IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dear Canadians ~ Why Not Just Get the Model You Want??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 12:28 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Lightbulb Dear Canadians ~ Why Not Just Get the Model You Want??

Dear Canadians, JUST CURIOUS, if FSport RWD is scarce, or not readily available in your locale, nor other models/features unavailable in Canada, why not just get the car you want in the USA?

Contact some dealers, sellers, etc, (near the border is easier but Low/Non-Tax states are cheaper), select a car, (arrange financing or a loan INSIDE Canada), go pick up the car, drive it back, pay Duty & Taxes, (get it registered Federally & Provincially), and voila > you’re done with the model you want!!

Also, Lexus Canada should honor (“honour” for Canadians) current warranties based solely on VIN. Once again, JUST CURIOUS... THANKS!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-28-17 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-28-17, 01:02 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Although in theory it works well, but in practice, it might be slightly more difficult. I've heard of dealers turning people away if they know you're buying to import to Canada. As well as, although mostly rumours, restrictions on some models or brands must be over a certain year before it can be imported. Now I have no idea whether any of it is true or not. It's just hear say.

Another problem is that hat with the dollar being so **** the past year, it just didn't make much sense to buy from the states. Or at least that's what my boss says
Old 07-28-17, 08:01 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

If it only it was so easy.

First off, you can forget about the warranty. It won't be honoured. Not really a big deal considering the reliability of Lexus.

Yes, there have been cases of dealers for other manufacturers refusing to sell to Canadians.

We do do have some laws about importing cars. It isn't that hard to do actually, www.riv.ca is the website to visit. It explains everything. But the taxes and duties can be killer.

And then there is the value of our dollar. While it is on the rise it is only worth 80 cents compared to the US.
Old 07-28-17, 08:36 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
...First off, you can forget about the warranty. It won't be honoured...
Not to be that guy, but the warranty will be honored...and vice versa, if an American owns a Canadian vehicle.
It's a little more paperwork because the selling region has to basically reimburse the region that made the claim.
Neither region is crazy about that, but they will honor the warranty...at the end of the day, Japan is the one really paying ALL the claims.
Old 07-28-17, 09:54 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Value of dollar is crap, otherwise you would see a bunch of people heading south to snap up cars!
A bunch of my friends imported cars from Texas when the dollar was Par, no rust issues or tax if you don't reside in the state!
Old 07-28-17, 09:55 AM
Crossxup11
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel like the vast majority of the Canadian market wants the AWD.

Having a rear wheel drive car in a Canadian winter is kinda taboo here.
Even though I fully agree that with winter tires it would be fine, when people see AWD drive it helps ease their mind which translates to more sales.
Old 07-28-17, 03:36 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crossxup11
I feel like the vast majority of the Canadian market wants the AWD. Having a rear wheel drive car in a Canadian winter is kinda taboo here.
IMO this is merely public perception/hype. The majority of CDN cars (i.e. all brands/models on roads) are FWD. One should get dedicated Winter/Snow Tires regardless, and with that, RWD is perfectly fine. Maybe Lexus (& possibly other manufacturers) are just playing it safe. Also, I think AWD tends to quite significantly increase curb weight, not to mention the use of more system resources, resulting in less fuel economy throughout the life of cars. Waste?

Even though I fully agree that with winter tires it would be fine, when people see AWD drive it helps ease their mind which translates to more sales.
Didn't Quebec mandate into law dedicated Winter/Snow Tires? I heard that Ontario might be following suit...

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-29-17 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 07:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

A loaded IS300 F Sport or luxury is $50k cdn before provincial/federal taxes. Reverse engineer that price and in the US the same car would have to be in the low $30K usd, far from the mid-40K usd price.
Old 07-29-17, 09:12 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
A loaded IS300 F Sport or luxury is $50k cdn before provincial/federal taxes. Reverse engineer that price and in the US the same car would have to be in the low $30K usd, far from the mid-40K usd price.
Well right now $50k CDN = $40.2k USD. In Ontario HST = 13% hiking that up to 56.5k CDN = 45.4k USD. If you're talking brand new the Delivery-Processing-Handling Fee on a new car is around $1,000 but let's ignore that for now.

With the USA being such a vastly huge market, I love Lexus CPO deals which can save ya $10k USD within the same year, low mileage, and with some creative haggling, Canadians can get the 350 RWD they want, so let's say for sake of argument/example for CPO you're now at $30k USD = $37.3k CDN before Duty & Taxes.

