Paint protection wrap

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17, 12:19 AM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Paint protection wrap

Hi Guys,

Do anyone of you guys know how i can tell if my car has paint protection wrap? I got the paint protect package from my lexus dealer when i brought the car new and got one of their 500 dollar paint protect package. The paint protection doesn't seem to do jack as i am getting chips swirl marks so i want to make sure it was done. In addition, anyone got the package and know if it's only applied to the hood or on the front bumper and fenders too? Thanks.
Old 07-29-17, 03:00 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another dealer scam

Originally Posted by minhael
I got the paint protect package from my lexus dealer when i brought the car new and got one of their 500 dollar paint protect package. The paint protection doesn't seem to do jack...
That's because a) the dealer scammed you into paying $500 for a paint sealant (assuming they even bothered to apply it...), b) there isn't any "protection" in this package other than the protection of the dealer's profit margin, and c) you didn't read the details of the $500 package before you bought it.

Sorry, but next time skip the dealer's profit-padding packages and either put the money in the bank for later touch-up and repairs, or if you really want paint protection wrap then find a good aftermarket installer that won't rip you off.

Disappointed? Me too - very disappointed in my Lexus purchasing experience - I was under the impression that Lexus dealers were a cut above the average scammy car dealership, but it turns out that - in my experience(s) anyway - they are not.
Old 07-29-17, 10:58 AM
minhael
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
That's because a) the dealer scammed you into paying $500 for a paint sealant (assuming they even bothered to apply it...), b) there isn't any "protection" in this package other than the protection of the dealer's profit margin, and c) you didn't read the details of the $500 package before you bought it.

Sorry, but next time skip the dealer's profit-padding packages and either put the money in the bank for later touch-up and repairs, or if you really want paint protection wrap then find a good aftermarket installer that won't rip you off.

Disappointed? Me too - very disappointed in my Lexus purchasing experience - I was under the impression that Lexus dealers were a cut above the average scammy car dealership, but it turns out that - in my experience(s) anyway - they are not.

Yeah man...my experience with the Lexus dealership here in Canada is not too good. I was expecting better service. Anyway, i am going to go to a detailer and get the paint protection wrap.
Old 07-29-17, 11:38 AM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I work at a detail shop and we upcharge the hell out of that kind of stuff. Sealant works great for repelling water and small things like that. When it comes to rock chips get a clear bra or ceramic pro. Sealant is pretty much wax on steroids
Old 07-29-17, 03:26 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Lveyolfe
I work at a detail shop and we upcharge the hell out of that kind of stuff. Sealant works great for repelling water and small things like that. When it comes to rock chips get a clear bra or ceramic pro. Sealant is pretty much wax on steroids
a sealant won't protect from rock chips. if you're looking to avoid rock chips on your finish then you should have paint protection film installed. xpel is installed on my car and i love it -- looks like the car is new.
Old 07-29-17, 04:17 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by davyjordi
a sealant won't protect from rock chips. if you're looking to avoid rock chips on your finish then you should have paint protection film installed. xpel is installed on my car and i love it -- looks like the car is new.
Thats what I said haha sealant doesn't do crap for rock chips
Old 07-29-17, 05:24 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Lveyolfe
Thats what I said haha sealant doesn't do crap for rock chips
oops. sorry, man, i read something totally different. haha
Old 07-29-17, 05:53 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

oops. sorry, man, i read something totally different. haha
Hehe it's okay, I forgive you
Old 07-29-17, 09:20 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Yup...I am thinking of getting expel on my hood and front bumper.
Old 07-29-17, 09:36 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

For $500... you basically paid for a wax/sealant job or from the dealership...
Old 07-29-17, 11:28 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

You have to get the 3M protector. I've had it on 5 cars and it's worth every penny. It's $599+ taxes installed at Lexus for a portion of the hood, fenders and mirrors.
Old 07-30-17, 09:58 AM
minhael
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
You have to get the 3M protector. I've had it on 5 cars and it's worth every penny. It's $599+ taxes installed at Lexus for a portion of the hood, fenders and mirrors.

Does Lexus offer the package or you brought your own 3M protector and got them to install it for you?
Old 07-30-17, 12:29 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Does Lexus offer the package or you brought your own 3M protector and got them to install it for you?
There are plenty of 3M approved installers who can install the protector for you; no need to pay dealer prices to get it done by someone who doesn't specialize in it.
The following users liked this post:
minhael (07-30-17)
Old 07-30-17, 05:43 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Lexus offers it and provides the same warranty as if you were to go elsewhere. They end up calling an installer over to do the job, it's not done by a dedicated Lexus employee.
Old 07-30-17, 06:36 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
Lexus offers it and provides the same warranty as if you were to go elsewhere. They end up calling an installer over to do the job, it's not done by a dedicated Lexus employee.
Thanks George for the info. I will check it out with my dealership.