IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Hip and Back Pain

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 05:43 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Hip and Back Pain

Hello fellow 3IS owners, just curious, has anyone noticed right side hip and lower back discomfort/pain? I've had some right side flare-ups that I've never felt before to which I'm going to physio for, and it has occurred to me that maybe it's the seating in my IS350AWD because of the AWD hump and the fact that you can't splay right your legs out nor set them straight, and need to turn your lower legs inward to pivot between the gas pedal and brake pedal in a very unnatural position.

Would like members' inputs, particularly those who are new to a Lexus like I am. I am fairly slim and not overweight at all. I've done some search threads and a few ppl talked about the CT200 causing pain, but would love to hear from fellow IS owners.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-17, 08:15 AM
ArmaEdd
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a physical therapist and have them evaluate you. I doubt it's the car or your seating position. Most likely due to overall posture and musculature imbalances perhaps a minor herniation in your lower back causing inflammation or pinching a nerve.
Old 07-27-17, 08:29 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ArmaEdd
Go to a physical therapist and have them evaluate you. I doubt it's the car or your seating position. Most likely due to overall posture and musculature imbalances perhaps a minor herniation in your lower back causing inflammation or pinching a nerve.
I've been going for 3 weeks now. I haven't really felt any better, and it occurred to me this morning b/c I forgot my phone halfway on the commute and had to drive back home, and spent more time on the commute than usual, and I found pivoting back and forth on the pedals, I really felt the discomfort. I'm going to check out some of my co-workers' rides today to see their pedal positions.

I've found some threads on the search related to hip/back troubles from the seating, but the impact factor seems to be 50/50 (i.e. half the ppl feel no issues)
Old 07-27-17, 09:04 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

My friends CT seat is killing him, never had this problem before any other vehicles. needless to say he's selling it
Old 07-27-17, 09:21 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Had a friend with an SL55, low entry/exit and seats bothered him. Had to sell it. Back in the day when the first Lexus debuted, they'd actually restuff the seats for your comfort if requested (so the myth goes).
Old 07-27-17, 02:24 PM
campeau
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue with my AWD 3IS - for me it was left lower back. I spent months trying out all sorts of different postures, but I did end up finding the right position.

If you observe carefully, our seats are not exactly headed towards center of the car - rather angled a few degrees to left from the center. Perhaps something to do with the AWD hump, or maybe due to safety requirements.

Problem with my posture was that I'd been trying to sit "straight", not aligning myself with the angled seat, hence uneven pressure to my back.

This kinda sucks, but after accepting the fact and aligning myself with the seat, the pain has gotten much better.

I've also watched tons of YouTube videos talking about correct driving postures and postures that reduce back pains. Not many of them really helped me, but I found this one quite helpful:

https://youtu.be/XPhnoAfNano

If you have time, watch this paying attention to the angles of your joints. Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
Sybaritic (07-27-17)
Old 07-27-17, 04:07 PM
audioqueso
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Had a friend with an SL55, low entry/exit and seats bothered him. Had to sell it. Back in the day when the first Lexus debuted, they'd actually restuff the seats for your comfort if requested (so the myth goes).
They do that here in Japan.
I have a medical condition with my back so I can't sit upright. They offered to make a custom seat for me when I bought the car.
Old 07-27-17, 04:19 PM
audioqueso
Driver School Candidate

Sybaritic,

I had some back pain when I bought the car, but it didn't get worse until later because of an incident I had.
In my case, sitting in this car is the most comfortable position for me compared to:
- reclining on a custom computer chair
- reclining on a sofa/love seat
- laying on a bed

I now have to drive the car like a gangster (leaned back). I have a small memory foam pillow to support my back. The lumber support doesn't really help in my case.
I find the seat in this car to be very flexible to accommodate those who have back problems. I do not believe these seats were made without proper research and care. If they were made so easily, I think I would have more problems sitting in this car.
You may have to fiddle around a bit, but I think you'll find it to work for you.
Sybaritic (07-27-17)
Old 07-27-17, 04:20 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

It's all in the Gansta Leen'
Old 07-27-17, 06:40 PM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting.... I have also been having right side back pain for the past 3 weeks and was also wondering if it was related to the seats in my 2017 IS 300 fsport. I am also a new Lexus owner and got he car in May.

I really wish that the seats automatically moved back when you power the car off like my wife's Toyota Venza does. I find it difficult to get in and out of the car as I am only 5ft 5" so my seat is up pretty far. So not a lot of room between seat and steering wheel and I try not to rub against the bolstered seats as I don't want to wear out the edge of it. This twisting motion may not be helping my situation.

One thing I have done is remove my wallet from my rear right pocket and now put it in my front pocket. I felt that with the heavily bolsters seats in this car I could really feel my wallet pushing against me when I sat in the car for any length of time. I think has actually improved my pain a bit as it has been better for the past week.

Then again my pain could have also been caused because I clay bared and waxed my wife's car around the same time. That took me all day with lots of bending, etc. At 44 years old I am to old for this stuff. Lol.
Old 07-27-17, 07:57 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by campeau
I had a similar issue with my AWD 3IS - for me it was left lower back. I spent months trying out all sorts of different postures, but I did end up finding the right position.

If you observe carefully, our seats are not exactly headed towards center of the car - rather angled a few degrees to left from the center. Perhaps something to do with the AWD hump, or maybe due to safety requirements.

Problem with my posture was that I'd been trying to sit "straight", not aligning myself with the angled seat, hence uneven pressure to my back.

This kinda sucks, but after accepting the fact and aligning myself with the seat, the pain has gotten much better.

I've also watched tons of YouTube videos talking about correct driving postures and postures that reduce back pains. Not many of them really helped me, but I found this one quite helpful:

https://youtu.be/XPhnoAfNano

If you have time, watch this paying attention to the angles of your joints. Hope this helps!
Hi campeau, thanks very much for your insights! Yes, the seat is angled, your right. Makes sense given i had noticed that the right bolster never felt right until I shifted my body driving home tonight.

I also readjusted my seat to be farther away, and I'll see if this helps. I feel very effed up sitting at an angle while going straight, lol, so I'll see if this bugs me or not, If it still does, I will sell the car.
Old 07-27-17, 07:58 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by audioqueso
Sybaritic,

I had some back pain when I bought the car, but it didn't get worse until later because of an incident I had.
In my case, sitting in this car is the most comfortable position for me compared to:
- laying on a bed

I now have to drive the car like a gangster (leaned back). I have a small memory foam pillow to support my back. The lumber support doesn't really help in my case.
I find the seat in this car to be very flexible to accommodate those who have back problems. I do not believe these seats were made without proper research and care. If they were made so easily, I think I would have more problems sitting in this car.
You may have to fiddle around a bit, but I think you'll find it to work for you.
Domo arigato, gangster! Thx for your opinion.
Old 07-28-17, 10:50 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by audioqueso
Sybaritic,

- laying on a bed

I had a 3IS for almost 3 years now and I just found out that we have lumbar support in our seats.................
Old 07-28-17, 11:15 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most newer cars seats are crap, I think this is due to the NHTSA requirements for higher safety ratings.
Only cars with advanced seats are comfortable and doesn't strain back, nick, legs or any other location.
Old 07-28-17, 03:43 PM
FreshIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same issues. Forced to do the "gangsta lean". The only thing that helps me is a foam roller on the lower back, that thing is magical.
ttsport15 (07-30-17)

Quick Reply: Hip and Back Pain