IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Another Windshield post - Sorry

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 09:30 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Another Windshield post - Sorry

Has anyone been successful with getting Lexus to replace the ****ty windshield glass? If you have not, have you gone through insurance to get it done? I have 6K miles on my car and it's just over 10 months old. It has at least 35 chips and pitmarks in it.
Old 08-14-17, 10:31 AM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a long crack on my windshield. I went to the dealer and they wanted almost 1k for it. However my service advisor told my that the dealer would not really do it, but 3rd party. So he actually suggest me that it would be cheaper for me to do it outside, just make sure I get the decent windshield. I ended up getting Pilkington glass and paid $500 cash because my deductible was the same amount. That's my story, hope it helps.
Old 08-14-17, 10:48 AM
BostonIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my windshield replaced through my insurance cause it had 3 pits and then the final nail in the coffin was a rock hitting it and a giant crack across the glass. I opted to get OEM glass and it cost me $500 for my deductible. I saw the final invoice and they estimated at about $900 if it was straight through them. Dealership estimated at $1k+ but doubt we'll ever be able to make a warranty claim on the windshield.
Old 08-14-17, 10:50 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BostonIS
Got my windshield replaced through my insurance cause it had 3 pits and then the final nail in the coffin was a rock hitting it and a giant crack across the glass. I opted to get OEM glass and it cost me $500 for my deductible. I saw the final invoice and they estimated at about $900 if it was straight through them. Dealership estimated at $1k+ but doubt we'll ever be able to make a warranty claim on the windshield.
How long ago was the new glass installed? Is it pitted and chipped again?
Old 08-14-17, 02:33 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I got a small crack in my windshield a couple of weeks ago thanks to a gravel truck going over expansion joints... But I got it fixed at Safelite for $100-ish. I'm interested to see where this thread goes, since that's two cracks I have had in less than a year.

Now I just avoid dump trucks like the plague. If I see one I will literally stay 50+ yards away. It was scary when that rock hit - it was a big one. What sucks is here in KC there are quite a few quarries, so those trucks are not uncommon.
Old 08-14-17, 04:45 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 250 Posts

If something hits the windshield glass you dont think it will possible break?
This issue is generally with all cars and not just IS specific.

Just try not to follow semi trucks closely. thats what I have learned
Old 08-14-17, 04:58 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE

Honestly... the second one, the big rock, wasn't surprising to me. What bugged me was the first incident - I still have no idea what did it. I don't even drive on the highway much, just happened to notice it washing the car.
Old 08-14-17, 06:45 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 2017 fsport for only 7 months and its got dozens of little pits/specks.
seems like this is a widespread issue and completely unacceptable....
how can lexus not do anything about this? and yet still continue to use the same fragile glass in all the new cars?
is there something we can do as a group to file a formal complaint to lexus about this?
Old 08-14-17, 08:23 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I have tons of pits on mine. If under the right sunlight, the windshield looks sand blasted. I used to be so **** about it, now I just don't care. Just hope it doesn't get bulls-eyes or cracks.*Knock on wood*

I just think Lexus Glass is too soft, if you want stronger glass, you should probably go after market. Can't vouch for fitment, durability, and sound proofing.
Old 08-14-17, 09:19 PM
350eyeS
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2015 IS doesn't seem any more susceptible to pitting than other car's I''ve owned. However, like the previous poster, under the right lighting conditions (low sunrise/sunset) the glass shows dozens of 'chevron' shapes per square inch embedded in the glass. That adds up to thousands of these tiny bright 'stars' that lightup on the front windshield. Very annoying when already facing a bright sun rise. This is in the glass probably sandwiched between the layers and not on the outside so it's not pitting. These 'chevrons' are also on all the windows, side, back.
I took a video with my phone and showed it to the customer rep who showed it to the service guy and they said I was seeing 'reflections' from my dash. I knew I wasn't going to get any break from them so I live with it like the other poster.
Anyone else see these 'thousands of stars' like patterns but only when the sun is very low and the background is darker? They are every where across the glass.
Old 08-14-17, 10:31 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've had my car for almost 4 years now, and i don't have any on my windshield. and i drive a lot on the 605 fwy in la
Old 08-15-17, 09:48 AM
arruda89
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Driving my car on i95 moving to FL, two rocks came out of no where and caused about a penny size and a quarter size chip directly in front of the driver side. Safelite said they could repair it, but I would still be able to tell it was there.

Long story short, I got my windshield replaced 2 weeks ago by Safelite. Insurance covered $500, and I had to pay the remaining balance for the Lexus windshield. Of course I want OEM. So they quoted me $613 for OEM windshield, So I paid about 120 out of pocket.
Old 08-15-17, 10:56 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arruda89
Driving my car on i95 moving to FL, two rocks came out of no where and caused about a penny size and a quarter size chip directly in front of the driver side. Safelite said they could repair it, but I would still be able to tell it was there.

Long story short, I got my windshield replaced 2 weeks ago by Safelite. Insurance covered $500, and I had to pay the remaining balance for the Lexus windshield. Of course I want OEM. So they quoted me $613 for OEM windshield, So I paid about 120 out of pocket.
How did you get it for so cheap?
Old 08-15-17, 10:57 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by specONE

This is def Lexus related, not IS related. My daughter now owns my previous 2006 VW Passat with over 100K miles on it. That windshield is 10x better then my 6K mile Lexus.
Old 08-15-17, 10:58 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 350eyeS
My 2015 IS doesn't seem any more susceptible to pitting than other car's I''ve owned. However, like the previous poster, under the right lighting conditions (low sunrise/sunset) the glass shows dozens of 'chevron' shapes per square inch embedded in the glass. That adds up to thousands of these tiny bright 'stars' that lightup on the front windshield. Very annoying when already facing a bright sun rise. This is in the glass probably sandwiched between the layers and not on the outside so it's not pitting. These 'chevrons' are also on all the windows, side, back.
I took a video with my phone and showed it to the customer rep who showed it to the service guy and they said I was seeing 'reflections' from my dash. I knew I wasn't going to get any break from them so I live with it like the other poster.
Anyone else see these 'thousands of stars' like patterns but only when the sun is very low and the background is darker? They are every where across the glass.
I know what you are talking about. I see the same thing. Im referring to the chips in the glass.

Quick Reply: Another Windshield post - Sorry