IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

About to buy an is350 F sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 12:09 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Haha, perhaps I may have to clarify. The IS350 is a really good car. To be honest, if it really was that bad, I wouldn't have bought one. When I said German car standards, I'm thinking m3, which in hind sight is a bit different haha.

I wouldn't choose the 3 series, c class, or a/s4 over the IS350 at all. I've driven all those cars and something was missing from each of those. The Audi had sharper steering, and a great engine, the bmw was fast, and if you had the m performance pack, it cornered very well, without any drama. The Benz was quiet and comfortable by comparison to the other 2. All 3 are too clinical almost. I disagree with some of those results on that attachment, but that's just me.

To be brutally honest, nothing any of us can say about the car can make the decision for you. We all have different ideas of what is good and great. Albeit similar, but different. Go for one more drive in it, and throw it around. I still think the gti is a lot more nimble and has sharper steering. Again, if I didn't like this car, I wouldn't have bought one haha.
Old 10-11-17, 08:24 AM
iPanir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate the insight given by everybody so far, so thank you.

Granted I am not looking for a dedicated sports car, but a sports luxury car.

This car really reminded me of my friend's e92 BMW 328i. Same speed, handling, etc.

My GTI handles great because of it's weight, tires, and suspension.

That being said I am looking for a well-rounded car. I drive a lot so it's important that I have something that is comfortable. I just want to have that sportiness for my occasional aggressive driving or when I get an itch for the canyons.
Old 10-11-17, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The IS350 is a great car. I don't have mine anymore, but I really loved it. It's a great handling car and a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by jameshan
My only regret is not getting RWD. There wasn't any available at the time anyway but awd makes the car heavier, slower, less gas efficient and midpipes/coilovers are waaaaay harder to find for awd.
For what it's worth, Motor Trend tested the IS line and found the AWD to be quicker to 60 than the RWD model.

Our long-term F Sport needed 5.6 seconds to hit 60 mph and 14.0 seconds flat to run the quarter-mile, trapping at 99.8 mph. You’ll note, though, that this is slower than the IS 350 AWD it replaced in the long-term fleet. That car, with its all-wheel-drive grip, got a much better launch and hit 60 mph in 5.3 seconds on the way to a 13.9-second quarter mile at 99.4 mph. The rear-wheel-drive F Sport had some trouble putting the power down, something I think better tires would’ve helped, perhaps Potenzas instead of Turanzas.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...port-update-5/
Old 10-11-17, 09:05 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The IS350 is a better handler than the 3 series which is saying quite a lot. It €™s a better handle than a stock GTI and a great canyon carver. I don €™t know why the previous owner thinks differently as most comparisons have the IS350 F sport as top of segment in terms of handling dynamics. I test drove many cars in the segment and many were faster than the IS but did not provide the smiles the way this car behaves on the road. I have the lightning lap attached for you to see where the car is in the pecking order of other cars.
That is news to me, test drove the C class and a 3er before deciding on my 3IS and thought that the 3IS handled quite well, now i know it wasn't just in my mind.
Old 10-11-17, 09:16 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by iPanir
Hey Guys!!

Long time lurker. I currently drive a 2016 VW GTI and am about to pull the trigger on a 2017 IS350 F Sport.

Reasons for Lexus:
1) I drive 25,000-30,000 miles per year
2) Reliable & holds its value
3) Somewhat sporty

I am coming here to hear any suggestions or inputs. Do you guys wish you went with something else? Do you enjoy your car? Anything I should know before pulling the trigger? Regrets?

Looking forward for your suggestions. Thanks in advance
I don't know whether your GTI had android auto or car play, but the 3IS does not and if that is a must-have on your list, then perhaps look elsewhere. That said, after getting 19-inch wheels, i definitely recommend going max 18 inch if you like a more comfortable ride. Just to share, i totally enjoy my car, wife likes it, i like it, the dog likes it.
Old 10-11-17, 09:20 AM
iPanir
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zhifan1
I don't know whether your GTI had android auto or car play, but the 3IS does not and if that is a must-have on your list, then perhaps look elsewhere. That said, after getting 19-inch wheels, i definitely recommend going max 18 inch if you like a more comfortable ride. Just to share, i totally enjoy my car, wife likes it, i like it, the dog likes it.
The fact that it doesn't have carplay really bothers me. Luckily I saw a thread somewhere where you can install a device that mirrors your iPhone. That should be okay.
Old 10-11-17, 09:42 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The fact that it doesn't have carplay really bothers me. Luckily I saw a thread somewhere where you can install a device that mirrors your iPhone. That should be okay.
company that makes it i believe is called beatsonic
Old 10-11-17, 09:59 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The IS350 is a great car. I don't have mine anymore, but I really loved it. It's a great handling car and a lot of fun.

