Paint protection wrap - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Paint protection wrap

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-17, 01:19 AM   #1
minhael
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 205
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default Paint protection wrap

Hi Guys,


Do anyone of you guys know how i can tell if my car has paint protection wrap? I got the paint protect package from my lexus dealer when i brought the car new and got one of their 500 dollar paint protect package. The paint protection doesn't seem to do jack as i am getting chips swirl marks so i want to make sure it was done. In addition, anyone got the package and know if it's only applied to the hood or on the front bumper and fenders too? Thanks.
minhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 04:00 AM   #2
LeapFrog
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida - Tampa Bay
Posts: 325
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default Another dealer scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhael View Post
I got the paint protect package from my lexus dealer when i brought the car new and got one of their 500 dollar paint protect package. The paint protection doesn't seem to do jack...
That's because a) the dealer scammed you into paying $500 for a paint sealant (assuming they even bothered to apply it...), b) there isn't any "protection" in this package other than the protection of the dealer's profit margin, and c) you didn't read the details of the $500 package before you bought it.

Sorry, but next time skip the dealer's profit-padding packages and either put the money in the bank for later touch-up and repairs, or if you really want paint protection wrap then find a good aftermarket installer that won't rip you off.

Disappointed? Me too - very disappointed in my Lexus purchasing experience - I was under the impression that Lexus dealers were a cut above the average scammy car dealership, but it turns out that - in my experience(s) anyway - they are not.
LeapFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 11:58 AM   #3
minhael
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 205
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapFrog View Post
That's because a) the dealer scammed you into paying $500 for a paint sealant (assuming they even bothered to apply it...), b) there isn't any "protection" in this package other than the protection of the dealer's profit margin, and c) you didn't read the details of the $500 package before you bought it.

Sorry, but next time skip the dealer's profit-padding packages and either put the money in the bank for later touch-up and repairs, or if you really want paint protection wrap then find a good aftermarket installer that won't rip you off.

Disappointed? Me too - very disappointed in my Lexus purchasing experience - I was under the impression that Lexus dealers were a cut above the average scammy car dealership, but it turns out that - in my experience(s) anyway - they are not.

Yeah man...my experience with the Lexus dealership here in Canada is not too good. I was expecting better service. Anyway, i am going to go to a detailer and get the paint protection wrap.
minhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 12:38 PM   #4
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 418
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I work at a detail shop and we upcharge the hell out of that kind of stuff. Sealant works great for repelling water and small things like that. When it comes to rock chips get a clear bra or ceramic pro. Sealant is pretty much wax on steroids
Lveyolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 04:26 PM   #5
davyjordi
Lexus Champion
 
davyjordi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Temecula, California / Barcelona, Catalunya
Posts: 1,971
Thanked 47 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lveyolfe View Post
I work at a detail shop and we upcharge the hell out of that kind of stuff. Sealant works great for repelling water and small things like that. When it comes to rock chips get a clear bra or ceramic pro. Sealant is pretty much wax on steroids
a sealant won't protect from rock chips. if you're looking to avoid rock chips on your finish then you should have paint protection film installed. xpel is installed on my car and i love it -- looks like the car is new.
davyjordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 05:17 PM   #6
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 418
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyjordi View Post
a sealant won't protect from rock chips. if you're looking to avoid rock chips on your finish then you should have paint protection film installed. xpel is installed on my car and i love it -- looks like the car is new.
Thats what I said haha sealant doesn't do crap for rock chips
Lveyolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 06:24 PM   #7
davyjordi
Lexus Champion
 
davyjordi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Temecula, California / Barcelona, Catalunya
Posts: 1,971
Thanked 47 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lveyolfe View Post
Thats what I said haha sealant doesn't do crap for rock chips
oops. sorry, man, i read something totally different. haha
davyjordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 06:53 PM   #8
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 418
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyjordi View Post
oops. sorry, man, i read something totally different. haha
Hehe it's okay, I forgive you
Lveyolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 10:20 PM   #9
minhael
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 205
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyjordi View Post
a sealant won't protect from rock chips. if you're looking to avoid rock chips on your finish then you should have paint protection film installed. xpel is installed on my car and i love it -- looks like the car is new.

Yup...I am thinking of getting expel on my hood and front bumper.
minhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 10:36 PM   #10
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1,371
Thanked 48 Times in 44 Posts
Default

For $500... you basically paid for a wax/sealant job or from the dealership...
nathantse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 12:28 AM   #11
GeorgeR
Lead Lap
 
GeorgeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 522
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

You have to get the 3M protector. I've had it on 5 cars and it's worth every penny. It's $599+ taxes installed at Lexus for a portion of the hood, fenders and mirrors.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 10:58 AM   #12
minhael
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 205
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
You have to get the 3M protector. I've had it on 5 cars and it's worth every penny. It's $599+ taxes installed at Lexus for a portion of the hood, fenders and mirrors.

Does Lexus offer the package or you brought your own 3M protector and got them to install it for you?
minhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 01:29 PM   #13
dchar
Lexus Champion
 
dchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,822
Thanked 143 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhael View Post
Does Lexus offer the package or you brought your own 3M protector and got them to install it for you?
There are plenty of 3M approved installers who can install the protector for you; no need to pay dealer prices to get it done by someone who doesn't specialize in it.
dchar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dchar For This Useful Post:
minhael (07-30-17)
Old 07-30-17, 06:43 PM   #14
GeorgeR
Lead Lap
 
GeorgeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 522
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhael View Post
Does Lexus offer the package or you brought your own 3M protector and got them to install it for you?
Lexus offers it and provides the same warranty as if you were to go elsewhere. They end up calling an installer over to do the job, it's not done by a dedicated Lexus employee.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 07:36 PM   #15
minhael
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 205
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Lexus offers it and provides the same warranty as if you were to go elsewhere. They end up calling an installer over to do the job, it's not done by a dedicated Lexus employee.
Thanks George for the info. I will check it out with my dealership.
minhael is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I "Rust Proof" my 2003 LS430 brought to Ontario? Isack4 LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) 18 12-26-17 12:28 PM
Xpel Paint Protection Film Dr. Jekyll LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) 25 08-27-17 01:05 AM
Lexus Paint Protection Question minhael IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) 4 06-06-17 06:44 PM
New rcF owner mpatel0413 RC F (2015-present) 25 11-06-16 11:27 AM
Exterior/Interior protection SRC350F GS - 4th Gen (2013-present) 4 04-24-16 11:33 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: