Coilover Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 05:38 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Coilover Suggestions

Hi everyone!

So, I know nothing about coilovers but I'm looking to have some installed on my car which is currently lowered on RS*R Down Springs. So, I'm asking for help in that I need people to point me in the right direction. Are Tein any good? What about Megan Racing? Tanabe? BC? RS*R? I want to stay under $2k.

I'm looking to keep my drop right now on RS*R Down Springs while also keeping a comfortable ride. So perhaps another RS*R product? I've been happy with their down lowering springs thus far. Anyhow, all suggestions are welcomed!

Last edited by davyjordi; 08-01-17 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-01-17, 07:03 AM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Go for BC Racing. You will be pleased.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (08-01-17)
Old 08-01-17, 07:11 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mjh09e
Go for BC Racing. You will be pleased.
thank you!
Old 08-01-17, 07:13 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

hi all,

so, i have another question: are the springs that are installed removed along with the old stock shocks or are they retained? i have rs*r down springs on my car at the moment, but have f-sport lowering springs as well that are as close to stock as i'm going to get because i no longer have the stock springs.

thanks!
Old 08-01-17, 09:30 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

When you do coilovers, the springs and shocks get replaced.
Old 08-01-17, 10:05 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by specONE
When you do coilovers, the springs and shocks get replaced.
wait, at the same time? or you remove the springs and shocks and the coilover takes their place?
Old 08-01-17, 10:19 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

What is the reason to switch to coils if you want to keep the same ride height as RSR?
If you're looking for a semi-comfortable ride on coilovers, you're not going to find it. If this car is your daily driver, coilovers will have more cons than pros. The pros are further lowering potential and responsive handling provided by the stiff suspension setup. The bad thing is that the stiff suspension will be rough on the road. You will feel every insignificant bump, but that's the price of a sport suspension. There is also the alignment issue which will result in accelerated tire wear. It is really hard to get the alignment correct on coils. The coilovers will last between 35k-45k depending on driving conditions, then you will need to have it rebuilt or replaced.
I rode on coils for almost 10 years in my twenties and went through 3 different sets. It was fun, but i'm too old for that now.
If you've never driven on coils, I suggest you try it out first before taking the plunge.
Old 08-01-17, 10:20 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Coilovers take the place of the shocks and the shocks.

Let me know when you want to replace those springs.

That was fast..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-01-17, 10:26 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Coilovers take the place of the shocks and the shocks.

Let me know when you want to replace those springs.

That was fast..

-Josh
yeah, that was super fast. i want to keep my car for a long time and i was worried about the springs potentially damaging the rest of the suspension prematurely and then having costly bills to attend to. i guess what i have done thus far wasn't really low on cash, but i'll feel much better about it all.

i wound up buying some RS*R coilovers in order to take the place of the lowering springs. i didn't know you sold what i was looking for and i've already bought them. but you know well enough that i've caught the mod bug and something or another will be itching me to replace or modify.
Old 08-01-17, 10:29 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 600rr
What is the reason to switch to coils if you want to keep the same ride height as RSR?
If you're looking for a semi-comfortable ride on coilovers, you're not going to find it. If this car is your daily driver, coilovers will have more cons than pros. The pros are further lowering potential and responsive handling provided by the stiff suspension setup. The bad thing is that the stiff suspension will be rough on the road. You will feel every insignificant bump, but that's the price of a sport suspension. There is also the alignment issue which will result in accelerated tire wear. It is really hard to get the alignment correct on coils. The coilovers will last between 35k-45k depending on driving conditions, then you will need to have it rebuilt or replaced.
I rode on coils for almost 10 years in my twenties and went through 3 different sets. It was fun, but i'm too old for that now.
If you've never driven on coils, I suggest you try it out first before taking the plunge.
thanks for your informative response. as i told josh from meraki autoworks, i am going the coilover route to avoid premature wear on the remaining suspension pieces. it really isn't ideal to be on springs forever and as i'm going to keep this car for a while before purchasing another, i want to make sure that everything is going to last a decent amount of time. lastly, i've driven in (but not driven) cars that have been lowered on coilovers. while the ride wasn't stock smooth, it wasn't terribly harsh either.
Old 08-01-17, 01:02 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr
^^ +1, that pretty much sums its up. At the end of the day, lowering a car is lowering a car, no matter the method, if wear is going to occur on the other components, it's going to occur whether you're on springs or coilovers.
And then there's that hassle of getting them rebuilt...guess what happens when they are being rebuilt, the car can't be driven.
Old 08-01-17, 01:04 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
^^ +1, that pretty much sums its up. At the end of the day, lowering a car is lowering a car, no matter the method, if wear is going to occur on the other components, it's going to occur whether you're on springs or coilovers.
And then there's that hassle of getting them rebuilt...guess what happens when they are being rebuilt, the car can't be driven.
i just can't win...
Old 08-01-17, 01:12 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i just can't win...
stick with the springs and keep the money for other stuff if you're going to daily drive the car and never track it...that's pretty much the win!
Old 08-01-17, 01:43 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Old 08-01-17, 01:44 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

that guy is pretty well-reputed. i'd trust him over people who aren't in the know.

Quick Reply: Coilover Suggestions