IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus F Sport Instrument Cluster Lens Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 11:40 AM
snabbledab
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus F Sport Instrument Cluster Lens Replacement

Hi everyone, the glass on f sport instrument clusters are very soft and thus scratch even with the lightest microfiber. I've seen that multiple people have gotten their instrument cluster replaced by the dealership and I was wondering how you've all been able to do this. I'm located in Southern California and my instrument cluster has been scratched since the day I purchased it used. Every time I even try to bring it up, they say that it is a normal wear and tear item. I would replace it myself as the part is only 37$, but I'm worried that I might mess something up. If you guys have any tips I would really appreciate it
Old 10-30-17, 12:07 PM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I've used this in the past with great success. Try on a small area first.

Amazon Amazon

DO NOT use on the MFD screen. It has a AR coating on it.
Old 10-30-17, 02:53 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by snabbledab
Hi everyone, the glass on f sport instrument clusters are very soft and thus scratch even with the lightest microfiber. I've seen that multiple people have gotten their instrument cluster replaced by the dealership and I was wondering how you've all been able to do this. I'm located in Southern California and my instrument cluster has been scratched since the day I purchased it used. Every time I even try to bring it up, they say that it is a normal wear and tear item. I would replace it myself as the part is only 37$, but I'm worried that I might mess something up. If you guys have any tips I would really appreciate it
I told them I was really unsatisfied and unhappy with the way the screen gets scratched so easily and they replaced it as a courtesy. I'd try another dealer for service and complain to them about it and see what they do.
Old 10-30-17, 03:15 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I told them I was really unsatisfied and unhappy with the way the screen gets scratched so easily and they replaced it as a courtesy. I'd try another dealer for service and complain to them about it and see what they do.
can I ask what dealer you went to?
Old 10-30-17, 03:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

can I ask what dealer you went to?
Check your PM.
Old 10-30-17, 11:40 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What? The instrument cluster glass is also prone to scratches? I thought it was just the coating on the nav screen...
Now there's one more thing to be extra careful about.
Old 11-01-17, 09:02 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghza
What? The instrument cluster glass is also prone to scratches? I thought it was just the coating on the nav screen...
It scratches horribly. I used Novus yesterday. What kind of cleaning cloth should be used on this?
Old 11-01-17, 09:36 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm thinking of getting mine polished clean, than clear film it just like you would on a smart phone or tablet
Old 11-01-17, 09:50 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

You have to be careful when cleaning the plastic in front of the instrument cluster for ANY car since they scratch very easily.
Old 11-01-17, 09:52 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

anything made of clear plastic will scratch, it's just the way it is no matter what it is... plastics scratch, even head lights
Old 11-01-17, 11:45 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh okay, I thought that it's something like the nav screen that you should not touch at all or you will get scratches on the anti-glare coating.
Old 11-07-17, 12:41 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here! We are vendors on the site and get asked this question a lot! Check out the blog post here for tips: https://blog.taninautoelectronix.com...ument-cluster/ Spoiler Alert- Usually the culprit is Windex!

We also have a master tech coming out to San Diego in Nov. and Dec. so if we can be of service in person, give us a call at 262-456-4147 to schedule any repairs you may need. We are doing needle repair, cluster rebuilds, lighting etc. and we can also bring out replacement parts for DIY sales!

Let us know if we can be of assistance in any way.
www.taninautoelectronix.com