For what it's worth, Motor Trend tested the IS line and found the AWD to be quicker to 60 than the RWD model.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...port-update-5/
The 8 speed has to shift to get to 60 also contributing to some slowdown but seems to be a better tranny (faster, more responsive) at speed. Do a search and a couple people have stated that the RWD version makes the chassis come alive...the AWD version felt more muted in its dynamics.
Old 10-11-17, 11:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The 8 speed has to shift to get to 60 also contributing to some slowdown but seems to be a better tranny (faster, more responsive) at speed. Do a search and a couple people have stated that the RWD version makes the chassis come alive...the AWD version felt more muted in its dynamics.
No doubt the 8 speed is a great transmission. I just used the reference to show that there have been tests where the AWD accelerates quicker. It seems to be a common belief on here that the AWD is slower. That is not always the case.

As for the chassis, I've looked into it and can find some who say it makes a difference and others who say there isn't any. Personally I'm not so sure there's that much of a difference. The AWD version doesn't weight that much more. Here's another quote from Motor Trend discussing the difference in RWD and AWD IS handling:

When it comes to how the car drives, the difference is less obvious. You might expect the AWD would change the handling characteristics, but it isn’t noticeable. The steering is no heavier and no less communicative, and there’s no hint of torque steer. An advantage of the full-time all-wheel drive system is you’ll never feel the front axle connecting and disconnecting, which means it won’t upset the handling. A disadvantage is a small penalty in fuel economy, which is already slightly low for the class. Understeer is still the default when you test the limits.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...-awd-update-3/

Last edited by JDR76; 10-11-17 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 09:35 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Guys!!

Long time lurker. I currently drive a 2016 VW GTI and am about to pull the trigger on a 2017 IS350 F
Hi iPanir- I'm probably the closest to your situation. I had a 2016 GTI Autobahn for a year and replaced it with a 2017 350F One of the best decisions I ever made. This will seem like a repeat, but here's my experience:

- The GTI's best asset is also its liability. The turbo remained a mystery box to me. I was never sure how it will react or how quickly it will react in sudden driving conditions. Inconsistency comes to mind. I'm probably old school or didn't know how to work it, but the turbo lag does vary under very similar conditions. I way prefer the linearity of the naturally aspirated 6c in he IS which means you know exactly how it will react in any given moment = safety.
- After 1yr the GTI started giving me squeaks n creaks in all the wrong places. That on its own drove me nuts. Yes, the IS lives up to its reputation. Pursuit of perfection. Seamless, quietest interior, vault like doors, construction, with seats that are of a +75K car class. This was one main reason I switched. Plus the sporty looks from almost any angle. The GTI exterior is quite domestic.
- I'm more confident driving the IS on highways and +40mph roads. The IS feels more planted, and has a more 'stable performance' feel than the GTI. I'm not sure if it's the larger wheel base, but I'll attribute it to the IS suspension tuning. I enjoyed the GTI in-town more, the low end torque matched with that sublime DSG, is something the IS can't match. But I guess was never meant to match. These are two very diffferent cars. The overall trade off was definitely worth it for me.
- I'm planning to keep the IS for +5yrs. So Lexus with its #1 reliability rating is a HUGE plus, headache free. Assembled in Japan. Longevity of the GTI's high compression high rpm 4c turbo will no doubt translate to leaks etc in time. The IS has more legs to run and runs cooler if that makes sense, which means longer trouble free life, relatively speaking. Good luck!
Old 10-12-17, 09:53 PM
iPanir
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TinoPing
Hi iPanir- I'm probably the closest to your situation. I had a 2016 GTI Autobahn for a year and replaced it with a 2017 350F One of the best decisions I ever made. This will seem like a repeat, but here's my experience:

- The GTI's best asset is also its liability. The turbo remained a mystery box to me. I was never sure how it will react or how quickly it will react in sudden driving conditions. Inconsistency comes to mind. I'm probably old school or

