IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Taillight and Rear Reflectors Tint Opinions and Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 12:59 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

If my personal taste is not to be the cause of a major and fatal accident on the freeway, I'll take it.
It's too bad that this offense is only a fix-it-ticket and not a $800 fine.
Old 09-08-17, 04:09 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Ok...so here we are at page 3 of the continuous onslaught on this thread and OP.

It's obvious some of you here have a strong opinion about taillight tinting. From reading the entire thread, your opinions are valuable and hold merit....hell, I even agree with some of them.
And I'm sure when you posted your opinion about this topic the first time, the OP read each...as clearly indicated by his response.
However...and pay attention here...re-posting that same opinion 5, 6, 7 times again, isn't going to drive the message home anymore than your first post, and frankly your just being annoying and ignorant now.
And if you believe the OP woke up one morning and said to himself "hey, let me tint my taillights so I can go out and kill someone"...then you're a bigger retard than you we all think you are already.

If I was the OP, and this was the response that I get by asking for some simple assistance with something, I'd probably never post another thread for fear of responses like the ones here.
Is that really what you want the CL forum to be...a place where someone can't ask a simple question without being attacked?!

And if you're worried about the taillights of the car in front of you...you know what...you can change lanes. Wow...problem solved!
And to touch on what IS200TFOWL said, if I had the choice to tear a strip off only one person, and it was either someone with tinted lights, or someone who never uses turn signals, it wouldn't be the guy with the tinted lights!!

Frankly, you owe the OP an apology (and you know who you are)...not because you have a strong and valid opinion about this topic, but because you went way overboard.
And if threads like this are causing you so much stress and aggravation, maybe you should take a little break from the forum...maybe permanently.

To the OP...I can't even begin to apologize for some of the people on here. I hope this doesn't deter you from posting in the future.
I'd like to think CL is an inclusive forum that supports it's members...clearly that didn't happen on this thread.
And, as per your last pics of the taillights, they look perfectly fine and fabulous. And the tint shop was correct, it's impossible to wrap nicely around the turn signal humps.
The following 10 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
2Marvelous (09-09-17), 600rr (09-11-17), airjordan1 (09-08-17), CriMe (09-09-17), davyjordi (04-12-20), IS200TFOWL (09-08-17), Moonsin (09-11-17), primavera (09-08-17), specONE (09-08-17), zhieson (04-13-18) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-08-17, 08:38 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

Excellent job brother!!
Old 09-08-17, 08:59 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Getting my windows tinted next week going to ask if I can get tail lights done lightest smoke is all just to knock down the red a little also the head lights...
Old 09-08-17, 11:23 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

@Sasnuke well said. I was starting to think the same thing but didnt know how to say it

to OP, stick around.
Old 09-08-17, 11:41 PM
airjordan1
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think everyone here is entitled to their own opinions and I believe that everyone here are all adults who can make the right judgement calls while knowing the consequences that they can bring. Personally, I appreciate all the replies that this thread has gotten, as you all relayed your opinions, though I didn't expect an argument to start haha. I didn't mean to have anyone triggered from this thread. I go through the forum quite a bit to learn more about the 3IS and also just anything car-related in general and I enjoy reading up on various threads and people's opinions on various mods. Love the enthusiasm that this community has for cars (and safety) and will continue to use CL as a source of info for future mods. Will definitely stick around.
@ttsport15 would love to see pics once you have it done!
The following 3 users liked this post by airjordan1:
600rr (09-11-17), CriMe (09-09-17), Sasnuke (09-09-17)
Old 09-11-17, 08:42 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

It's definitely awesome you're here, and you've taken a positive mature attitude towards the more mature proper responses here with regard to safety. Vs. saying "F you, it's my money, stop hating, etc" which i've seen dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) of times on other forums I've been on for 15-20 years. I can't tell you how many times I've turned entire forums around on the approach to immature, juvenile, illegal, irresponsibly dangerous modding. And people have thanked me for showing the light. Hey if I can try to talk sense into people and possibly save lives--why not? I leave my original position to people with professional facts so they can make up their minds. If someone comes and tries to defend themselves in support of dangerous stuff, well I'll defend my proper position while it's still productive. Further defense is unnecessary in this thread as the correct, proper, and legal position has been communicated.

