IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So.....I got rear-ended

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-17, 02:31 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts
Default So.....I got rear-ended

I was the front car of three. The poor guy that hit me was driving a E63 AMG S (super nice car btw), he got hit by old pos Honda CRV.
The damage is very minimal to my car. I'll need a new bumper cover - based on my unprofessional opinion.

Has anybody had a bumper replaced? How much was it?
Do bumpers always need to be painted or are they available in different colors?
Old 09-02-17, 02:51 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I was the front car of three. The poor guy that hit me was driving a E63 AMG S (super nice car btw), he got hit by old pos Honda CRV.
The damage is very minimal to my car. I'll need a new bumper cover - based on my unprofessional opinion.

Noooo doodlebug....noooooooo!!!
At least no one was hurt...I'm assuming.
Unfortunately the bumper does not come painted...it will need to be painted.
Thankfully it's just the bumper...shouldn't be a big deal or expensive.
Never replaced a bumper, but between the part, paint, and labor, I'm guessing north of $600.
Old 09-02-17, 03:19 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Noooo doodlebug....noooooooo!!!
At least no one was hurt...I'm assuming.
Unfortunately the bumper does not come painted...it will need to be painted.
Thankfully it's just the bumper...shouldn't be a big deal or expensive.
Never replaced a bumper, but between the part, paint, and labor, I'm guessing north of $600.
Yep, it happened.
No one hurt. I know it's just a car, but, damnit.
I'm sure her insurance isn't going to be happy since they'll have to repair a Lexus and a Mercedes.
Old 09-02-17, 03:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Glad you're okay.

In my experience, a new bumper cover run $800-$1100, painted and installed (much more if you have parking sensors).
Old 09-02-17, 06:05 PM
3actual
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only bad part is you will be able to tell the bumper was repainted. Shops do their best to match the paint, but you can always tell.
Old 09-02-17, 07:14 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug

I was reared ended last December and had new rear bumper replaced at local Lexus dealer. Total cost was 1150USD including one week rental of a IS200T, paid for by StateFarm. Offenders insurance was Statefarm and they would only pay for an economy car rental, which I refused considering my car was less than 3 months old then. However, Lexus stepped up and let me have an IS200T rental for the same amount, less than 30.00 per day as a goodwill measure.

New rear bumper was 492 and the rest was for labor and the rental.
Old 09-02-17, 07:17 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can find a new bumper cover for under 200 shipped from a wholesaler. I had to buy a new front bumper cause my tabs broke, paid $178 shipped. Roughly $200-250 for paint.
Old 09-02-17, 07:33 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I got rear ended by some kid in a u-haul about a year ago. I was sitting in my car in a parking stall and he reversed right into me. I had to get a new bumper cover and trunk lid. Just take your time finding a reputable shop that can match and blend the paint. Also, make sure you get an OEM bumper cover to ensure proper fitment.

Old 09-02-17, 08:06 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Thanks everybody. I appreciate all of the responses. I'm gonna hope for the best.
Old 09-03-17, 03:54 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Damn sorry to hear, got pics of the damage?

I was rear-ended (was a love tap) in the rain a few months back. The guy claimed, his brakes weren't good, so his car slowly creeped forward hitting my rear on a stop light.

There was no damage, except my diffuser kinda dislodged from the bumper, so I pushed it back in. Had my buddies at Lexus inspect it, no damage, no scratches (thank god). Made the guy pay me $500 for my troubles lmao.

*knock on wood* hopefully does not happen again.
Old 09-03-17, 04:52 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Originally Posted by nathantse
Damn sorry to hear, got pics of the damage?

I was rear-ended (was a love tap) in the rain a few months back. The guy claimed, his brakes weren't good, so his car slowly creeped forward hitting my rear on a stop light.

There was no damage, except my diffuser kinda dislodged from the bumper, so I pushed it back in. Had my buddies at Lexus inspect it, no damage, no scratches (thank god). Made the guy pay me $500 for my troubles lmao.

*knock on wood* hopefully does not happen again.
Honestly, it's pretty hard to see. Pay attention to the bottom of the garage door reflection.

If you look closely, you'll see an imprint of the Mercedes emblem and then the bottom of the bumper has a line that is another indention caused by the portion of his bumper below the emblem. The diffuser has 2 tiny imperfections from it. I'd be surprised if that was replaced.

Most people probably wouldn't fix it.

Old 09-03-17, 05:02 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

^ Ahh I see it. I'm pretty @nal about my car.. so I'll fix it lol.

To the naked eye, most people can't tell. But def, see if your insurance can do anything?
Old 09-03-17, 05:09 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

I'm gonna call my agent on Tuesday, but the lady at fault's insurance will be on the hook. It just sucks that I have to deal with it and have diminished value to deal with just because some lady wasn't paying attention.
I expect a few headaches in the near future.
It's crazy because my husband and I were talking about what my next car will be all day yesterday, too.
Now I'll be taking a hit on trade-in if it shows up on Carfax.
Just generally pissed.
Old 09-03-17, 09:55 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

I see insurance will quote to replace the diffuser,
If not the body shop can argue in your favor. No way for then I refinish that so those tiny marks will be like it was before without replacing entire piece.

And not all accidents will show up in a carfax. I had a hit and run while car was parked before with some good damage to front fender bumper and headlamp and that never showed up on a carfax. Not sure how or when it does.

You should talk to your insurance to collect dimmished value as part of the claim if you are concerned when you sell. I have heard that is possible.

Last edited by specONE; 09-03-17 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 06:46 PM
nvbirdman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got rear-ended in a three car wreck years and years ago, the car that caused it was driven by a kid who had just gotten his learners permit and had his eighteen year old sister with him.
I bet daddy wasn't happy.

Quick Reply: So.....I got rear-ended