IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Costco Steel Winter wheels

Old 10-21-17, 04:39 AM
jheyden
9th Gear

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Costco Steel Winter wheels

Own a 2017 IS300 AWD Fsport here in Canada. Was originally going to buy a square 17 inch setup but found a deal locally on some gently used 18 inch staggered winter (tires only). I don't want to have to pay to switch the rim everytime so would like to purchase some cost effective steels that fit over the big brakes. Does anyone know if the generic costco black steels(18 inch ones) fit over the big brakes?

Thanks
Old 10-21-17, 07:55 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

It would be possible to find steel wheels that will fit over the big brakes.
I'm not sure on the specs of the Costco ones, but a lower offset than stock will help assure it fits.
Also, I recommend not getting bored rims...meaning the center hub hole is bored oversize so that it will basically fit on anything with the same bolt pattern.
This is not ideal at all, you want ones that have the 60.1mm bore that natches the hub perfectly.
Old 10-21-17, 08:16 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jheyden
Own a 2017 IS300 AWD Fsport here in Canada. Was originally going to buy a square 17 inch setup but found a deal locally on some gently used 18 inch staggered winter (tires only). I don't want to have to pay to switch the rim everytime so would like to purchase some cost effective steels that fit over the big brakes. Does anyone know if the generic costco black steels(18 inch ones) fit over the big brakes?

Thanks
Hello Ontario Fella ! Ive been driven in Ontario winter weather for 2 decades never had winter tires but with Front Wheel Drive, you have AWD why you want winter tires the law here don't require ? get a set of ALL SEASON you're good to go. I drove 2 winters with SUmmer tires on my Toyota Solara before.
Old 10-21-17, 08:45 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

It is very unlikely you will find steels that will clear the front brakes. Get some good quality aftermarket alloys. RWC makes very nice OEM replicas at a fraction of the cost. Remember in Canada, those winter tires could be on as long as 6 months of the year so why make your new IS look ugly with black steelies.

@Solara350, not saying it's not possible to get around without winter tires but if you've never experienced them, you're missing out. AWD doesn't help very much when you're headed towards the ditch. Tires help with stopping, which is arguably more important.
The following users liked this post:
jeanmario (11-04-17)
Old 10-21-17, 08:45 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Solara350
Hello Ontario Fella ! Ive been driven in Ontario winter weather for 2 decades never had winter tires but with Front Wheel Drive, you have AWD why you want winter tires the law here don't require ? get a set of ALL SEASON you're good to go. I drove 2 winters with SUmmer tires on my Toyota Solara before.
It might help to know where in Ontario the OP lives. They could live in Thunder Bay, in which case they will never get anywhere without winter tires.
And you're right, it's not the law...yet! But it could be a couple years away.
Old 10-21-17, 08:50 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
It might help to know where in Ontario the OP lives. They could live in Thunder Bay, in which case they will never get anywhere without winter tires.
everyday I go home and pass by Richmond Hills ive seen you once on highway 7 , come out and have a Ten-Ren tea bro, the girls in their are cute hahaha Congee Queen close by too

They will implement that law in Ontario ? no way lol, I hate Icy road but I love it when its snow a lot, I had fun drifting and Revving bro lol (whats crazy about me is, people turns on TRACTION CONTROL when its snow, I TURN OFF TRACTION CONTROL

Last edited by Solara350; 10-21-17 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 08:51 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
The guy is trying to get the proper wheels and tires for the snowy conditions. Obviously his own safety and safety of others on the road is very important to him. if you like to go drifting in the snow and possibly crash your car, bend the wheels and suspension components then run those summer tires during winter time... but if you want to stay safe.. keep those tires for the summer and replace them with winter ones.
Remember that tread pattern on the tires is what keeps your car on the road and you (and your passengers and other motorists on the roadways) alive. Also those things turn into hockey pucks in anything under 4 deg Celsius.
Without proper tires your vehicle doesn't have the grip needed to safely maneuver the streets and highways - not to mention your stopping distance is increased immensely.
Aside from the safety aspect, if you are involved in a collision, the police will inspect your tires to ensure you are using proper tires, failing to have proper tires in winter could result in civil liability and penal code charges....
Some of the worst offenders are people who save a few hundred bucks and use summer tires year round. I think all seasons should at best be used spring, summer, fall - on the nicer roads, but as I said earlier, I strongly urge you to get a good set of winter tires.

