IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear Tire Rub (RSR/19s)

Old 08-17-17, 03:30 PM
Cheeb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Tire Rub (RSR/19s)

So I recently installed RSR Down springs, SPC adjustable ball joints, SPC camber arms with 19" wheels/tires and I'm having what I consider to be a pretty major rub in the rear as you'll see in the pictures. I'm trying to get some ideas from the community as to what I did wrong and what my options are going forward to eliminate the rubbing. The rub happens on pretty much any decent bump/dip in the road where the rear springs compress. Mild cornering so far hasn't been much of an issue unless its at an incline due to the weight transfer.

Vehicle: 2014 IS 350 F Sport AWD
Rear: 19x9.5 +32 on 265/30 : neg 1.18 degree camber

I first considered rolling the fenders but there is almost no lip to roll so I don't see that doing much. I thought about pulling the fenders but I'm afraid it'd throw off the misfair between the rear quarter and bumper where they meet on the aft portion of the wheel arch. I've considered (mostly as a temporary fix) to install some 1/2" spring spacers to bring the *** end up a bit but I feel like that's merely a band-aid fix.

Chances are I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order a smaller rear wheel/tire size but I thought I'd go to the experts, you guys/gals, to see if you have any input on my situation. Thanks in advance for any insight or advice you can send my way.

Last edited by Cheeb; 08-17-17 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-17-17, 05:03 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

You can keep the same tires but you would need to switch to a wheel with less aggressive offsets to get rid of the rubbing. I'm personally running +40 in the rear but others have no issues with +38.
Old 08-17-17, 05:42 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Miintt
You can keep the same tires but you would need to switch to a wheel with less aggressive offsets to get rid of the rubbing. I'm personally running +40 in the rear but others have no issues with +38.
I would also say your offset is the problem. I'm running 275/30/19 - +42 offset......no problems.
Old 08-17-17, 07:19 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

your setup pushes the wheel outwards for 1.25" from factory setup. unless you cut your fenders and go wide body, no suspension/fender rolling/pulling mod will make things right without killing the tires. Do it right and get wheels that fits.
Old 08-17-17, 07:38 PM
Cheeb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by otakusan
your setup pushes the wheel outwards for 1.25" from factory setup. unless you cut your fenders and go wide body, no suspension/fender rolling/pulling mod will make things right without killing the tires. Do it right and get wheels that fits.
Totally. Not about to cut the fenders to make them fit. Looks like I'll have to start looking for a different set of wheels.

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I would also say your offset is the problem. I'm running 275/30/19 - +42 offset......no problems.
After doing a bit more research...

These wheels should have a +35 offset, which probably wouldn't solve the issue, but the build sheet I received states that the front and rear offset is +32. I'll call in the morning to see why there is a discrepancy.
Old 08-17-17, 09:07 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I see you have Michelin PSS tires - do keep in mind that those run on the meatier and slightly wider spectrum than other tire brands with the same specs.
Old 08-17-17, 09:13 PM
Cheeb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexSense
I see you have Michelin PSS tires - do keep in mind that those run on the meatier and slightly wider spectrum than other tire brands with the same specs.
​​​​​​​I think I'm going to start shopping for new wheels. I don't there are any other realistic options.
Old 08-18-17, 05:03 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cheeb
​​​​​​​I think I'm going to start shopping for new wheels. I don't there are any other realistic options.
the math is really not hard. Stock rear wheels for example is +50 offset and 8.5" wide. So for every mm of offset you go lower, the wheel will poke out that amount. And for what amount of wider width you go, divide that by half and add it to how much more it will contribute to the wheel sticking out.

After lowering with RSR Springs and stock wheel/tires, most of these cars only have about 3/4" max before you get too close to the fenders.

and yes, tire choice will play a part of how much you will rub, but for your current setup, your rims are the much bigger part of the problem.
Old 08-18-17, 07:46 AM
Cheeb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by otakusan
the math is really not hard. Stock rear wheels for example is +50 offset and 8.5" wide. So for every mm of offset you go lower, the wheel will poke out that amount. And for what amount of wider width you go, divide that by half and add it to how much more it will contribute to the wheel sticking out.

