IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What should Lexus focus on for the next generation Lexus IS?
Better engines and/or transmission choices
63.64%
Hybrid Option
1.01%
Interior Quality, Features, Fit and Finish
12.12%
Exterior Styling
1.01%
Audio/Nav/Entertainment
18.18%
Color/Trim Choices
1.01%
More interior space
3.03%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

What should Lexus focus on changing/improving for the next generation Lexus IS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-17, 02:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts
Post What should Lexus focus on changing/improving for the next generation Lexus IS?

I thought this would be a fun poll. And I'm sure Lexus will be reading this. You're welcome, Lexus. =P

I really like the IS but it does have some shortcomings. Here are my own personal opinions on what should change:

Interior: Our interior is quite nice, one of the reasons I got the car. The seats are perfect. However I'm not particularly crazy about the dashboard and the front door panels. They seem a bit cheap compared with the last IS. The dashboard appears wavy/a bit low rent sometimes. Fit and finish is pretty good, but I could do without the cheap looking dash trim. Also on the door panels, I could do without the drink/burger icon. makes me think I'm driving a rental car. Now I understand everything can't be top quality, perfect. Cars are built to a budget and certain profit margin in mind. But still, Lexus, you have a reputation and plenty of competitors. Oh the window switches look low rent too. Are they out of a Camry? It's just a generic rectangle. Get more creative.

Exterior: Of course it will be changed but I hope Lexus goes with a more restrained look. I think this is somewhat evident from the '17 MY change.

Powertrains: More power. Better fuel economy. Keep up w/ competition. BMW, Audi. Trans: The 8AT was great in its day but its showing its age. We need a snappier more aggressive transmission.

Lighting: All LED. Get with the program. Also better performing lighting. Something along the lines of Koito BI-LED projection used in the Prius. That's a performer. But also requires a large headlight and space for cooling. Challenge.

Entertainment: Better sound. Better nav screen. Better audio/hvac/screen controls. They come off as kind of cheap.

Anything else?

Last edited by E46CT; 07-26-17 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-26-17, 02:15 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Better paint.... chips so easily. But, I know there are after market options to prevent such damage. But, sht I spent 50k on a car, I would expect better and tougher paint work.

My 2012 Mazda 6 does not have nearly as much rock chips than my 2016 IS.
Old 07-26-17, 03:00 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can Lexus just give us the LFA for $40k out the door
The following users liked this post:
Joelseff (07-27-17)
Old 07-26-17, 03:03 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

I voted for better engine and transmission choices, but I'd also say audio/nav/entertainment as well. Lately I have been having issues with the infotainment, particularly Pandora just refusing to work, and it sucks that after 9 months of being a passenger/sometimes driver, my wife still doesn't understand it...
Old 07-26-17, 03:56 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

the ability to get a car equipped with both the f-sport package and the luxury package. it sucks that you have to choose between the two, you're sacrificing a lot going in either route.
The following users liked this post:
Joelseff (07-27-17)
Old 07-26-17, 04:07 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Seems like I got beat up several times on this forum for stating similar sentiments to what the poster above wrote...

I hate not having on FSport >>> Memory Settings (Seat, Steering Wheel, Mirrors), Auto-Power Folding Side View Mirrors (folks dishing out $1000s for this fix should understand), Power Telescopic Steering Wheel (ok ok no need to mention VGRS!!),

On another note when NAV says "Is this correct?", quite often it does not understand "NO!!". (Any comments regarding this)?

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-26-17 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-26-17, 04:51 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

We should all sell our cars and get a BMW instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by specONE:
mjh09e (07-27-17), Sheddy (07-28-17)
Old 07-26-17, 05:32 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
We should all sell our cars and get a BMW instead.
I'm gonna go buy the over priced, FWD STI.. #HondaTypeR lmao waste of f*kkkkking money
Old 07-26-17, 06:57 PM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

My choice isn't on the list. 'Noise' in general... I find the road noise and interior creaks/noises disappointing for a car in this class.
Old 07-26-17, 07:53 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely new premium engine. When a 12 year old 335i can outrun and get better gas mileage than an IS350 is sad. The 200t was a great entry into the segment replacing the old slow , bad mpg, no torque IS250. (No offense of course, I was a previous owner of one for 6 years. #2006_IS250)

the other change would be get rid of the bad infotainment system.
Old 07-27-17, 08:17 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Seems like I got beat up several times on this forum for stating similar sentiments to what the poster above wrote...

