Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

You should have gotten an IS350.
Old 10-02-17, 05:13 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Well, you also have a Hellcat, which basically has more power than 99.5% of other cars you'll encounter on a day-to-day basis...

I'd have to agree with jameshan on the IS 350 - this would be a good note for your next car-buying process, to give the car a decent amount of the throttle during the test drive! Maybe not floor it, depending on how friendly your sales rep is. Or, just floor it anyway, since you're about to spend thousands of dollars on what could be a disappointment.
need to correct my signature. Dont have the RCF anymore.

You are on point about fully test the acceleration and braking during test drive. I usually give them a warning beforehand. If they don’t allow me, i turnaround back to the dealer and find one that will
Old 10-02-17, 11:33 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
This has always been a peeve of mine. Yes, the IS platform should/could have more power but at what cost?
The flip side of the coin, you'll probably find folks over at the BMW side of the fence saying "maintenance is too much/expensive!" "this car is unreliable after warranty!" "why is my car depreciating so fast?"
That's more like a self comforting excuse for the Lexus being lack of power.
20 years ago Toyota made a Supra to prove they can make a reliable car and yet it's very powerful.
So stop giving Lexus their excuse for not spending money on R&D for a new engine.
Old 10-03-17, 12:28 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by forum429
20 years ago Toyota made a Supra to prove they can make a reliable car and yet it's very powerful.
So stop giving Lexus their excuse for not spending money on R&D for a new engine.
If speed was my primary desire, I would have not purchased a Lexus. I would've gone with (at the time) an Evo X. But you know what was my priority? Lower cost of overall ownership, hint of luxury, and reliability.
Supra was an amazing car, don't get me wrong. But it only resonated with the enthusiast. Here's a hint: Toyota didn't discontinue it because of the lack of reliability or power.
Yes the engine is dated, but it is proven. Who says they aren't spending money on a new engine? I have a couple of birdie product friends over in Plano, they are working on a new engine to meet the stricter GHG standards (hint: 350 is on the chopping block)
Old 10-03-17, 06:31 AM
webra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by forum429
Comparing my BMW to my Lexus I find both equally guilty of compromises.
One sacrifices performance for reliability and the other is the opposite to a similarly disappointing extent. Who knows, it may be the Koreans who can achieve both performance and reliability. Lots of news coming out of Korea car makers nowadays.....

Last edited by webra; 10-03-17 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-03-17, 08:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
One sacrifices performance for reliability and the other is the opposite to a similarly disappointing extent. Who knows, it may be the Koreans who can achieve both performance and reliability. Lots of news coming out of Korea car makers nowadays.....
For Lexus, you have to pay $$$ to play. The GS-F should have been a $5k option from a GS350 but instead adds a ridiculous premium for the V8. It is reliable and a pretty good performer but not for the price. On the German side, Porsche is the highly reliable, high performing mfg. Super expensive though. I hear Audi has pretty decent reliability these days. Can anyone comment on the reliability of an S4?
Old 10-03-17, 09:08 AM
webra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
For Lexus, you have to pay $$$ to play. The GS-F should have been a $5k option from a GS350 but instead adds a ridiculous premium for the V8. It is reliable and a pretty good performer but not for the price. On the German side, Porsche is the highly reliable, high performing mfg. Super expensive though. I hear Audi has pretty decent reliability these days. Can anyone comment on the reliability of an S4?
Agree. If Audi reliability levels are close to or equal Lexus do you think it will sway Lexus owners? And as for the GSF, well the new Kia offers the same or better numbers.
Old 10-03-17, 09:33 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Agree. If Audi reliability levels are close to or equal Lexus do you think it will sway Lexus owners? And as for the GSF, well the new Kia offers the same or better numbers.
GSF does the quarter in 12.7. I think the Kia is in the low 13s (like the Q50 RS)...it has a bout a 100 less hp. You can probably turn up the boost to match though but the GSF is also lauded for its handling. Of course for the same price you could buy a CTS-V with 650hp but thats another argument
Old 10-03-17, 03:31 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Do share what the "opposite" of your BMW was? and why was it disappointing since it give you more power.
Old 10-03-17, 09:48 PM
matttev
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would've bought and Audi over my 2017 200t if Audi's servicing wasn't so expensive. I think Audi is definitely getting better in terms of reliability but Lexus had the better track record.
Old 10-04-17, 02:07 AM
webra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Do share what the "opposite" of your BMW was? and why was it disappointing since it give you more power.
The pluses were the engine and the interior design. The minuses were general durability. But it’s great to drive.
Old 10-06-17, 04:37 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay89
i too have an IS350 like many others here. Is there a lack of power? No not really, but I do wish there was more. For your day to day, no. It’s fine. But with more spirited driving, it could use a little more up top. But I’m almost never satisfied with the amount of power I have.
I would like more power down low. If it had the torque at 2500 that it does at 4000, that's power you can enjoy all the time, not just the 1% of the time that you are "getting on it".
Old 10-06-17, 07:17 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I hear Audi has pretty decent reliability these days. Can anyone comment on the reliability of an S4?
I don't see data available for S4 but I am looking at the latest data from Consumer Reports as to cost of ownership and for Audi as a brand is still very high (right after BMW and Mercedes), more than 60% higher than Lexus. Actually I have been paying a lot more attention to cost of ownership than reliability, these days cars can get poor reliability ratings because for example of high number of infotainment complaints that don't have direct relation to cost of ownership.
Old 11-23-18, 02:26 PM
glowix
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone who has a box measured the time of acceleration before and after with any kind of device? Racelogic? An application reading from OBD? Stopwatch at higher speeds?

I look for the information as I had Racechip GTS in my IS an the time from 60-120 was 3 secs worse after the box. The dyno says the torque is increased, but it looks that there is something else which is not cooperating after the box.

I have European IS 300 which is equivalent IS 300 RWD in North America, perviously called 200T.
Old 11-24-18, 06:11 AM
webra
Pole Position

I know of a 220i upgraded with a simple well known piggyback only and a stock 235i could no longer run away from it. It was neck and neck way past legal speeds. The 320i is the BMW equivalent to the IS300. I am not sure if current tune would bring it much past the 320i. And the ZF 8 speed is terrific in helping with the pull.

Quick Reply: Highly disappointed - Determined to tune my IS200t