IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Does anyone else notice the paint for our cars are super thin/cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 08:01 PM
r2digital
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does anyone else notice the paint for our cars are super thin/cheap?

I have a black 14' is350 Fsport and i always take care of my cars and maintain them very well. I feel like the paint on these cars scratch very very easy, every day i walk out to my car and i find a new scratch. Today, i happened to be working out side and noticed a bird **** on my car(couldnt have been there for longer than an hour or two.) I went to get some meguairs car wash and washed it off with a micro fiber sponge. Well come to find out there's now two etch marks from bird dropping on the roof of my car. WHAT GIVES LEXUS??? I love the car but geeze its stuff like this that makes me want to trade it in. Some one put my mind at ease and tell me im not going crazy and the lexus paint is lousy
Old 08-01-17, 08:55 PM
gnawhdivad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have black is250 and i have so many rock chips on my front hood and fenders. Lately all new cars tend to have really thin paint/environment friendly paint.
Our front windshield gets rock chips really easily too..
Old 08-01-17, 09:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Haven't noticed thin paint on my older IS. After nine years on the road with a low F-Sport suspension, the front is in excellent condition. A bird crap can really do damage even with thick paint. Depends what the bird ate.
Old 08-01-17, 09:43 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by r2digital
I have a black 14' is350 Fsport and i always take care of my cars and maintain them very well. I feel like the paint on these cars scratch very very easy, every day i walk out to my car and i find a new scratch. Today, i happened to be working out side and noticed a bird **** on my car(couldnt have been there for longer than an hour or two.) I went to get some meguairs car wash and washed it off with a micro fiber sponge. Well come to find out there's now two etch marks from bird dropping on the roof of my car. WHAT GIVES LEXUS??? I love the car but geeze its stuff like this that makes me want to trade it in. Some one put my mind at ease and tell me im not going crazy and the lexus paint is lousy
I was just telling my co worker this same exact story about my car today..
Old 08-01-17, 10:13 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

It is soft indeed. I have a few doezen rock chips on my front bumper.

Bird poo not as much, but I do get TONS of yellow dot like stuff on my car. I'm guessing its either BEE POO or POLLEN? I cannot say for sure, but it does wash off easily, sometimes may leave a light yellow stain, but can be buffed off easily. IF ANYONE KNOW WHAT THESE YELLOW DOTS ON MY CAR IS PLEASE ADVISE!

I have a white car... so every little thing.. dirt, rock chips, containment will show.
Old 08-01-17, 11:09 PM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think its just like any other environmentally friendly factory paint that's out there now. I have a black car also, it's black, what did you expect?
Old 08-02-17, 08:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I have some detailing tips here: http://www.e46mango.com/2016/03/mang...tips-what.html

But as far as the paint on the IS, I love mine! Some of the best paint I've come across. I've had my car a year. Zero scratches.

You all should use a good quality durable wax. This is what I use and it's known in the detailing world to be hard as nails durable! http://amzn.to/2uZmlTt
The following users liked this post:
wftreg (08-06-17)
Old 08-02-17, 10:50 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
This video might bee your answer.
Holy shlt, thank you!
I've been wondering what that crap was for 2 years.
Old 08-02-17, 11:03 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

No more bee on the east coast so no worries thr
Old 08-02-17, 11:07 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
This video might bee your answer.
LOL, is there a product to keep them off my car?!

There is something about a clean-just washed-white-car that attracts these little fkers. I just added a layer of sealant last week, hopefully it makes them easier to come off.
Old 08-03-17, 12:26 PM
xsrhaym
Driver School Candidate

Same here. My front bumper is covered in rock chips. I have a black non-F Sport model and as soon as the rock chips become unbearable, I plan to swap the front bumper with an F Sport one. Regarding the paint scratching easily, I just got several gnarly scratches after trying to clean off some bird poop. As for my windshield, I have two chips (one large, and one small) and many, many pits.
Old 08-04-17, 03:49 PM
kup125
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by r2digital
I could not agree more. Its the clearcoat Toyota/Lexus use the wives Highlander is the same way. Really pisses me off! Try a clear bra if its not to late.
Old 08-04-17, 08:35 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Nothing they can do. Car manufactures have to follow environmental regulations and that is causing the paint to be softer on newer cars. This is not only issue on Toyota/Lexus vehicles, all car brands face this.

My past 2004 Lexus IS300 paint was very durable but that was a car manufacturer years ago when it wasn't as strict
Old 08-05-17, 02:37 AM
lew_b
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
Nothing they can do. Car manufactures have to follow environmental regulations and that is causing the paint to be softer on newer cars. This is not only issue on Toyota/Lexus vehicles, all car brands face this.

My past 2004 Lexus IS300 paint was very durable but that was a car manufacturer years ago when it wasn't as strict
I had a 2004 IS also. The front was a mess with rock chips. I refused to take delivery of my '17 IS300 until they had installed a clear bra.
Old 08-05-17, 05:58 AM
MilkMonstr
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have noticed the easily scratched and chipped paint on my..yup black 14 lol. On one portion of my fender the paint almost looks like it resprayed as at certain angles you can see coverage isnt complete; I dont think it was resprayed though.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else notice the paint for our cars are super thin/cheap?