After lowering with RSR Springs and stock wheel/tires, most of these cars only have about 3/4" max before you get too close to the fenders.

and yes, tire choice will play a part of how much you will rub, but for your current setup, your rims are the much bigger part of the problem.
​​​​​​​Is it generally a good idea to go with a higher offset to allow some wiggle room with the use of spacers?
Old 08-18-17, 07:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

What you did wrong is install wheels that are too big for the car. Plain and simple. Whatever you do, don't try to correct it by installing undersized tires, tilting your wheels inward, or other destructive measures. Unsafe and unhealthy. The wheel/tire style you chose is actually nice, you just chose the wrong size. That's what happened in my experience here and I ended up trashing the old wheels that some aggressive male put on the car and got the same exact wheels NEW again but down an inch in size and got a new tire on it. The car is 1000000x better and no rubbing! Be safe y'all!

http://www.e46mango.com/2017/08/why-...le-choice.html
Old 08-18-17, 08:12 AM
Cheeb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
What you did wrong is install wheels that are too big for the car. Plain and simple. Whatever you do, don't try to correct it by installing undersized tires, tilting your wheels inward, or other destructive measures. Unsafe and unhealthy. The wheel/tire style you chose is actually nice, you just chose the wrong size. That's what happened in my experience here and I ended up trashing the old wheels that some aggressive male put on the car and got the same exact wheels NEW again but down an inch in size and got a new tire on it. The car is 1000000x better and no rubbing! Be safe y'all!

http://www.e46mango.com/2017/08/why-...le-choice.html
I'm definitely not about the stance life, no offense to those that are, it's just not for me. I'm currently shopping around for either:

A) My same rear wheel in a larger offset (maybe smaller diameter as well) which I haven't been able to confirm exists.

B) Sell my existing wheels/tires and start over.

​​​​​​​Thanks for the article.
​​​​​
Old 08-18-17, 10:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Yeah I didn't think you were about stance life due to your wheel and tire choice.

I would go with option B.

I think your setup is more for an "F" vehicle.
Old 08-18-17, 07:22 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cheeb
​​​​​​​Is it generally a good idea to go with a higher offset to allow some wiggle room with the use of spacers?
It's generally a good idea to first understand the offset and width of your stock setup, as you have them already and can do measurements physically. From that you can decide on proper offset and width of your new wheels and tires. So for your stock +45 front and +50 rear with 8" wide front and 8.5" rear... work from those numbers. start with width. If you want to go wider, than add those numbers on.

say if you want to go 8.5" wide front and 9" wide rear.. you're adding 1/4" to your inner and outter rim. when you look at your stock wheels/tires on your tire, you can see/measure how much space until you get too close to the fender.. than you can decide what offset will still clear.

Google on "offset" for wheels.. there are nice clear pictures and diagrams that explain to you how these numbers work if you're having trouble wrapping it around your mind.

Also, if you can.. DO NOT use spacers, it's a patch in attempting to fix a problem. If you select the right size wheels/tires there is no need for a patch.
Old 08-19-17, 06:43 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

guys.... don't make him just get a set of new wheels!! this can work with minimal adjustments.

​​​​​if you want to keep rolling on these wheels, without rubbing, increase the camber a bit. use those spc arms!!! once you're around ~ -2 to -2.5 you should be fine. go to an alignment shop and have them adjust the camber settings until there's no rub. this sure as hell beats getting a new set of wheels or tires.
​​

your specs aren't that aggressive. I'm running 18x10+38 with 255/35 Coopers. my camber (I think) is around -1.5.

p.s. wheel spacers here will not fix your problem. it's not even a temp fix. it would make your rubbing problem worse.

Last edited by dnasians; 08-19-17 at 06:48 AM.