I hate not having on FSport >>> Memory Settings (Seat, Steering Wheel, Mirrors), Auto-Power Folding Side View Mirrors (folks dishing out $1000s for this fix should understand), Power Telescopic Steering Wheel (ok ok no need to mention VGRS!!),
I'm with you on this - they should at least offer the power-folding side mirrors and seat position memory with F Sport as options, if nothing else... And, the fact that you need to have VGRS to have the power telescopic steering wheel is a smell. I drove a loaner RX 350 and then a loaner ES 350, and both of those had the power steering column, though I'm sure they cost thousands less than my IS.
Old 07-27-17, 11:39 AM
Chedeng88
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely due for a new engine just to keep up with the times, but I love the reliability and smoothness of the V6 on my 350, so I'm not really itching for it.

My gripes are more on the small things like more interior storage space and definitely get rid of the console plastic that very easily gets scratched.
Old 07-27-17, 12:17 PM
silver14
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jay90011
Definitely new premium engine. When a 12 year old 335i can outrun and get better gas mileage than an IS350 is sad. The 200t was a great entry into the segment replacing the old slow , bad mpg, no torque IS250. (No offense of course, I was a previous owner of one for 6 years. #2006_IS250)

the other change would be get rid of the bad infotainment system.
I pretty much agree with this. The new turbo 4 base motor is a good upgrade, but the next gen should have a turbo six, making around 350hp and getting better mileage. The infotainment should have something like Apple Carplay, and hopefully work faster. I'm not a fan of the joystick thing either
Old 07-27-17, 01:25 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

This poll should have allowed us to choose more than one option.
Old 07-27-17, 02:59 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jay90011
Definitely new premium engine. When a 12 year old 335i can outrun and get better gas mileage than an IS350 is sad. The 200t was a great entry into the segment replacing the old slow , bad mpg, no torque IS250. ..
Hey @ jay90011 I've been driving Lexus for 15+ years, and for the longest time, as well as just recently wanted AND THOUGHT I'd buy something different. I test drove several BMWs (also Audi & Benz & GS350 FSport), and everyone agrees BMW engines are more powerful, constantly surging, and YES it's perplexing Lexus hasn't caught up to European counterparts in terms of gas mileage, however in my test drives I try to FEEL the car, taking into consideration how well all components work in conjunction with each other, and ended up with a IS350 FSport RWD with AVS and 18" wheels.

Sure, the engine isn't as powerful as some BMWs I drove, but the IS350 FSport just felt better and more confident cornering under acceleration > the car just plants itself in every angle/bend of turns encouraging you to step on the pedal whereas BMW just feels old school now. AVS working in synch with the transmission is awesome, agility, nimbleness, and of course reliability over the long run, are all wins. Power is there when ya want it, especially going around ~95 +/- on highways FEELS WAYyyy BETTER than BMW, and I disagree with folks who might diss IS350 steering. Dunno... BMW's drive and enjoyment of it thereof are just kinda boring these days, same ole hum drum, whereas the IS350 FSport gives ya something fresh and new to experience.

IMO Audi & Benz also beat out BMW but then you're getting up there wrt pricing, of course again the reliability aspect over the long run, and don't forget Lexus gives ya RED SEATS!! I'm surrounded by neighbors parking beside me with premier BMW 3xx's, 5xx's, Benz, GS350s, and my IS350 FSport is often the subject of car enthusiasts' inquisitiveness ~ you should see their faces lol Anyway, just ranting 2 cents!!

PS >>> WHY does BMW put dual exhaust on the SAME SIDE?? Not sure about engineering or technical details but staggering this on each side looks so much better...

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-27-17 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: What should Lexus focus on changing/improving for the next generation Lexus IS?