basically, don't bother rotating at all even if you have tires that are directionless?

I guess you can always have the tires removed from the rims and flipped, but that's a PITA.
I'm everywhere 👽

Rotating the tires would be pointless on a staggered wheel setup. I haven't seen my left and right tires wear at noticeably different rates.