Old 10-21-17, 09:00 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

LOL...funny video!!
Old 10-21-17, 09:08 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by primavera
The guy is trying to get the proper wheels and tires for the snowy conditions. Obviously his own safety and safety of others on the road is very important to him. if you like to go drifting in the snow and possibly crash your car, bend the wheels and suspension components then run those summer tires during winter time... but if you want to stay safe.. keep those tires for the summer and replace them with winter ones.
Remember that tread pattern on the tires is what keeps your car on the road and you (and your passengers and other motorists on the roadways) alive. Also those things turn into hockey pucks in anything under 4 deg Celsius.
Without proper tires your vehicle doesn't have the grip needed to safely maneuver the streets and highways - not to mention your stopping distance is increased immensely.
Aside from the safety aspect, if you are involved in a collision, the police will inspect your tires to ensure you are using proper tires, failing to have proper tires in winter could result in civil liability and penal code charges....
Some of the worst offenders are people who save a few hundred bucks and use summer tires year round. I think all seasons should at best be used spring, summer, fall - on the nicer roads, but as I said earlier, I strongly urge you to get a good set of winter tires.
our province does not require winter tires, winter tires only effects your insurance rate since Toronto GTA don't snow much nowadays unless the law state you'll get penalty otherwise everyone the same, Winter tires only effect on snow when you STOP and START it helps your car contacted to the road, WHEN YOU IN ICY ROAD even winter tires has no EFFECT, you can ask Tires Engineer, when its black ice it does not afraid of whatever tires you have, so Suspension Engineers are smart THEY CREATED TRACTION CONTROL and ABS for the car, Traction control and VSA are the one WILL help your car (ABS helps more) not TIRES, You're right winter tires helps brake distance in snows but You don't drive like Fast n Furious with such weather right bro ? the old say if you see SNOW you go SLOW and DRIFT man I like joking around like a kid in reality driving in snow require skills and speed control not TIRES bro, you can research for how many accident with winter tires and without winter tires a lot of Ontarian joint Clublexus eh

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-22-17 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Remove racist slang
Old 10-22-17, 06:35 AM
jheyden
9th Gear

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Ottawa so quite a bit of snow here. The Costco steels according to the fitment guide are Hub-centric so hopefully they will the correct offset. The price is around 84$ each wheel so that's quite a bit cheaper than the closest RWC better looking one.(don't really care how it looks in the winter)
Old 10-22-17, 06:46 AM
Solara350
Instructor

I'm in Ottawa so quite a bit of snow here. The Costco steels according to the fitment guide are Hub-centric so hopefully they will the correct offset. The price is around 84$ each wheel so that's quite a bit cheaper than the closest RWC better looking one.(don't really care how it looks in the winter)
Sorry Jeyden for the joke last nite, ok Jeyden to me I don't think steel rims will fit IS350 front calipers, what u should do is, go on (kjiji.ca) and search for a set of 225/45/17 winter tires and rims, trust me most of the time you end up with nice set of Rims+winter Tires for LESS and CHEAP, don't rush because Winter isn't here yet keep searching, ask the seller what are the OFFSET of the rims, OEM IS350 front offset is +45 rear is +50, mostly the rear will be fine, so you should get RIMS with OFFSET lower than +45 most aftermarket rims are +40 offset, its not about the looks Jeyden its the FITMENT, if you have IS200 250 don't worry about fitment, steel rims fits alright.

I have a Brand new set of winter tires, 225/45/17 with Black aftermarket rims sitting there, I bought them last winter to TEST OUT but snow isn't much these days.

Last edited by Solara350; 10-22-17 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-22-17, 07:48 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Hub-centric means they are not bored in the center, which is good. It doesn't account for the offset. If they specify the offset also, even better.
Worst case they can test fit a rim on the front before mounting any tires, that way you will know for sure.
The back won't be an issue as the brakes are significantly smaller.
And I'm with you, I don't really care how it looks in the winter...the car is going to be covered in salt, snow, and crap...I doubt having some nice winter wheels is going to change any of that.
Old 10-24-17, 11:42 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm ready to go for winter with a nice set of F-Sport replica wheels that match my Nebula Gray Pearl colour. I will be running on Pirelli Ice Zero FRs.
Old 10-25-17, 05:43 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,538 Likes on 1,730 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
** Ironically....Living in Thunder Bay without winter tire is actually not as bad as you think. Most systems affecting their weather originate from the Prairies and have much less water content so while the snow is fluffy, its very easy to drive through it. It's the wet sticky snow that southern and central ontario (as with Quebec and the Martimes) get that is worse....Now I am not saying its smart to run with 4 season tires in Thunder Bay, I was just trying to debunk the theory that things are much worse there.

Last edited by wthrman2; 10-25-17 at 05:50 PM.