IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

PLEASE HELP! cant get adhesive residue off dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 11:27 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP! cant get adhesive residue off dashboard

okay...so im freaking out right now. please help if you guys can!!
i recently peeled off a airfresher that was on the dashboard and had some left over adhesive residue from it.
instead of using tape to just get off the remaining residue off, my girlfriend use a wetwipe to "clean it off" instead.

what she did was infact the opposite. she basially smeared the remaining residue on the dash and its basically ingrained into the texture of the leather/vinyl now.

ive use small amounts of EVERYTHING to try to get them off with no resolution, in fact it looks like ive smeared it even more. the parts with the residue looks faded.

ive tried using the following items below, gently using a qtip or a tooth brush to scrub.
soap with water
baby oil
goo gone
Lexol leather cleaner

can someone please help me out or any suggestions? my car is brand new...

Last edited by eman27; 08-10-17 at 11:31 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 08-10-17, 11:56 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
hmmm... hard to diagnose fully from just pictures... but you (or your gf) may have marred the finish with the wet wipe if it contained alcohol - and then especially with the goo gone, as this stuff is very capable of marring finishes.

Do the areas feel sticky at all?
no, it's not sticky.

and the wet wipes does not contain any alcohol
Old 08-11-17, 12:15 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
You might also try posting in the Automotive Care & Detailing sub-forum, lots of highly knowledgeable posters in that thread that may be able to advise further. Good luck.

Too late now, but when removing residue of any kind, I start with soap and patience. Dawn or Ivory or some other liquid soap with no scents or additives, etc.
lol godamit...
do you guys know if that panel for the dash is replacable? or do you have to replace to whole thing...
Old 08-11-17, 12:19 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Send pics of girlfriend, o no wrong forum, it says on some air fresheners test first where you stick them, have you tried any of the vinyl rejuvenators 303 is good cheers.
Old 08-11-17, 12:55 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isfvss
Send pics of girlfriend, o no wrong forum, it says on some air fresheners test first where you stick them, have you tried any of the vinyl rejuvenators 303 is good cheers.
yeah, already tried that also. didnt work.
Old 08-11-17, 03:46 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

My 'goto' for sticky stuff is good ol' trusty WD-40. In this case I would spray it on a paper towel and then use the paper towel to apply it to the residue.

Always do a test area somewhere on the vinyl where you can't see just to be sure it doesn't harm the dash.
Old 08-11-17, 08:40 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Worse case scenario - mothers back to black if it's not sticky and just a discolored area
Old 08-11-17, 08:41 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

You're pretty much SOL. I had a mark on my IS350 dash, and there's basically nothing that can be done short of replacing the entire dash. Or dash cover.
Old 08-11-17, 10:35 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Phamkq
Worse case scenario - mothers back to black if it's not sticky and just a discolored area

how does that work? is it paint?
Old 08-11-17, 10:36 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
You're pretty much SOL. I had a mark on my IS350 dash, and there's basically nothing that can be done short of replacing the entire dash. Or dash cover.

was yours also a adhesive residue mark?
Old 08-11-17, 11:03 AM
Phamkq
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eman27
how does that work? is it paint?
Exactly how to apply polish. You rub it on, leave it for a good 5 minutes and then you buff off with a microfiber.

It's usually meant for exterior but I don't see why it couldn't be for interior as it's for plastics
Old 08-11-17, 11:40 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by eman27
was yours also a adhesive residue mark?
No, I just happened to rub it once with my finger, and left a mark.
Old 08-13-17, 11:45 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a clean toothbrush and use some auto glass cleaner on the smeared stain, and wipe off w a microfibre cloth. Repeat a few more times, then apply a dash cleaner like Meguiar's interior dash wipe. See if tha helps; a bit of agitating w a brush often helps, and the aut glas cleaner has a mild residue-reducng effect. You can use foaming glass cleaner too.
Old 08-15-17, 06:22 PM
audioqueso
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dashboard is not leather, but some kind of leather like material. However, I have used this process on imitation leather.
So this may not work perfectly, but here is my suggestion:

Take your time!!

1) Water and microfiber cloth.
Magic sponge will definitely work, but it will also remove artificial colors. So use a microfiber cloth, dab it in water, and rub on it lightly. Do this a lot. Don't rush it, and don't rub too hard.

2) Finish this up with Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner by Leather Honey. First, test these products on some part of the dash that can't be seen. Perhaps some place like the side part of the dashboard where the door close on.
Add a small dab of the leather cleaner on a microfiber cloth. Rub in circles, lightly.

3) Leather Conditioner by Leather Honey
If your dashboard is left with a lighten colored area, I recommend to use this leather conditioner. This product WILL darken your leather or imitation leather.
Add a small dab on a clean microfiber cloth.
This part is very important.. as soon as you apply the cloth to the dashboard, rub in circles to the area that you want to darken right away. Even 1 second of a pause will make that spot obvious once the conditioner dries. If you can, test out the condition on some other leather item so you can see what I'm talking about.
Do just one coat. Wait one day to see the finish results. If you need to darken it more, apply a second coat on the second day.
This does work for matching the right kind of shade, but it does take time because each coat should be given a day to dry.

If you choose to try this out, take your time. If you want perfect results, do not rush it.
Old 08-16-17, 11:51 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Best advice... do not listen to any of the suggestions here. Take it to a professional detailer.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! cant get adhesive residue off dashboard