IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rearview Mirror Camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 03:11 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I have this done a long time ago you don’t need to solder any wires. The guy in the video is soldering wires for the power to the camera. I tapped this power from the fuse box in engine bay. It’s much easier that way.
i even installed oem button today.

Last edited by dojoman; 09-04-17 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 03:40 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I have this done a long time ago you don’t need to solder any wires. The guy in the video is soldering wires for the power to the camera. I tapped this power from the switch box in engine bay. It’s much easier that way.
i even installed oem button today.

I like the switch. Is that the switch from the Beat-Sonic CS6 Toyota kit? If not, where did you get it?
Old 09-04-17, 05:48 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I like the switch. Is that the switch from the Beat-Sonic CS6 Toyota kit? If not, where did you get it?
Yes, it comes with CS6 kit but I contacted Sam from Beatsonic to get it. They sell just the button and harness it’s compatible with CS5 box. It costs $19 plus $6 shipping. Button even lights up and looks much better than the one that came with CS5.
The following users liked this post:
otakusan (09-05-17)
Old 09-05-17, 06:50 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

have been eyeing the beatsonic front camera kit for some time now.. I think I'll jump on it now that I know there's a nice camera switch
Old 09-05-17, 11:26 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

I cancelled my order without incident this morning. I thought that there would be a fuss but nope, no fuss. No spending money on things I can't complete or don't feel comfortable doing.

edit: I wound up purchasing the one on Nigel's site with the video in the rearview mirror. much simpler.

Last edited by davyjordi; 09-05-17 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-05-17, 12:03 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davyjordi
I cancelled my order without incident this morning. I thought that there would be a fuss but nope, no fuss. No spending money on things I can't complete or don't feel comfortable doing.

edit: I wound up purchasing the one on Nigel's site with the video in the rearview mirror. much simpler.
I'm sure that one also involves taking dash apart and doing some wiring work, since our cars has different wiring harness than the Japanese cars it will not be plug and play.

But the bigger problem to that set is that the camera is ment to be installed on the left side corner of bumper (used for parallel parking), so if you try to install it on the right side of the bumper the camera will be pointing up instead of down(not to mention the image displayed will be upside down). And I'm not sure if that camera will actually show how close the front lower part of your bumper to the curb. unless you take apart the camera and enclosure unit and mount just the camera else where.
Old 09-05-17, 12:17 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by otakusan
I'm sure that one also involves taking dash apart and doing some wiring work, since our cars has different wiring harness than the Japanese cars it will not be plug and play.

But the bigger problem to that set is that the camera is ment to be installed on the left side corner of bumper (used for parallel parking), so if you try to install it on the right side of the bumper the camera will be pointing up instead of down(not to mention the image displayed will be upside down). And I'm not sure if that camera will actually show how close the front lower part of your bumper to the curb. unless you take apart the camera and enclosure unit and mount just the camera else where.
he told me that the front camera is wireless. as for the rest, we'll see!
Old 09-05-17, 12:24 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

he told me that the front camera is wireless. as for the rest, we'll see!
Did they show you installation instructions? Camera video feed might be wireless but you still have to do hard wiring for power. Not to mention drilling holes in your bumper to mount camera.
Old 09-05-17, 12:28 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Did they show you installation instructions? Camera video feed might be wireless but you still have to do hard wiring for power. Not to mention drilling holes in your bumper to mount camera.
no installation instructions yet. I'm more comfortable with this purchase. hardwiring into the mirror harness isn't difficult. hardwiring through the firewall and the engine bay is. those levels of difficulty are for me, you may have a completely different level of difficulty with regard to things like these. I'm not ready to make the beatsonic jump yet.
Old 09-05-17, 01:47 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

no installation instructions yet. I'm more comfortable with this purchase. hardwiring into the mirror harness isn't difficult. hardwiring through the firewall and the engine bay is. those levels of difficulty are for me, you may have a completely different level of difficulty with regard to things like these. I'm not ready to make the beatsonic jump yet.
But won't you lose rear dimming and Homelink if you replaced it with lcd screen version of rear view mirror?
Old 09-05-17, 01:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

But won't you lose rear dimming and Homelink if you replaced it with lcd screen version of rear view mirror?
DOH!!
For that price, the mirror better come with both...and a butler to clean the lens of the camera...daily!

From the website pic it looks like the dimmer is still there...but no signs of the Homelink anywhere.
Old 09-05-17, 02:06 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

for the extra $200+ you could have had someone installed the bea-tsonic one also

but if you can manage to get it to work, you'll be the only one in north america with that option
Old 09-05-17, 02:19 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
DOH!!
For that price, the mirror better come with both...and a butler to clean the lens of the camera...daily!

From the website pic it looks like the dimmer is still there...but no signs of the Homelink anywhere.
Look what IS owners have to do just to add another camera while 2018 Camry comes with surround view camera, HUD, memory seats.
Old 09-05-17, 02:21 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Look what IS owners have to do just to add another camera while 2018 Camry comes with surround view camera, HUD, memory seats.
tech changes quick man... the 4IS will probably have 360 cam and a flux-capacitor

Last edited by otakusan; 09-05-17 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-05-17, 02:23 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by otakusan
tech changes quick man... the 4IS will probably have 360 cam and a flex-capacitor
LOL!!! Is that you Marty?!?!

Quick Reply: Rearview Mirror Camera