IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Taillight and Rear Reflectors Tint Opinions and Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 03:35 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree that this should be a highly punishable offense and not a mod to be praised or advocated by anyone. It is for the safety of others on the road and the punishment should be the same as running a red light.
A car containing a family with small children can ram into you at 70mph highway speeds, just so your tail lights can look cool?
I drive around with my kids, so this "mod" is very offensive to me when I see it.
Old 09-06-17, 05:05 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
IMO dimming one’s taillights comes under the heading of bypassing a safety device. When I first got my driver’s license (in 1953), there were no:

· Seat belts
· Padded dashes
· Collapsing steering columns
· Dual brake lines
· Air bags
· TPMS
· Third brake lights
· Pop-out windshields
· Backup cameras
· Blind spot warnings
· (Even turn signals were a dealer-installed option)

Were all those things unnecessary? No, we were just lucky not to get killed.
dang 1953, well then i won't expect you to wrap your mind around it. Stay away from anything sema, yall might have a heart attack
Old 09-06-17, 07:46 PM
airjordan1
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up going to a shop to get the tint off. They wet sanded it and polished it with a DA polisher so it looks more or less OEM just much glossier and has a deeper color than the OEM look. Personally, I don't like blacked out tail lights or ones that are super dark. I just wanted a darker red shade to match the nebula gray paint and I think I went a little too dark when I tinted my taillights. Never my intention to put others in danger through tinting the taillights. Thanks for all your opinions though guys.
The following 3 users liked this post by airjordan1:
600rr (09-07-17), davyjordi (09-08-17), Magellan (09-06-17)
Old 09-06-17, 09:15 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

I get what you were trying to do, make it darker and richer but not dull and black

Are you going to try again? Maybe a wrap? Easier to remove if you don't like
Old 09-06-17, 09:22 PM
airjordan1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
I get what you were trying to do, make it darker and richer but not dull and black

Are you going to try again? Maybe a wrap? Easier to remove if you don't like
The shop I went to said that itd be hard to wrap the taillights with one piece due to the 2 ridges sticking out the side of the taillights so it wouldn't look as flush. I think I'll focus more on performance aspects of the car for now rather than aesthetics. I just decided to try the spray tint since I had free time and I heard its not an expensive mod.
Old 09-07-17, 09:47 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

If you want to do something, effective, cheap, free, remove your wheels and wire brush the wheel face mounting point and hub/rotor face points and retorque the wheels.

Could save your life.
Old 09-07-17, 09:50 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 600rr
I agree that this should be a highly punishable offense and not a mod to be praised or advocated by anyone. It is for the safety of others on the road and the punishment should be the same as running a red light.
A car containing a family with small children can ram into you at 70mph highway speeds, just so your tail lights can look cool?
I drive around with my kids, so this "mod" is very offensive to me when I see it.
man you are awesome. you should see the crap i deal with on the BMW forums where younger kids are buying cheap BMWs and molesting the crap out of them.

although i strongly disagree with a lot of mods due to poor taste, ugly, whatever, I understand people are free to do what they want... except mods that compromise safety are where i draw the line and take a hard stance on. people don't think about others though, they think about themselves and how they want their car to look.

but these dudes can turn around and realize their mistakes and learn from this and move on. lets hope OP doesn't tint his lights

another thing is what is OP going to do when he has to sell his car or return it back from the lease. with painted lights. i hope nail polish remover can remove it without destroying it the lights.
Old 09-07-17, 10:56 AM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Honestly who gives, this isn't a poll so quit ruining threads. looking forward to your next bomb
Old 09-07-17, 12:23 PM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I've tinted my rear tails on my IS but 2 very small accent spots that really made the lights pop. I used dark smoke vinyl to black out the blinker and the reverse lights. Leaving the rear end of the car nothing but red/black accents. At the same time I swapped out the blinker bulbs for much brighter LED bulbs and the reverse lights also. I have not hindered the safety features, and it looks nice.

Old 09-07-17, 05:33 PM
airjordan1
Rookie

So here is the end result and comparison after more wetsanding and polishing. Its significantly lighter compared to when it was tinted and much glossier. To be honest I don't really remember how it looks OEM but I would say that I don't think I'll have any problems with people not being able to see my brakelights.

Old 09-08-17, 08:41 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ciggy
I've tinted my rear tails on my IS but 2 very small accent spots that really made the lights pop. I used dark smoke vinyl to black out the blinker and the reverse lights. Leaving the rear end of the car nothing but red/black accents. At the same time I swapped out the blinker bulbs for much brighter LED bulbs and the reverse lights also. I have not hindered the safety features, and it looks nice.

Saying the words "I did not hinder safety" does not mean you did not hinder safety. It's like the scene in The Office where Michael Scott shouts "I declare bankruptcy!" thinking that's how you declare bankruptcy. You tinted your turn signals black. That's the very definition of hindering safety.
Old 09-08-17, 10:51 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IS200TFOWL
Honestly who gives, this isn't a poll so quit ruining threads. looking forward to your next bomb
I give a shlt. It's one thing to make your car look nice, but putting others at risk is no game.
Like I said, this is not a mod to be advocated, so i'm not going into these thread and say "it looks nice, bro."
Old 09-08-17, 12:38 PM
IS200TFOWL
Advanced

Originally Posted by 600rr
I give a shlt. It's one thing to make your car look nice, but putting others at risk is no game.
Like I said, this is not a mod to be advocated, so i'm not going into these thread and say "it looks nice, bro."
He created this thread for advice not discrimination. If it's done right it's fully legal atleast in Arizona. Go protest something else maybe how people don't use their blinkers at all or drive around past dark with only drl's. They're are more problems at hand more than your personal taste
Old 09-08-17, 12:38 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The below post from a few years ago, should show the illegality of tinting tail lights in California.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-o...hts-legal.html
Old 09-08-17, 12:42 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS200TFOWL
He created this thread for advice not discrimination. If it's done right it's fully legal atleast in Arizona. Go protest something else maybe how people don't use their blinkers at all or drive around past dark with only drl's. They're are more problems at hand more than your personal taste
As said, personal taste has nothing to do with the protest here. It's safety.

And, yeah, Arizona law does address this. And just cause and if a state hasn't gotten around to legislation yet does not mean it's not dangerous.

It's to be expected that on a forum, you'll have some people defending r1cer stuff. Anyway hope OP makes the right choice. He understands now.

Quick Reply: Taillight and Rear Reflectors Tint Opinions and Advice?