Those who vehemently/disrespectfully disagree and support dangerous stuff have made themselves known publicly on this forum. And that's fine.

Some things are a matter of "opinion" like color of wheels, what lip to install, what stickers to put. but safety is not an opinion. You either respect it or you don't.

Anyway, man, glad you can take this with a positive light =) GL whatever you do. Stay proper!
The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
600rr (09-11-17), airjordan1 (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 09:28 AM
600rr
Pole Position

I do owe OP an apology for turning this thread into a heated discussion. Sorry brother.
E46 pretty much sums up everything I wanted to say so no need to drag this any further.
The following 3 users liked this post by 600rr:
airjordan1 (09-11-17), E46CT (09-11-17), Sasnuke (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 11:51 AM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
It's definitely awesome you're here, and you've taken a positive mature attitude towards the more mature proper responses here with regard to safety. Vs. saying "F you, it's my money, stop hating, etc" which i've seen dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) of times on other forums I've been on for 15-20 years. I can't tell you how many times I've turned entire forums around on the approach to immature, juvenile, illegal, irresponsibly dangerous modding. And people have thanked me for showing the light. Hey if I can try to talk sense into people and possibly save lives--why not? I leave my original position to people with professional facts so they can make up their minds. If someone comes and tries to defend themselves in support of dangerous stuff, well I'll defend my proper position while it's still productive. Further defense is unnecessary in this thread as the correct, proper, and legal position has been communicated.

Those who vehemently/disrespectfully disagree and support dangerous stuff have made themselves known publicly on this forum. And that's fine.

Some things are a matter of "opinion" like color of wheels, what lip to install, what stickers to put. but safety is not an opinion. You either respect it or you don't.

Anyway, man, glad you can take this with a positive light =) GL whatever you do. Stay proper!

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololol like I'm condoning death and such. Yeah you can try to paint a picture but I wouldn't ever want to put someone's life at risk.
Old 09-11-17, 12:01 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Not exactly an apology, but I think it's the best we are going to get.
The following users liked this post:
IS200TFOWL (09-11-17)
Old 09-12-17, 05:10 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Saying the words "I did not hinder safety" does not mean you did not hinder safety. It's like the scene in The Office where Michael Scott shouts "I declare bankruptcy!" thinking that's how you declare bankruptcy. You tinted your turn signals black. That's the very definition of hindering safety.
Woops, missed this. Did you miss the part where I added LED's that are far brighter than stock? My blinkers function flawlessly and extremely bright. That's what's important.
Old 09-12-17, 05:43 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

dunno why people do this. it's straight up rice and ****ing dangerous. It's basically on the same level of putting HID's in reflective housing headlights. Oh and did i mention it looks dumb and immature?
The following users liked this post:
E46CT (09-12-17)
Old 09-12-17, 07:59 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Woops, missed this. Did you miss the part where I added LED's that are far brighter than stock? My blinkers function flawlessly and extremely bright. That's what's important.
I don't think a officer citing you for tint, racing, whatever else one may be doing is going to let you off the hook on your lights because you've explained you "Added LEDs." The light being emitted from your turn signal is still affected drastically by you painting it batman black. The whole point of a signal is to signal--by painting it or changing the appearance, you defeat its purpose in the sake of *attempting* to look cool. It also draws attention by law enforcement. There's just really no upside to this "mod" whatsoever. But I'm sure you won't change your mind--at least not now! Maybe in 10 years.
Old 09-12-17, 10:35 AM
600rr
Pole Position

I rode a motorcycle for 10 years. With all the dangerous things people do on the road, texting, make-up, eating, etc. it became extremely unsafe.
If by chance a blacked-out tail light hinders my ability to stop on time, I'm dead. That's all it takes, and people who do this don't think about it. There has been many close calls with this scenario so it was the reason I decided to quit riding. It is a great passion of mine, but there are too many idiots on the road.
Old 09-12-17, 12:14 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^Good point. Not everyone is driving a 3,600 lb barge and dead lifts 200 lbs at the gym every day. Sometimes you have old people in 1995 Chevy Cavaliers or people on motorcycles whose safety depends on every single element possible. With so many distractions on the road, a delayed perception time, even for a fraction of a second, due to someone's black lights can mean the difference between life and death.

Quick Reply: Taillight and Rear Reflectors Tint Opinions and Advice?