didn't know how to work it, but the turbo lag does vary under very similar conditions. I way prefer the linearity of the naturally aspirated 6c in he IS which means you know exactly how it will react in any given moment = safety.
- After 1yr the GTI started giving me squeaks n creaks in all the wrong places. That on its own drove me nuts. Yes, the IS lives up to its reputation. Pursuit of perfection. Seamless, quietest interior, vault like doors, construction, with seats that are of a +75K car class. This was one main reason I switched. Plus the sporty looks from almost any angle. The GTI exterior is quite domestic.
- I'm more confident driving the IS on highways and +40mph roads. The IS feels more planted, and has a more 'stable performance' feel than the GTI. I'm not sure if it's the larger wheel base, but I'll attribute it to the IS suspension tuning. I enjoyed the GTI in-town more, the low end torque matched with that sublime DSG, is something the IS can't match. But I guess was never meant to match. These are two very diffferent cars. The overall trade off was definitely worth it for me.
- I'm planning to keep the IS for +5yrs. So Lexus with its #1 reliability rating is a HUGE plus, headache free. Assembled in Japan. Longevity of the GTI's high compression high rpm 4c turbo will no doubt translate to leaks etc in time. The IS has more legs to run and runs cooler if that makes sense, which means longer trouble free life, relatively speaking. Good luck!
This is perfect. Honestly this has answered most of my questions. But how would you say it is in the handling department? Driving aggressively or in the canyons which one felt better and by how much ?
Old 10-12-17, 10:56 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TinoPing

- The GTI's best asset is also its liability. The turbo remained a mystery box to me. I was never sure how it will react or how quickly it will react in sudden driving conditions. Inconsistency comes to mind. I'm probably old school or didn't know how to work it, but the turbo lag does vary under very similar conditions. I way prefer the linearity of the naturally aspirated 6c in he IS which means you know exactly how it will react in any given moment = safety.
This is good info for me too, as I'm currently driving a turbo hot hatch (Mazdaspeed 3) and I hate the inconsistent power delivery at times, and especially when making a turn and having the steering wheel angle sensor kick in to neuter all power. The car feels weak and wonky when it's somewhat hot out, and it doesn't respond well to normal city driving.

My plan is to get an AWD car in a couple of years, and I have considered the next gen STI, Golf R, and even the ill-fated Focus RS. My problem with all of the above is that they all come with their own compromises that are deal breakers. The Golf R is a VW, which is not my first pick for reliability. The Focus RS is a hot mess of kluges and poor quality control. Subaru engines suck and boxer engines are a terrible design to begin with.

So I started looking up market and happened upon the IS350 (the Acura TLX is a glorified last gen Accord, and I don't trust Infiniti's quality). I won't look at ANY German brands as I don't trust them at all for reliability, and I don't like GM or FCA. Ford is somewhat on the radar thanks to the Taurus SHO, but it's a distant consideration.

I'm actually waiting 2 years to see how the 4IS turns out with the TNGA-L platform, so I have plenty of time to decide what I want.
Old 10-13-17, 03:28 AM
hexcei
7th Gear

Long time lurker. I currently drive a 2016 VW GTI and am about to pull the trigger on a 2017 IS350 F Sport.

Reasons for Lexus:
1) I drive 25,000-30,000 miles per year
2) Reliable & holds its value
3) Somewhat sporty
I know people dont buy a Lexus if they are looking to save money however, I have a 2015 IS350 AWD fsport which requires premium gas, I average about 22 MPG. Even though I do love my car, If I was driving up to 30K a year I might seriously reconsider my decision.
Old 10-13-17, 07:43 AM
iPanir
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hexcei
I know people dont buy a Lexus if they are looking to save money however, I have a 2015 IS350 AWD fsport which requires premium gas, I average about 22 MPG. Even though I do love my car, If I was driving up to 30K a year I might seriously reconsider my decision.
I did the math between this car and a hybrid and the difference a month is about $250-$300 on gas. Although that’s a lot of money I live in my car and really want to enjoy it. Trust me I’ve had a very long debate about this haha
Old 10-13-17, 03:41 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is perfect. Honestly this has answered most of my questions. But how would you say it is in the handling department? Driving aggressively or in the canyons which one felt better and by how much ?
I give the GTI the edge on that specific point. The GTI had a lot of history and performance in its DNA with a lot of driver feedback. The way engine speed is controlled, how it sounds/works harmoniously with the DSG points to its performance roots. The GTI is nimbler and jumps out of corners like nobody's business with a nice sound track. The IS doesn't have that same raw/connected feel. The engine/transmission mating is not as seamless as the GTI's. It is the bigger/heavier car. I think if Lexus can come up with a ZF style transmission, it will go a long ways. The transmission feels aged behind the rest of the car. These things give you an indication how canyon driving will feel like. If you had to compare, the GTI is closer to a rally car in its behavior. The IS is more of an insulated, refined, composed performer with impressive acceleration and superb control, so instills more confidence. I'll say again, these are two very different cars that were never meant to tee up against each other. Hope this helps. All just my opinion.

Quick Reply: About to buy an is350 F sport