IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Oops Clipped Side Mirror backing in!!! LOTS OF PICS

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 11:41 PM
jkwiseeyes
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oops Clipped Side Mirror backing in!!! LOTS OF PICS

Long story short, this took place almost 2 years ago, I took pictures but never got around to posting them...

Anyways, I was backing into my garage in a rush (1st lesson, never rush) and clip my passenger side mirror.
I have a series of pictures that kind tell the story of the damage, short term fix and replacement.

In general, the plastic shell cracked in multiple places and popped off when it happened. My temporary fix used tape and zip ties to hold it until I could get quote on fix from dealership. Note. the sensor and mirror adjust functions were not harmed *thank goodness!*

so i went to the dealership and got a quote and it was +$500 CAD parts and labour so I was okay, I'll think about it (f*** that!). That was ordering a complete new set side mirror which I knew I didn't need (maybe a liability thing on their end) so I talked to the sales rep who sold me the car and he helped me a lot. He talked to the shop guys and we grabbed a drawing of the exploded picture of the side mirror, order only the shell which ran me $200 ish (I have to find that bill - found it - actual cost was $143.19 CAD taxes in ) and I would install myself. Turned out PREFECT!

So that's my story, sorry if this could of helped anyone years ago. I'll try to post the receipt and part number (when I find them - part number 8791A-76070-B4).

right hand turn signal still works!

tape + some glue
looks worst cause of winter salt dirt

new parts!!! part numbers to come
fresh!

easy!

Last edited by jkwiseeyes; 07-19-17 at 06:46 AM. Reason: added cost + part number
Old 07-19-17, 05:45 AM
Satake
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job on the mirror, but wth is on your car? Doesn't really look like dirt...
Old 07-19-17, 05:54 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Satake
Nice job on the mirror, but wth is on your car? Doesn't really look like dirt...
Road salt.
Old 07-19-17, 06:35 AM
jkwiseeyes
Rookie

Unhappy

Originally Posted by davyjordi
Road salt.
Ya in the Canadian winters, I do a lot of highway driving so the mix of salt, snow, water constantly splashing all over my car
Old 07-19-17, 06:46 AM
Satake
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yuck....that would drive me crazy.
The following users liked this post:
ttsport15 (07-19-17)
Old 07-19-17, 09:10 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Nice on getting it replaced. Could've changed to LED puddle lights while in there =P Same procedure involved.
Old 07-19-17, 09:18 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Satake
Yuck....that would drive me crazy.
Me too. lol. I wont take my car out even in the rain and never snow. Luckily I can use my wife's truck.
Old 07-19-17, 10:43 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

i hate the size of our mirrors. too big, too high.
Old 07-19-17, 04:04 PM
Lexus3GIST
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
i hate the size of our mirrors. too big, too high.
Whaat! I love the size of the mirrors. You really have to make sure your chair is in the perfect position though. There's barely any blind spots when I spend the time to adjust my mirrors.
Old 07-19-17, 08:58 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Someone broke my mirror and the dealership told me they would have to replace the whole harness (LOL) cost.... $1050 ish USD.
Made a thread here on it and a few of the guys were able to find me ebay postings of the whole harness (OEM) for like 120 bucks off the same vehicle, grabbed one and took the glass out and popped it into mines with the help of a member here. I actually still have the harness somewhere just in case I ever need it.

Glad to see you found an alternative as well
The following users liked this post:
jkwiseeyes (07-20-17)
Old 07-20-17, 04:42 AM
jkwiseeyes
Rookie

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Someone broke my mirror and the dealership told me they would have to replace the whole harness (LOL) cost.... $1050 ish USD.
Made a thread here on it and a few of the guys were able to find me ebay postings of the whole harness (OEM) for like 120 bucks off the same vehicle, grabbed one and took the glass out and popped it into mines with the help of a member here. I actually still have the harness somewhere just in case I ever need it.

Glad to see you found an alternative as well
Thanks but HOLY SHIET +$1000 USD... dealers always trying to money grab! I'm ultra glad you figured it out!
Old 07-20-17, 04:44 AM
jkwiseeyes
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT
Nice on getting it replaced. Could've changed to LED puddle lights while in there =P Same procedure involved.
you're right! i never thought of that until you just mentioned it... now I found it difficult to take apart even though half of it broke off. How did you find disassembling it while it was fully intact?
Old 07-20-17, 09:21 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus3GIST
Whaat! I love the size of the mirrors. You really have to make sure your chair is in the perfect position though. There's barely any blind spots when I spend the time to adjust my mirrors.
look at this pic. our mirrors are horrible. they should be vette style/size. vette mirrors don't combine with the a-pillar to block your view, they're lower/below your sight line, and smaller surface area.