IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS250 vs 2015 IS250 F sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 02:09 PM
commedg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 IS250 vs 2015 IS250 F sport

I am looking to buy a used IS 250. I never drive a Lexus before. I went to the dealer and checked out two IS 250.
1. 2014 IS250 Premium package $27K with 36500 miles
2. 2015 IS250 F-sport $28K with 47300 miles

I like the look of the F-sport but that car is over miles which makes me hesitate. Since I do not know anything about cars, to me, does it worth to pay more to get an over miles car ? Or can someone tell me what's good about the F sport package beside the cosmetic look.
Old 08-24-17, 05:35 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

For me I wouldn't get an IS at all if it wasn't F-Sport. But that is because cosmetics is a big thing to me. Especially the parts of the car that we use the most :Tachometer and seats. The red seats are only available on the f sport model and we got the best looking tach. Plus you get the f sport wheels, grill, steering wheel, badging, (suspension?) etc. If those factors aren't important to you then go for the base model. But generally anything under 50k miles is pretty good. Are either of the cars CPO?
The following users liked this post:
commedg (08-25-17)
Old 08-24-17, 09:03 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I am personally not a fan of any 250 because I feel the engine doesn't have enough horsepower, but between the two, I would get the F-Sport because it looks cooler and it isn't the low-end IS.

Dont be too hung up on the higher mileage. As long as it was maintained well, it won't be that big of an issue, and if you get the F-Sport and decide to sell it 4-5 years down the road, it will be more desirable to buyers.

Go for the F Sport. Good luck.
commedg (08-25-17)
Old 08-24-17, 09:23 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

This may help:
https://www.lexusoflehighvalley.com/...0-f-sport.html

I would get the F Sport if I were you. I got a base model and I regret not opting for the F Sport, but I know for next time around

And the $1,000 difference covers your F Sport bumper conversion if you end up doing that, the 18" wheels, the interior, etc. Plus it's a newer car, yes a bit more mileage, but it's a Toyota/Lexus, it's built properly! Like someone else said, if the car is in good shape and the maintenance has been done, get the 2015.
commedg (08-25-17)
Old 08-25-17, 09:15 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
I am personally not a fan of any 250 because I feel the engine doesn't have enough horsepower, but between the two, I would get the F-Sport because it looks cooler and it isn't the low-end IS.

Dont be too hung up on the higher mileage. As long as it was maintained well, it won't be that big of an issue, and if you get the F-Sport and decide to sell it 4-5 years down the road, it will be more desirable to buyers.

Go for the F Sport. Good luck.
what he's looking at is a base model, but not all models that look like that are base models. i have a luxury packaged 3IS and i really love all of the features that my f-sport lacks. i wish they would combine the two. they hopefully will for the next generation.
Old 08-25-17, 11:26 AM
commedg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, both cars are CPO.
Old 08-25-17, 11:55 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

commedg, welcome to CL and the 3IS forum! Click the hyperlinks below for further info.

11k miles difference on a Lexus is nothing to worry about. On looks alone, my vote is for the F Sport model, but test drive both and get a feel for both regarding brakes, ride, any rattles (should be tight), seat creases, scratches on the Nav screen, and overall shape of the car.

Check the maintenance records also, for instance the only two "major" problems that plagued several '14 and '15 IS models is the freezing of the Infotainment and the battery drain issues, both resolvable by the dealer and you should inquire about these two issues. (I had the drain issue).

As for differences between, non-F Sport and F Sport, they have been mostly stated in above posts but to add/clarify: springs and dampers are different (firmer) for better handling and reduced body roll on the F Sport. Also, the F Sport seats are more aggressively bolstered and are Nuluxe only (faux leather but very durable). Finally, the F Sport has an additional induction pipe in the engine bay for added sound at higher revs (above 3500 rpm). All else mechanically identical (engine, exhaustsystem, transmission/gearing).

Good luck on your decision and keep us posted!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 08-25-17 at 11:58 AM.
commedg (08-25-17)
Old 08-28-17, 03:08 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
The non-F isn't the "low end" IS, it just don't have that (totally cosmetic in the 250) package. IMO the non-F is better.
Old 08-28-17, 07:53 PM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

All i have to say is...instrument cluster.
That was the one thing that sold me on the F-Sport over the base/lux. Its just freaking cool! 1.5 years later, still not tired of playing with it! 👍😁

But i agree with the 250 being underpowered. Hell, imo even the 350 needs about 50 more hp and torque to really come alive! Not to mention compete in its class... 😒
Old 08-28-17, 08:03 PM
MilkMonstr
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
what he's looking at is a base model, but not all models that look like that are base models. i have a luxury packaged 3IS and i really love all of the features that my f-sport lacks. i wish they would combine the two. they hopefully will for the next generation.

This. I wish they combined them too
davyjordi (09-16-17)
Old 08-28-17, 08:45 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,504 Likes on 1,804 Posts

I'd go for an F Sport every time, but then again, weigh the options on the non-F Sport model. If it's truly a "base" model, then don't do it - pony up that extra $1k for the F Sport and have fun with it! The seats, instrument cluster, and appearance alone are worth it - especially the seats. My friends always remind me how good the seats are when they ride with me. Nice ego-boost, that.

I've never driven a 250 though, so I can't really comment on the driving impressions.
Old 08-28-17, 09:09 PM
Panzer126
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd take the higher milage fsport model, the tach is something I've grown to absolutely love and the seats are some of the best for a sub 100k car. Seriously, I went to the car show in Toronto couple months back and sat in every single car I could. The IS seats, and surprisingly the golf GTI and R had some of the best seats. Mercedes had the worst by far.

I've driven a 250 base and honestly it's not that bad. You will floor it much more often, but it's got enough torque to take off at a reasonable pace. Just don't expect to overtake super easily on the highway but otherwise it's a fine car.
Old 08-29-17, 09:15 PM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Panzer126
I'd take the higher milage fsport model, the tach is something I've grown to absolutely love and the seats are some of the best for a sub 100k car. Seriously, I went to the car show in Toronto couple months back and sat in every single car I could. The IS seats, and surprisingly the golf GTI and R had some of the best seats. Mercedes had the worst by far.

I've driven a 250 base and honestly it's not that bad. You will floor it much more often, but it's got enough torque to take off at a reasonable pace. Just don't expect to overtake super easily on the highway but otherwise it's a fine car.
overtaking is basically all i use the power for lol
As for the seats... They are good, but I've never even thought about it, Brobably because I'm used to the seats in my 3000gt, which are equally as good, if not a bit better. I didn't realize the fsport even had different seats.
But idk about the under 100k claim... there are some really nice seats these days..., bmw Ms, Mazda mx5, nissan 370 to name a few

Last edited by Turismo; 08-30-17 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-30-17, 05:04 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Get the f-sport if you're focused on appearance. Get the non f-sport premium if you want more features like memory seating. I prefer the f-sport with roja red interior. Test drive both twice and compare pros and cons. Also don't count out the 200t and 350. In real world the mpg is almost the same.
Old 09-08-17, 07:43 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Turismo
All i have to say is...instrument cluster.
That was the one thing that sold me on the F-Sport over the base/lux. Its just freaking cool! 1.5 years later, still not tired of playing with it! 👍😁
If you say so. I think it's silly. I'm quite glad that the car can be had with traditional gages.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS250 vs 2015 IS250 F sport