On another note, a new 2017 IS350 FSport + Mark Levinson + BSM approaches $50k USD, in California anyway, but other states are less. Wait 6 - 12 months for a return of Lease, and you can get the same CPO car for $40k.

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-29-17 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 11:02 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
IMO this is merely public perception/hype. The majority of CDN cars (i.e. all brands/models on roads) are FWD. One should get dedicated Winter/Snow Tires regardless, and with that, RWD is perfectly fine. Maybe Lexus (& possibly other manufacturers) are just playing it safe. Also, I think AWD tends to quite significantly increase curb weight, not to mention the use of more system resources, resulting in less fuel economy throughout the life of cars. Waste?

Didn't Quebec mandate into law dedicated Winter/Snow Tires? I heard that Ontario might be following suit...

Finally someone that agrees with putting a GOOD set of snow tires will do the job. And it seems that everybody forgets that Honda Civic's and Toyota Corolla's are FWD... they're doing just fine in the winter lol

I've said it numerous times, AWD is something they planted in people's minds as a MUST have for winter... Invest in a proper set of tires (i.e.: Nokian Hakkapeliitta) and enjoy your fuel savings with RWD

And yes, we do have the law in Quebec, but guess what, a lot of people cheap out and purchase the crappiest winter tire possible. If it has the snow flake on it, it's legal. That's all they care for. Funny enough, they put crap tires on the AWD cars and expect it to work fine in the winter...

Back to the topic, I'll ask my dealer if they can bring the car in for me, the next time I get one, since the 350 RWD would be next on the list, but it's AWD only over here

On a side note, the only RWD that we can get with the F Sport trim is the IS 200T.
Old 07-30-17, 12:09 AM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
Finally someone that agrees with putting a GOOD set of snow tires will do the job. ... And yes, we do have the law in Quebec, but guess what, a lot of people cheap out and purchase the crappiest winter tire possible.
Sure get the best possible dedicated winter tires you can, but IMO even at Mont Tremblant or Whistler AVERAGE snow tires still do the trick, and even crappy ones if you throw a couple sand bags in the trunk In a few short months you swap back to your "All Seasons" anyway.

Back to the topic, I'll ask my dealer if they can bring the car in for me, the next time I get one, since the 350 RWD would be next on the list, but it's AWD only over here On a side note, the only RWD that we can get with the F Sport trim is the IS 200T.
​​Man o Man, imagine the overhead dealerships will demand for that!? Did you review the OP and the rest of the thread? lol Why not just go to Maine, Vermont, New York, or Pennsylvania?? Better yet, go on a "Car Buying Vacation" to Florida or Texas and save even more moola $$$ Conduct lotsa research in advance tho including AutoTrader and Private Sales...

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-30-17 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-30-17, 12:31 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tires are more important than the drive train. The funny thing is, the ones who often gets into accidents first is usually the people with AWD vehicles because they think they can drive like normal in winter conditions as if they are invincible because of it.

Lexus Canada did do special orders at one point in time but no longer did it since it was cost prohibitive for them to do so.

Do note, if you do import a US car, the temperature display will be in Fahrenheit and there is not a way to change it to Celsius, unless you are willing to spend the money to change the A/C ECU with the Canadian version (moderator Jeff Lange can confirm), which would not make it cost effective besides possible warranty implications. This is something that Lexus/Toyota should do and make it changeable like some other manufactures allow.

Fun fact: The SI system US uses is based on the metric system, so why is US converting something unnecessarily?

Last edited by Sango; 07-30-17 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-30-17, 12:50 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Because having RWD is not worth paying an extra 10 grand for. And RWD blows in the winter anyway. And you're not buying a Lexus as your nice summer toy, I'd get something cool and fun instead.
Old 07-30-17, 05:20 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't you mean AWD because RWD would cost less!

RWD is fine in the winter anyways and Jeff drives in it with his IS since he resides in Calgary.
Old 07-30-17, 05:41 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
Don't you mean AWD because RWD would cost less!

RWD is fine in the winter anyways and Jeff drives in it with his IS since he resides in Calgary.
My IS 250 was RWD and it did fine with Nokian tires. Again, it's all about the tire and adjusting your driving to the conditions.

Quick Reply: Dear Canadians ~ Why Not Just Get the Model You Want??