IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Who's planning to keep their 3IS until 4IS comes out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 05:57 PM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One thing for sure is Lexus has not been keeping up on the horsepower front for the performance orientated V6 F-sport. It really did need more horsepower even back in 2014 when it launched, but for the 2018 refresh, it REALLY needed another 50 or so horsepower to keep the car on the radar against the BMW 335i, Infiniti Q50, Genesis G80. Lexus basically carried over an uneconomical V6 engine from the previous generation and didn't revise it even after a mid-generational refresh. Now Lexus's problem is that this car could potentially fall into irrelevance and nobody is going to care when the 4th gen comes around. That was a big mistake in my opinion.

And judging by the motor trend review of the LC500... the new 10-speed transmission that would land in the fourth generation IS is really just a 5-speed with 5 overdrive gears. So I'm not too excited about that either. For my money, I would rather entertain the 400hp Infiniti Q50 or the 365hp Geneses G80 for my next car if I can't hold out for the fourth generation. There's always an F car, but the 468hp RCF an GSF models have too many performance extras for people like me who sit in traffic all the time to justify a price premium... and it doesn't fit the compact 4-door mold that I prefer anyways. All the other points about the inferior Lexus infotainment and missing basic amenities also apply. The Tokyo Motor Show is right around the corner, so there could be some unexpected news about Lexus dropping that turbo-V6 from the new LS500 under the hood of the IS for a 2nd generation ISF. A boy can dream.

correction: i meant the genesis G70, not the G80.

Last edited by Roffles; 10-19-17 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-19-17, 07:16 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if the IS has a TTV6, it may be significantly slower than the competition, if the 200t is any indication. They seem to consistently aim for the Lexus 'sweet spot' around 1 Sec slower to 60/100/ 1/4mile benchmarks compared to rivals.
Old 10-19-17, 07:28 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
Even if the IS has a TTV6, it may be significantly slower than the competition, if the 200t is any indication. They seem to consistently aim for the Lexus 'sweet spot' around 1 Sec slower to 60/100/ 1/4mile benchmarks compared to rivals.
I hear the V6 is tuned very conservatively, and is also overbuilt. It can handle more, but Lexus doesn't want to bump the power up probably because it wouldn't help low end torque that much anyway and it'll reduce reliability.
Old 10-21-17, 06:24 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't get why adding horsepower to cars and selling them to a nation of non-drivers stuck in traffic makes any difference. I am pretty happy with the 306 hp V6 and don' get to unleash it that often. The horsepower competition is slightly nonsensical. What are people going to do with the extra hp? When are they going to use it?

Most drivers in the US are very, very unskilled and cannot drive anywhere near the capability of their cars. I am sort of skilled, but would get roasted on a track by anyone with any real skills even if they were driving a car with 100 fewer horses.
The following 2 users liked this post by link13:
Moisture (12-24-19), Solara350 (10-21-17)
Old 10-21-17, 07:28 PM
3isIexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I don't get why adding horsepower to cars and selling them to a nation of non-drivers stuck in traffic makes any difference. I am pretty happy with the 306 hp V6 and don' get to unleash it that often. The horsepower competition is slightly nonsensical. What are people going to do with the extra hp? When are they going to use it?

Most drivers in the US are very, very unskilled and cannot drive anywhere near the capability of their cars. I am sort of skilled, but would get roasted on a track by anyone with any real skills even if they were driving a car with 100 fewer horses.

I agree with you there. I tell everyone that Lexus is not known to be a true sports car brand if your looking to buy an IS. The car was designed with Luxury in mind first. They added the sportiness to some of the vehicles, but it doesn't make it a track or race car. All the extra power does absolutely nothing. It's a big **** contest to show you can drive fast on the highway. If you wanted power, you would purchase the IS F or the GS F or any other brand like BMW.

Last edited by 3isIexus; 10-21-17 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Solara350 (10-21-17)
Old 10-21-17, 07:48 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by link13

Originally Posted by 3isIexus
I agree with you there. I tell everyone that Lexus is not known to be a true sports car brand if your looking to buy an IS. The car was designed with Luxury in mind first. They added the sportiness to some of the vehicles, but it doesn't make it a track or race car. All the extra power does absolutely nothing. It's a big **** contest to show you can drive fast on the highway. If you wanted power, you would purchase the IS F or the GS F or any other brand like BMW.
very well said link13 and 3islexus, I am 40 years old+ I came out from the early 90s car enthusiast, you're right people wants more HP but they can't drive, I'm driving Lexus now because I am AGED with wife+kids, a true sport car is RWD + Standard Transmission, last gen Toyota Supra inline V6 makes 220HP, the Turbo makes 320HP, Lexus IS350 makes 306HP , 2018 IS350 will make 311HP, back in the day 300HP is a lot of power, everytimes when I launch my IS350 on highway my IS350 reaches 120km/h(75miles) after I blink my eyes couple times, everyday people gets driver licence suspends here in Toronto Ontario GTA here where I live, I don't get it, there is IS-F 416HP and RC-F 467HP why don't they buy those if they wants more HP ? they don't want to spend $$ but they want more HP lol , they wants LSD too hahaha but they don't STREET RACE or even SPEEDING but they wants bad-*** car do they even go to Track ?

Been driven Gen3 IS for awhile now I can give out real statement of gen3 IS350 here, compare with Acura TLX, Subaru WRX STI, BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C350, Infiniti Q50 Coupe, in my opinions LEXUS IS350 F-sport with AVS (adaptive Variable Suspension) is Awesome and I think it's better than BMW the too stiff steering is so STUPID it tired my arms especially Downtown traffic and turn, C350 steering is about the same as Lexus , Q50 feels weird, TLX is almost same like BMW and the STI is fair maybe because its Stick Standard trans, 3IS corning is so well so does Winding road drive, I have owned 2010 IS250 and 2011 IS350 both AWD before I jumped on to gen3 IS350, compared to previous generation oh god "Day n Nite different" even in Normal mode, I feel better than Merc , Q50 and BMW in SPORT+ mode, TLX and STI don't stand a chance even in normal.

Before people too much trash talk but they never test drove those cars or even own one, I have tested them IS350 competitors "NOW I KNOW LEXUS IS350 F-SPOR" is the one I was looking for like Toyota Supra back in the 90s. You drive IS350 FSPORT with SPORT+ on and drive a BMW 3 series and you'll know what I'm talking about, people thinks BMW is God of handling "F that ****"

Last edited by Solara350; 10-21-17 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-22-17, 07:00 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by Roffles
One thing for sure is Lexus has not been keeping up on the horsepower front for the performance orientated V6 F-sport. It really did need more horsepower even back in 2014 when it launched, but for the 2018 refresh, it REALLY needed another 50 or so horsepower to keep the car on the radar against the BMW 335i, Infiniti Q50, Genesis G80. Lexus basically carried over an uneconomical V6 engine from the previous generation and didn't revise it even after a mid-generational refresh. Now Lexus's problem is that this car could potentially fall into irrelevance and nobody is going to care when the 4th gen comes around. That was a big mistake in my opinion.

And judging by the motor trend review of the LC500... the new 10-speed transmission that would land in the fourth generation IS is really just a 5-speed with 5 overdrive gears. So I'm not too excited about that either. For my money, I would rather entertain the 400hp Infiniti Q50 or the 365hp Geneses G80 for my next car if I can't hold out for the fourth generation. There's always an F car, but the 468hp RCF an GSF models have too many performance extras for people like me who sit in traffic all the time to justify a price premium... and it doesn't fit the compact 4-door mold that I prefer anyways. All the other points about the inferior Lexus infotainment and missing basic amenities also apply. The Tokyo Motor Show is right around the corner, so there could be some unexpected news about Lexus dropping that turbo-V6 from the new LS500 under the hood of the IS for a 2nd generation ISF. A boy can dream.
correction: i meant the genesis G70, not the G80.
I just got done driving a Genesis 5.0 Ultimate for the past five days or so... Is that thing surprisingly quick! It doesn't even really need to rev to push you back into your seat. However, I think it's best to just kinda cruise along in that car. It almost is unsettling how fast it is (420 horses!), while also being kinda soft. It's a great car though, and I really loved renting it. I plan to do a little write-up on it in Car Chat.

