IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F-sport brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 03:11 AM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default F-sport brakes

Does anyone know if the NON F-Sport brake pads will fit on an F-Sport? I'm really tired of the squeeling and the all the brake dust. Plus, I just don't like them. They're not linear at all. Initial bite is great, but once you slow past 20 they damn near lock up and send your passenger through the windshield. I'm willing to sacrifice some bite for a cleaner, quieter, more predictable brakepad.

Anyone switched over?
Old 07-30-17, 03:17 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Turismo
Does anyone know if the NON F-Sport brake pads will fit on an F-Sport? I'm really tired of the squeeling and the all the brake dust. Plus, I just don't like them. They're not linear at all. Initial bite is great, but once you slow past 20 they damn near lock up and send your passenger through the windshield. I'm willing to sacrifice some bite for a cleaner, quieter, more predictable brakepad.

Anyone switched over?
Yes sir it will fit

IS350 ( F & NON F )
IS200T ( F & NON F )
GS250/350 ( F & NON F )
GS200T ( F & NON F )

They all share same Front pads.

I suggest you to buy Akebono ceramic pads they last long + no dust at all

Part No for the front is : ACT1118

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Lex_Giorgio (07-30-17)
Old 07-30-17, 03:42 AM
Turismo
Pit Crew

That's surprising, I though I recall reading that the F-Sports got more aggressive brakes. I couldn't imagine a 3is luxury/base owner dealing with such noisy brakes.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check out those ceramics!
Old 07-30-17, 07:46 PM
drdreydel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would suggest trying to re-bed the pads (looks up brake pad bedding if you're not familiar). The F-sport does use a more aggressive pad than non-f sport. Switching to Akebonos should resolve the grabbiness if you're struggling to modulate. They definitely have less initial bite but also slightly worse performance.
Old 07-30-17, 09:40 PM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Picked up some akebonos, front and rear.
Honestly, the ABS is so overly intrusive on these cars I'm not really concerned with the slight decrease in performance. I think the ABS would negate that anyway when it comes to stopping distance. I only wish that was adjustable...
Old 07-31-17, 03:40 AM
drdreydel
Driver School Candidate

The other thing is that new pads mean you've got a bit less brake pedal travel which might take some adjustments.

I've taken mine to one HPDE day and can attest that the abs lets you get really deep into the brakes before coming in. They work quite well and I didn't even encounter serious fade despite how heavy the car is. Lexus really paid attention to the front brake design with plenty of cooling (that's why there are no fog lights, those ducts are functional) to keep fade to a minimum. The f-sport is not just a poser package 😁.

Personally I would much rather have a firm, responsive, and confidence inspiring brake pedal than the mush that most manufacturers seem to be putting in mainstream cars these days.
​​​​​​
Old 07-31-17, 05:20 PM
crazyjeys
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mesh704
Yes sir it will fit

IS350 ( F & NON F )
IS200T ( F & NON F )
GS250/350 ( F & NON F )
GS200T ( F & NON F )

They all share same Front pads.

I suggest you to buy Akebono ceramic pads they last long + no dust at all

Part No for the front is : ACT1118

Good luck
sorry, i'm pretty new to the game... i see some IS that have single piston caliper upfront and mine (seems like a 4 piston, correct me if i'm wrong) are using the same pads? i have a 2015 IS350 F-sport btw.
Old 07-31-17, 08:41 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyjeys
sorry, i'm pretty new to the game... i see some IS that have single piston caliper upfront and mine (seems like a 4 piston, correct me if i'm wrong) are using the same pads? i have a 2015 IS350 F-sport btw.
The IS250 uses the single poston front caliper and a different pad than the rest.
They don't make the 250 anymore, so what is currently available for 2017 is the same design.
Old 07-31-17, 08:59 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drdreydel
The other thing is that new pads mean you've got a bit less brake pedal travel which might take some adjustments.

I've taken mine to one HPDE day and can attest that the abs lets you get really deep into the brakes before coming in. They work quite well and I didn't even encounter serious fade despite how heavy the car is. Lexus really paid attention to the front brake design with plenty of cooling (that's why there are no fog lights, those ducts are functional) to keep fade to a minimum. The f-sport is not just a poser package 😁.

Personally I would much rather have a firm, responsive, and confidence inspiring brake pedal than the mush that most manufacturers seem to be putting in mainstream cars these days.
​​​​​​
My answer from Lexus:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. Your concern is important to Lexus, and we appreciate the time you have taken to email us.

"The 2014 IS 350 F Sport boasts a distinct full-faced mesh grille and larger cooling ducts to help reduce brake fade. The smaller ducts are nonfunctional and simply cosmetic. Please refer to the following link for further information on the design of the 2014 IS 350 F Sport, http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/explore/"
Old 08-01-17, 11:23 PM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the feel of the F-Sport brake pads but they are quite dusty.

I am going to try a set of HAWK HPS
Old 08-02-17, 12:25 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,582 Posts

See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-or-less.html

Get the low friction Lexus blue pads.

For me, I chose high friction Lexus pads.

I want high stopping power
I want extreme dust
I want noise
Old 08-16-17, 05:47 PM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Been driving with the new Akebono pads for a week now, and wow, soooo much better! Initial bite is a bit less, which im fine with, because theyre so much more linear and predictable. Stopping power is still more than adequate. And already I notice the lack of brake dust on my wheels. They stay clean for longer than a day lol.
But best of all, NO MORE SQUEELING RACE CAR BRAKES every time I stop! Makes it feel so much more like a luxury sedan.
Thanks for the recommend! 👍😁
Old 08-16-17, 06:03 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by drdreydel
... Lexus really paid attention to the front brake design with plenty of cooling (that's why there are no fog lights, those ducts are functional) to keep fade to a minimum. The f-sport is not just a poser package 😁. ...
Originally Posted by Larry96815
My answer from Lexus: Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. ... "The 2014 IS 350 F Sport boasts a distinct full-faced mesh grille and larger cooling ducts to help reduce brake fade. The smaller ducts are nonfunctional and simply cosmetic. Please refer to the following link for further information on the design of the 2014 IS 350 F Sport, ...
The 2nd post seems to refer to 2014 models. Are they made to be "functional" in later years? THANKS!!
Old 08-16-17, 08:31 PM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LaZeR
The 2nd post seems to refer to 2014 models. Are they made to be "functional" in later years? THANKS!!
For the 2014-2016 f sport, the brake cooling ducts are the larger openings directly on either side of the "spindle" grill. The openings that are large enough to get your hand in.
The tiny openings in the plastic piece where the fog lights would be is not functional. It leads no where. If you install aftermarket or JDM foglights as myself and many others have you will see that.

I do not know about the 2017, since the bumper is remodeled and no longer has the fog light holes.
Old 08-16-17, 11:04 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turismo
For the 2014-2016 f sport, the brake cooling ducts are the larger openings directly on either side of the "spindle" grill. The openings that are large enough to get your hand in.
The tiny openings in the plastic piece where the fog lights would be is not functional. It leads no where. If you install aftermarket or JDM foglights as myself and many others have you will see that.

I do not know about the 2017, since the bumper is remodeled and no longer has the fog light holes.
I think the smaller holes are there to slow us down. We spend millions on aerodynamic testing and then put on a non functional scoop to catch air.

Quick Reply: F-sport brakes