As for the power question, I did get back home today and drove the IS to the store. I didn't really find a good chance to step on it, but after driving the Genesis for a few days... I kinda didn't feel the need to. It does provide an interesting perspective, driving those two cars back-to-back. In particular, I would love to try the G80 Sport - all the G80 needs is a bit tighter suspension tuning and perhaps a quicker steering ratio to be a good back road car. However, that's not really the G80's MO, I would say. It's mostly just a comfortable cruiser. I'd probably still look at it when it gets closer to my lease end. It's that good: I'd be willing to sacrifice a little handling for the size and comfort.
Old 10-23-17, 08:07 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm one of those car enthusiast that like sportier model product line such as the F-sport. I could fault a lot of reasons why I wouldn't wait for the 4th gen IS which all have already mentioned. Truth be told I wasn't a fan of Lexus but my wife actually wanted one over BMW or a Merc. She thinks those cars are for snobs and arrogant bastards which living in SoCal I can sometimes agree with her on that! Nowadays car manufactures are shooting for certain buyers for a specific market to sell cars. Lexus have a solid reputation for reliability and semi luxury over same or much higher price point vehicles. A few variables have to happen for me to want to buy a 4th gen IS and its horsepower is on top of the list. Some of you sound like horsepower is no big deal but in actuality it is a big deal especially if a car manufacturer pushes their car as a sport model. So despite what you think horsepower does sell and if your car isn't competing with the similar vehicles it goes up against then it falls off the radar. The next gen IS had better up the ante in both technology and performance or the brand will lose its market share.
Old 10-24-17, 03:50 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsportme
I'm one of those car enthusiast that like sportier model product line such as the F-sport. I could fault a lot of reasons why I wouldn't wait for the 4th gen IS which all have already mentioned. Truth be told I wasn't a fan of Lexus but my wife actually wanted one over BMW or a Merc. She thinks those cars are for snobs and arrogant bastards which living in SoCal I can sometimes agree with her on that! Nowadays car manufactures are shooting for certain buyers for a specific market to sell cars. Lexus have a solid reputation for reliability and semi luxury over same or much higher price point vehicles. A few variables have to happen for me to want to buy a 4th gen IS and its horsepower is on top of the list. Some of you sound like horsepower is no big deal but in actuality it is a big deal especially if a car manufacturer pushes their car as a sport model. So despite what you think horsepower does sell and if your car isn't competing with the similar vehicles it goes up against then it falls off the radar. The next gen IS had better up the ante in both technology and performance or the brand will lose its market share.
i agree. even though people don’t need the 320-365 hp of others in the segment (340i, S4, AMG C43) lexus needs to stay competitive and at least offer that they would probably win so many more people over if the IS350 or whatever it will be renamed if the 0-60 time was anywhere between 4.6-4.8 seconds
Old 10-24-17, 05:16 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The issue with the 3rd gen was that the mid model refresh was super weak. Now the car feels stale. It should have had a big engine upgrade and inclusion of CarPlay / Android in their infotainment system. Also, what lux car doesn €™t offer memory seats as standard? It €™s a good car for the price but I €™m disappointed that there isn €™t a higher end model to better compete with the S4 and 340
If your car is starting to feel stale, then just get our 3IS supercharger kit... The 430 hp will transform your car and what you think of it

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 10-25-17, 06:01 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,542 Likes on 1,732 Posts

I just traded my 2015 IS for the 2017 model earlier this summer to tie me over until the next 2 years or so. I want to see what the FMC will bring, and also, Acura's TLX will go its FMC by then too....then the Q60 will be going through its MMC.

So I am getting excited to see what will be available...
Old 10-26-17, 07:52 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not top speed that we are wanting more HP for, it's ease in accelerating. Cars are getting faster now, and I'm finding it to be getting harder and harder to keep my place in traffic at times. Shouldnt have to mash the gas to keep up.

When i I switched to an is350 from my Chevy Cruze, ease of acceleration was the first thing that I noticed. That is VERY luxurious.
Old 10-26-17, 08:16 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
It's not top speed that we are wanting more HP for, it's ease in accelerating. Cars are getting faster now, and I'm finding it to be getting harder and harder to keep my place in traffic at times. Shouldnt have to mash the gas to keep up.

When i I switched to an is350 from my Chevy Cruze, ease of acceleration was the first thing that I noticed. That is VERY luxurious.
Yes, exactly. The vast majority of people (at least, here in NA) will never need to take their car up to top speed. Torque, and lots of it from down low, is what's needed for the IS to keep up with its competition. It doesn't need to surpass them if the side effect is decreased reliability, but it needs to get with the times. Aside from Acura, Lexus is the only other luxury brand that still hasn't put a high powered turbo 6 cylinder into their 3-series fighter.

I mean, Infiniti has that TT V6 with like 290+ lb-ft torque from down low in the RPM range, and an even more potent version for the Red Sport. Even lowly Kia is getting in on the action with a TT V6 in the Stinger GT, while its more upscale cousin Genesis has the G70 with the same engine. I've even heard that Acura has a 3.0T engine floating around at their engine plant.
Old 10-26-17, 03:51 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i have a 2010 2is IS350 and waiting for the 4is to come out. Was thinking of buying a 2017 but decided to wait. I still love my car and IMO, I don't think the 3is is much better than the 2is. i hope the 4is will have an IS-F variant, if so, that's my next car!
Old 10-26-17, 03:54 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
The 2is IS 350 was IIRC, the fastest compact luxo sedan from 0-60 (4.9secs i believe.) when it came out in 2006.

Quick Reply: Who's planning to keep their 3IS until 4IS comes out?